What's wrong with Les Pauls?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, May 13, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I'm thinking about another guitar. My teacher recommended against Les Pauls. Several of you on this board also recommended against LP.

I talked to a musician who also works at the Guitar Center. He said the complaints have to do with the inconsistent tone from guitar to guitar because of the variations in the wood (from guitar to guitar).

So, is that the complaint? Cause, if so, then I just need to play each individual guitar to find a good one, right?

2. ?&!

?&! Member

Gibsons in general tend to be very different from guitar to guitar. I don't know why, but you definitely need to play a bunch until you find one that speaks to you.

The general complaint with LPs is the weight. I had to switch to SGs because I have a neck injury that prevents me from playing 12+ pound guitars anymore. If you can handle the weight and you like the feel, you'll be fine with an LP. I loved them when I played them. Good luck!!!

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

If you want a les paul just play a bunch of them and get one. To hell with what anyone says.
    PS. They're awesome.

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I like Les Pauls.

5. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

+1

There's nothing wrong with them. Try a few out, and get one you like.

6. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

what a crock...................LP's are awesome

7. oldrock

oldrock Member

nothing wrong with LPs at all but they are heavy so be sure to play one with a strap standing a while to make sure that isn't an issue with you. When I was younger, they were no problem for me but now that I am over 40, I prefer lighter guitars for extended playing while standing. I tend to go to my LP doublecut with the P90s or a strat when gigging or doing long jam sessions with buddies now.

8. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

get an lp..... try a bunch.

9. pinefd

pinefd Member

I've got 27 of them and counting.

They suck.

:rotflmao

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Some of the best recorded and live music in history was made with off the shelf, stock Les Pauls. They far from suck. The haters are just that....

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

LPs are just too narrow for me. Pretty sad it comes down to an ergonomic issue but there you go.

12. hunkowood

hunkowood Member

My Historic is a great one. I guess I got lucky it was the second one I tried. Neck profiles were my biggest point and I liked the 60's neck the best.Make sure it it rings out unpluged. Buy what you like.

Hunk

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

I love my Les Paul... If your looking for "that sound" it's hard to get it any other way!

14. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I love Les Pauls, have a owned two, and have really enjoyed playing them. But once I got over the fact that a goldtop Les Paul will make you look like a badass, realized that Les Pauls are very expensive for the deviations in quality, and that Hamer makes one hell of a guitar and they can be found on the used market for far cheaper than a Gibson, I was a Hamer convert. I requested the free DVD that Hamer made of their shop and build process, and that just further cemented my love for Hamers and respect for that shop. They are one of the few technically non-boutique builders out there that still puts out a boutique-quality instrument. Here are my two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To me, these get "that sound" and more. Between Hamers and Suhrs, I am very happy.

15. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I played franken strats for years....but nothing wahllops a tube amp like a good meaty les paul....happy hunting....

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The Les Paul is a man's guitar. Some people are just not man enough. :D

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If you want to spend upwards of $6000 for a guitar yuou might find a great one.

Save yourself a ton of trouble and $$$ and get a PRS SC245. If that's above your budget as well get a Hammer or a Heritage. Lots of great used boutique options as well. (grosh, Tom Anderson Cobra, heatley). If you MUST have a Gibson though, and there is nothing wrong with that get an SG. Just my $0.02 worth. That and another $0.23 will get you a quarter. [​IMG]

Just my experince from years and Lots of $$$ spent on Used LP's.

18. sqadan

sqadan Member

Those sure are nice! I like Hamers also, great quality and bang for the buck. :AOK

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

20. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

LPs are one of my bread and butter guitars. To me, there is no substitute for one.