Whats wrong with my clone jtm 45/100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by apollon, Jan 26, 2012.

1. apollon

apollon Member

Hi all friends

I bought a clone of a blockend jtm 45/100 i payed almost 4000$ with shipping so if anybody can help me in the right direction i would be very glad.

I bought it new. And when i got it and i had the chance to plug it in
    the amp died and took a tube with it. I only got to play it for 10-30 minutes at half volume. the tubes is valve arts kt66.

So when i looked at the tubes i notised the chassie was a mess, the OT and PT was making the chassie cave down and the transformers was leaning towards each other. And the tubes was in contact with the trannie all time.
    So i contacted the maker and he said i have to pay the shipping back to him and he was going to straighten up the chassie. So i shipped it to the US and i had to wait 8 and a half month before i got it back. And when i did it died after 15 minutes of playing with the volume only at 11 a clock. like the first time. So i contacted the maker and he was going to make a reclaim for the amp cause it was insured.

So we did a reclamation at the post office and they came to the conclusion that the amp was not shipped with enuff protection. And he used the same box that it got dameged in the first time.

I dont know why some one could use the same box twice and expect to get the insurance payed out when he shipped it so it got dameged the first time. Then shipp it in the very same box again.

Now he dosent answer my emails at all.
    So i need some one that can give me some advice how i can get the amp functional or Some good tech that knows Marshall amps.

Thanks

2. Roe

Roe Member

First, a proper blockend chassis shouldn't cave down like that. Second, check bias and voltage on your tubes - it appears you are running the kt66s too hard (cf data sheets)

3. apollon

apollon Member

It is metropoulos limited edition

4. Roe

Roe Member

the early ones ran the tubes a little hard, that could be the problem. what's your wall voltage and your plate voltage?

5. Roe

Roe Member

just straighten out the chassis and find some tubes that can handle the voltage (or decrease voltage)

6. apollon

apollon Member

how do i fix the amp without braking the warranty?

Thanks

7. Roe

Roe Member

changing tubes and rebiasing won't be a problem. as to the chassis, ask the manufacturer

8. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I'm shocked. George is absolutely the best to deal with. 8 month wait? Is this the full story or was something else going on? I can't imagine it taking him that long to fix an amp.

Metropoulos makes great stuff.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Where are you located? just wondering...

10. apollon

apollon Member

My wall voltage is around 228-230.

And there was nothing else going on
    And when I got it back the trannie was still far from straight.
    Don't you think I am shocked?
    A 4000$ amp and I get this.
    I had to take a loan from a relative to buy this amp
    I still pay on it. 2 years have gone and George don't even care to answer my emails.
    I have lost much of my motivation to play
    This was supposed to be my dream amp.
    I can't even take it to a tech.
    But George haven't answered my emails since last summer
    So I guess I am alone in this. If he hasn't talked to me in-
    This time he isn't gone. I have to try to find a good tech
    to help me fix this amp.

I live in Sweden

11. thefyn

thefyn Member

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

13. Roe

Roe Member

then use the 240v primary, not the 220v

14. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I'd also try Merren Audio...or Germino amps. And when it comes to sending them the amp, ONLY SEND THE CHASSIS. Pack it well with rigid styrofoam and then double box it.

I've experienced chassis bending before, and the problem is much less likely to happen when you send the chassis only.

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If you're in Sweden get together with Roe. He'll fix you up. Sending it back the states is silly it will just get worse.

16. Roe

Roe Member

is the chassis still bent or is it ok? sound like you just blew a tube, that's all to common on these amps

17. apollon

apollon Member

Roe! The chassie is somewhat straight.
    But the OT (the trannie in the middle) has a 10-15 degrees off.
    Could yoIu fix this amp if I send it to you?
    I pay for all material. And I pay you for the work and the shipping of course.

If it would have been a Germino Greg would have it fixed in one month.
    Like he did with my club 40. When my Club 40 and my Classic 45 had some minor problems Greg answered my emails the same day.l will never ever buy anything from Metroamp again.

18. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

Man, sorry to hear about this... the first thing I noticed about a couple of those after market clone marshalls is the flimsy nature of the chassis and lack of transformer brackets. My Marshall 1959 reissue is actually made much better!

19. Roe

Roe Member

First, OT 10-15 degrees off is quite common on used marshalls. Second, I do repair amps but do not have much experience with this type of metal work (used to work on a shipyard), so I prefer to leave straightening of the chassis to someone else. Third, you should wait if there is a chance the postal damage claim will cover the damage. Finally, is the warranty voided?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  20. apollon

apollon Member

George stopped answering my emails after the post office made clear that he have not used enuff shock absorbing protection for the amp. He had insured the amp for damage but when we made the reclaim the discovered that the amp was shipped very poorly and did not meet the standards. So when he got denied the money for the insurance he stopped talking to me. This was last summer. So I can't get the warranty any how. But the chassie is pretty straight.