What's wrong w/ my pickup? (Wiring question.)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by smallbutmighty, Dec 18, 2005.

1. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I replaced the volume pot on my Melancon today. Now that everything is back together I find that when I touch the pole-pieces on the neck single-coil it hums like mad! If I touch the bridge to ground it out the hum is quieter but still there. All the other pickups are fine.
    I've checked all my connections and everything seems fine. Any ideas?

A

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Sounds like a cold solder joint to ground - on the back of your volume pot. Try resoldering the ground connections to the back of the pot until the solder is shiny. Hopefully you didn't miss grounding one or more wires.

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Yes, that was my first thought. I've re-soldered everything to ensure good connections. Still...that neck single coild buzzes like crazy when I touch the pole-pieces. I can't believe the pickup could be bad...it's only a few years old.
    Seems like a grounding problem, but what kind of grounding problem could only effect the neck pickup. Could it be a problem w/ the 5 way switch?
    A

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

The only time I have ever seen this with a single coil pickup was when the pickup was wired "backwards". What would normally be the ground wire was used as the positive wire, and what was normally the positive was used as the ground. Now, sometimes this is necessary, to resolve phase problems. I have only seen this with Fender style single coils.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Agree with Jim. This will cause the condition you describe on a Tele to be sure. The cover is almost always in common with the ground of the guitar. Interestingly enough, you can break this connection if you want to experiment with some trick pickup wiring.