1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What's with this speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Digby, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Hi all,

I have an SRO 12L speaker that is rated at 8 ohms and 200 watts. It came out of a Kustom amp apparently. Can anybody here tell me anything else about this speaker?

Thanks,

Digby

2. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

It is a POS and I'll give $10 for it.
    Kidding....I'l give ya $8...

Ok seriously I have read that Ted Nugent used them in old brown deluxes for that CSF tone. They are nice speakers though usually huge with the coffee can backs. Give her a try and you'll probably find she is a worthy speaker.
    Or sell it to me.... $5 last offer.... ;O)

3. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Wonderfully strong speaker, especially in the mid's.
    Steve Morse used them in his cabs back in the Dixie Dregs days. Also great for keys and if you bi-amp a bass. Gently push the cone in the front of the speaker to see if the voice coil rubs at all. If not, you've got a "live' one. Enjoy!

4. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

Great speaker...I had one in an old Peavey Artist back in the day and it was a killer.

5. Digby

Digby Senior Member

I take it that the old "9 volt" test wouldn't work here then?

Thanks gents,

Digby

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Weber can do a great job of reconing these, so don't sweat even if you do have a bit of rub. To my ears these are the perfect EV: can take all the power you can hand to them, but have more roundness to the high end and treat distortion a bit more gracefully than the EV 12L. A great find (and I'd buy it for $12 ;)

7. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Well, I hooked it up and it does work. But someone replaced the dust cover with (get this) the end of a soda can!!

I'm not sure what, if anything I should do about that.

I'm going to drop it into a 1X12 I have and play around with it a bit. I have a couple of Jensen reproductions made by Ruby if memory serves, but those seem to break up to soon. So I'm liking the idea of having a speaker that won't break up at any volume. but that d*mn soda can dust is causing me some distress.

Digby

8. PFunk

PFunk Member

Can-Cone?

I'll give you three bucks!

9. Digby

Digby Senior Member

No Deal! The shipping would be outrageous, this speaker weighs a freaking TON

I'm keeping it, but I may have to perform surgery.

Digby