what's wrong with an epi les paul std?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frank62, Aug 13, 2006.

1. frank62

frank62 Member

i know this is a tough crowd that will bash even the new gibson vos pauls but i have been looking at the epi pauls and think they are very good guitars. anybody got one? tell me about them.

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Well, the Elitists were so close to the real thing, that Gibson pulled 'em. If you can find one floating around on the internet or in a mega-store close out, grab it and save yourself a few grand :)

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

What's wrong????? Laminates......Tonewood = Plywood.... They are glued together with enough pieces to qualify as a jigsaw puzzle....and that's just the body...... shall:horse I go on????

4. Junior

Epiphone puts Lester's name on quite a range of instruments. As a rough guide by country of origin:

Japan = Great

Korea = Very Good (currently, not so good many years ago)

Indonesia / China = Save your money.

Keep in mind though, that while you can only buy a Gibson from Gibson, the companies that make Epiphones also make guitars for many other brands. I understand wanting the real thing, I don't understand wanting a real copy. :)

5. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

And those UGLY-ass headstocks. I am convinced they would sell a shitload more guitars if they would make those headstocks a little more attractive.

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

Nothing wrong with Epiphone. People buy the best guitar they can afford. And if you can't afford it, then you make fun of it. Most of the people who make fun of Gibson could never afford one. Yet Gibson will sell every guitar it can build this year, despite the whining on forums. The people who make fun of Epiphone tend to own Agiles, which are the disposable camera of the guitar world.

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

I think the Japanese made Elitists are great, but I'm not a fan of the Korean and Chinese ones. I think the main problem that I have with guitars like Epiphones is that most of them are deliberately made with lesser materials so they don't compete with Gibson's models.

So instead of a licensed copy, I'd go with an unlicensed one like an ESP/Edwards because unlike MIK/MIC Epiphones, they are made of good materials to a high standard, often surpassing the quality of Gibson's production line (non-Custom Shop) models.

8. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

This irritate me to no end and is perhaps one of the worst things about guitar forums.

Here's a guy (frank62) that finds a type of guitar that he digs and he's reluctant to share his fun because of possible backlash.

Frank: nothing wrong with an Epi LP at all and the mere fact you like them is all that counts. Don't let anyone ruin your joy and if you buy one let me offer congrats in advance :BEER

9. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

100% agreed.

Frank,
    I have owned/played/gigged/recorded with hundreds of guitars ranging from '50s-'60s Gretsch/Rickenbacker/Gibson/Fenders to new RIs and custom built guitars to bottom of the line imports.

Here's a little secret......ready?

If it feels good in your hands and makes you want to pick it up then it's worth owning. Period.

Go find your guitar and enjoy it. :AOK

10. HHB

HHB Member

save some cash and get a Samick , same thing @ half price

11. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Member

In the end, a guitar is just a tool. Play what you like.

12. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Ok, I have a Real LP & an Epi LP Custom. I like them both, I did put Seymour Duncan Pups in the Epi but I play it a lot and it kicks big time.

Alos a nephew of mine who just dabbles bought a newer LP with some fancy weird top in purple, after we set it up and adjusted the pickup height and did an intonation sounds really good for what he's got in it.

Enjoy your Epi and dodge the bullets!

13. jay66

jay66 Member

A new Epi les paul on average runs about $500. For some of the younger musicians that are not making a whole lot of money playing in a band plus working a day job or 2. Even $500 is hard to scrape up so they play what they can afford. I have seen alot of bands around here and alot of guitarists play Epi's and you know what, there tone was nothing to laugh at. A guy that knows how to tweak his equipment right is going to get great tone no matter what he's playing.

14. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Frank,
    Something else to remember when you're on a budget:
    Entry/mid level guitar (that plays well) thru pro level amp is gonna sound better than a pro level guitar thru an entry level amp.

Take the money you save by buying an Epi instead of a Gibby and add it to your amp budget.

15. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

There it is. :AOK

16. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

[quote='70 RS]Frank,
    Something else to remember when you're on a budget:
    Entry/mid level guitar (that plays well) thru pro level amp is gonna sound better than a pro level guitar thru an entry level amp.

Take the money you save by buying an Epi instead of a Gibby and add it to your amp budget.[/quote]

i agree 1 million percent. thats the most common mistake made by guys just starting out in my opinion.

a teisco del ray would sound great through a Komet

but a true blue 59 Les Paul through a red knobbed SS fender stage 185 = $hit!

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

There is, or at least was, another side to the amp better than the guitar theory. When I was 12 (1967), my parents got me my first electric. An horrible Kawai with action that was about 3/16 inch at the nut! No ****! I hated that guitar with a passion, and had no idea I could have actually taken it in to have the action changed. They also bought me a nice little 1967 Blackface Vibro Champ. In this case, the nice little amp was of no use with the junk guitar, since it hurt so bad to play, I wouldn't play it. But these days, even the cheapest guitars like those you see at Target and Kmart are so much better than the POS I had.

I have no problem with the Epi as an Entry level guitar. Since it doesn't say Gibson on it, AND if a Samick is indeed the same guitar (which could very well be true) you might at least check those out before you make a decision. Resale value of an Epi LP isn't going to be great. And if you save the money up front for the same guitar, more for a good TUBE amp. If you are just starting out, which has not really been established, a little Fender Blues Junior is a kicking little amp for the money. My guess is that an Epi LP through a Blues Junior would sound pretty damn decent. :) And quite cost effective, too!

BTW, within 6 months my mom bought me a new Rickenbacker 330/12 LOL That was really a stupid move to have a 12 as my only guitar, but I played it in my first 2 bands all night every night LOL

18. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

scottlr,
    True, that is why I was sure to specify an entry level guitar that plays well.
    :AOK

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sorry, NOT plywood. Plywood is several layers of wood glued on top of each other.

The Epi's may have three, or more pieces glued next to each other. VERY DIFFERENT.

It was quite common in the '50's for Fender to use three piece bodies on Tele's and Strats, even with transparent finishes. Guess what, they sound great to this day and they AREN'T plywood.

I've been playing for many years and my current #1 is a parts tele with a three piece body. It sounds amazing. If it was good enough for Leo, it's good enough for me.

As others have mentioned, lower priced guitars have come a long way in the past 40 years.

There's nothing wrong with a Korean Epi, or most other Korean guitars. I haven't seen a plywood guitar come out of Korea for maybe 10 years. Heck, the cheapest solid bodies coming out of Indonesia aren't plywood.

To the original poster: If you like the Epi and it has the tone you're looking for now, buy it and enjoy.

Good Luck

20. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

I gotta say - I think I sounded better with my Univox LP copy through my '65 Princeton Reverb that any other combo I've come up with since. A bad amp can't sound good no matter the axe, but a good guitarist can make a marginal guitar sound great, and the Epi is certainly not a marginal guitar!