What's with the constant App Ads on TGP?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BrentSP, Jan 31, 2015.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Only when I visit TGP, every 20 - 30 seconds I'm pulled out of the site and taken to the App Store wanting me to download a game or some app. Just typing this it's happened twice. It's only started doing this recently. What's the deal?

2. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

CCleaner, AdBlock.
    Phone use Clean Master.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. CS'56

CS'56 Member

This has been happening to me too! Driving me crazy!

4. adamg

adamg Member

TGP is pretty much unusable now.

This has been going on for a while, apparently the people managing this website don't care as long as the ad money keeps coming.

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Sadly, I agree.

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

never had a problem, but i don't use iphone aps to get here and being a gold member, the ads are blocked.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

What a bunch of ********. You have NO idea of how much time the people running this site put into it. Use the right ad blocking program and you're done. I have NEVER seen an ad on TGP. And I'm not a gold member. I really can't stand it when people slam other people and they're clueless about what's going on.

Apparently you don't care enough to do a little homework and figure out how to manage your internet browser as long as you can blame somebody else for your problems.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Known issue - hijacked ad redirects. It's malware.
    http://readwrite.com/2014/05/15/app-redirects-mobile-spam-ads

Easiest solution is to use Adblock. Fixes symptoms.

We have blocked all mobile apps from showing any ads on Google’s ad network and are working with Google to shut these types of things down the best we can.
    I had an online conference with Google concerning this issue, what I need to do is get both the ad URL and the redirect URL (I've now submitted everything anyone has sent me to date) directly to Google's Anti-Malvertising Team. They are aggressively pursuing this sort of exploit and what they require to shut these down are the ad served (URL) and the redirect.

So if this happens to you; replicate it and capture the URL's involved and PM or email (best) them to me and I'll get them entered in ASAP to shut them down 'at the root' (per Google's recommendation).

9. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Good deal Scott, thanks for the reply/info. The redirect to the App Store is so fast that I never catch the URL. I can be in the middle of lurking the forums or typing a post like this and BOOM I'm taken to the App Store. I then have to exit out and go back to safari. It's only been doing it for me for maybe a 4-5 days and as far as I know it's only in my iPhone and not my iMac.

10. CS'56

CS'56 Member

The problem is you can't see the URL. while trying to post this I was redirected to the App Store and it was for Guilt Groupe app. It's not always the same app they are trying to get you to download.

11. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Just curious if you're on a mobile device or a desktop computer. I don't run any type of ad blocker, can see the ads and have not gotten any redirects for a long time. I'm using Firefox on an iMac.

12. Scott Peterson

We have members that are capturing it and yes, it is a b**** to do it because of how this happens. If you can't do it it's understandable.

13. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Mobile

14. Scott Peterson

We've now removed all ads from TGP for all Supporting Members of any level. In addition to that we are working on changing the advertising network/server to one that allows us to remove the sorts of ads that use the technology these ad hijacks are using. That's a major endeavor that requires me to do some extensive research and work on but I am doing it.

If you do not want to be a supporting member then you can install an ad blocker; so there is also a free solution for those that have these issues and do not want to be a supporting member.

15. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Excellent! Thanks, Scott! My iPhone thanks you too.

16. adamg

adamg Member

AlienXNation is one of the advertisers causing this problem.

Can at least this advertiser be removed?

17. Jim-Dandy

Jim-Dandy Member

18. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Just noticed that. Two thumbs up!

:aok :aok

19. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

This is awesome. Thanks you guys.

20. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

That seemed to be the ad I was having the most issue with as well. I used to also get a weird Popup for a survey. I couldn't tell what ad it was for as I would instantly close the browser. This was on all of my iOS devices. I didn't have the issue on my Windows workstation with Firefox (and ad block).