• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's wrong with my tone?

METAL

I have a Peavey 6505+ combo amp that I really like the sound of in the room. However, when I connect it to my Two Notes Captor and use impulse responses I can't get it to sound the way I like it. Just spent a few hours messing with IRs and amp settings trying to get something that somewhat decent and came up with this tone:

Using a 6505+ into a Two Notes Captor. There's an OD808 and Noise Reduction pedal in front of the amp. Using an ESP Horizon with Fishman Fluence pickups.

What's wrong with this tone and how can I improve it?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
The chuga chuga chugs could be EQed a little deeper deeper deeper ... but I'm listening to this on an iMac.

Thanks for posting audio ... we can give you opinions, but there's no substitute for real tone.

one4five

Not enough low end. Possibly the 808 is sucking too much bottom out of the tone. I'd try ditching that and try something like an OCD or even a heavier pedal.

FuzzyAce

What do you want to hear in your tone?
My only suggestion would be that personally for me it needs more clarity and definition, it sounds a bit too mushy for lack of a better term, mostly in the mids. I would back off on the distortion which may mean trying without the 808, but not necessarily.

Matteo11

Like one4five said above I think that 808 is eating the bottom out of the tone. If it had a bit more low end and a slight (very slight) reduction in gain I think it will sound great. IMO its like 90% there.

SimAlex

I have a Peavey 6505+ combo amp that I really like the sound of in the room. However, when I connect it to my Two Notes Captor and use impulse responses I can't get it to sound the way I like it. Just spent a few hours messing with IRs and amp settings trying to get something that somewhat decent and came up with this tone:

Using a 6505+ into a Two Notes Captor. There's an OD808 and Noise Reduction pedal in front of the amp. Using an ESP Horizon with Fishman Fluence pickups.

What's wrong with this tone and how can I improve it?

i think it sounds ... great. tight, great attack, lively. i don't really hear obvious problems with it at all.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Peavey 6505+ combo amp that I really like the sound of in the room. However, when I connect it to my Two Notes Captor and use impulse responses I can't get it to sound the way I like it.

Man I know that story.

Took me a long time to realise that I'll never be able to capture what I hear in a room with a mic, or IR (same thing).

twotone

The amp tone is okay. The bass strings sound loose and flappy. If I played that downtuned stuff I would consider putting a heavier gauge of bass strings on the guitar. Just my opinion.

jeff_lebowski

Its just under a microscope and you can hear EVERYTHING.

New strings vs old strings
Speakers
Pick attack
Any hum or hiss becomes way more annoying in a recordint enviroment.

You really have to spend your whole life doing this stuff to get it right and it seems like the folks that can, are the most successful

Trending Topics

Top Bottom