What's with the K R Gypsy Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bosstone, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I finally gave up and canceled my order after waiting for 14 weeks, when I was originally told that it would take 6 weeks then 12 weeks, then more missed dates. I am still curious about the pedal because I like the way the sound clips sound. I am wondering if they sound that good in real use. If so I might wait to get one on eBay but I won't deal directly with KR again.

2. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

First of all I don't know Jack about the KR fuzz.. Have you checked out anything else? Maybe some of the Sweetsound fuzz pedals?? There are clips and videos on that site too. Good luck..

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

It appears that the man is/has been experiencing some growing pains with his business.

4. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Again I don't know diddle about KR. I have read all the threads here and it appears to be somewhat a selective service issue.Like I said key word being "appears",some folks have the pedals some folks don't.You read about the pedal,two or three folks have them then silence for months..It is a tough business..I wish KR safe passage in to the World of supply and demand..:cool:

5. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

Well, there is plenty of information on here and on his website about waiting periods. If you want a KR pedal, you have to wait. The only thing that could soften this blow is:

- Lots of patience on the buyer's end
    - More accurate delivery estimates on the seller's end

It's obvious Kevin is experiencing increased demand, and I bet he deals with the same part sourcing dilemmas that other boutique builders deal with.

FWIW, he makes a great product. I have a Mega Vibe that I can't seem to turn off.

6. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

if you're willing to wait, sure. if you're not, there are other pedals that will do basically the same thing and satisfy your fuzz needs.

7. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

Try contacting LA Sound Design (www.lasounddesign.net). They got me one in several weeks. Great Fuzz by the way.

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

9. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

Before i paid for mine he answered my email within a day.ive been waiting since june..ive tried to contact him many,many times he will not respond..
    Im glad hes keeping lasound stocked with them.

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I'm not saying that have some in stock (though they might), but it is a bit nicer to get on the list with them, versus KR, IMO.

11. wesv

wesv Member

Why dont these so called 'small' builders put on a few employees to keep up with demand?

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know but several possible reasons seem likely

- They want to keep the quality control. It is probably not easy to find someone that will check as thoroughly as the builder that the pedals are in spec.

- It costs a LOT of money. You don't just hire some manpower employee for this stuff. Someone that is technically adept at stuffing, soldering, reading components, etc. are not cheap.

- hiring someone, suddenly you gotta declare, take out witholding tax, etc. etc. and if they don't work out, you may have a hard time (at least in the old days) getting rid of.

- Employees you can trust are hard to find. They may steal, not show up...

in short, it is a huge step to go from a one-man-show, to a full or part time employee that is capable, dependable, and knowledeable.

It's just how it is.