What's wrong with my velcro..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ASATClassic, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I have two pedals that won't stay in place. When I store my pedalboard on its end, the next time I open the case the same two pedals have slipped. The velcro has slided off the back of the pedals, and also slided on the pedalboard.

I've cleaned the pedals with goof-off to remove residue and re-attached the velcro, but the same thing keeps happening. These two aren't even the heaviest pedals on my board..

Is the velcro no good? Have you ever had this happen..?:confused:

thanks

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've had this happen, and it's the main reason why I gave up on velcro for the bicycle chain links. The adhesive on the velcro reacts with the paint or top coat on the pedal, and it loses its ability to stick.

If you visit my site link, you can see how I use the links on the full board. Scroll down to the second picture for a close up of links in action.

3. selahvie

selahvie Member

Are you using the industrial strength velcro? The standard velcro does exactly what you're saying, which is why I upgraded to the industrial strength stuff. It will not come off your pedals, even in extreme heat (standard velcro gets gooey and loses its tackiness). Since switching to the good stuff, my pedals don't budge at all. In fact, I can pick up my whole pedalboard by grabbing any one of my pedals - it's that strong. Unless of course you're already using the Industrial stuff and if that's the case, never mind... :D It might be what he said.

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Where do you get the industrial stuff???

5. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I'm using stuff I bought at Home Depot. I think it's just "regular" velcro. Where do you get the industrial stuff..?

6. kaseri

kaseri Member

Forget Velcro. Use 3M Dual Lock.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1!

I DO use the bicycle 'master links' for a Doobtone Micro Buffer II though. Only because it's so small and light and the 1st thing I'm plugging my guitar into. And it wasn't coming off, it was just pivoting around a bit. Those links keep it on FIRMLY. I wouldn't use it for all pedals though because I do like to re-arrange things from time to time!

-Ben

8. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

Exactly!

9. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Dual Lock

You will be able to pick up your entire pedalboard by just grabbing onto the 2 pedals that now slip - as an added bonus, it is easier to peal off a pedal without leaving any residue (except for my Analogman Beano Boost - removing the Dual Lock also removed the paint!:eek: )

10. tocs100

tocs100 Member

1st) Get a big, 2" roll of industrial strength velcro for about $6 at Walmart

2nd) Keep your strips thin as the stuff almost sticks too well, and also begin and end your strips an inch on either side of the pedal. The velcro will only come off if you distress it with your fingernail, and it did zero damage and left zero residue on either my Boss or DOD pedals. The stuff is pretty close to perfect (not counting it's a hair-magnet!):p

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

small strips.

I made the mistake of completely covering the bottom of my H&K Roto and when I went to take it off the board the velcro stuck together. The velcro was stronger than the glue holding it to the roto :-/

12. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

Remove the rubber pads on the bottom of your pedal then stick the velcro directly to the metal. My I had the same issue with my tube screamer.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

check out ebay seller daniull

I bought 6' of velcro off him, and it's more than I'll ever need! His other items are wicked as well

14. selahvie

selahvie Member

You can get it at Home Depot also. It's in the same section as the regular Velcro, just look for "industrial" on the package - it just costs a bit more. Get it at Wal-mart, though. I just discovered it's about $3-4 cheaper for the exact same thing. It's back in the crafts section.

15. 85db

85db Member

I found the industrial velcro from home depot very weak. I definitely couldn't lift my pedalboard by holding just one pedal.

16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

One bit of caution on the Dual Loc,
    I started my board using it on my pedals. As time passed and I switched out pedals, the dual loc has pretty much ruined the velcro on my board. I dont know how to pull all the original velcro off my board to start over.

17. selahvie

selahvie Member

You might not be talking about the same stuff I am. Make sure it's Velcro Brand Industrial. That stuff is anything but weak. If anything, make sure to not use too much (like I have with a few of my pedals), making them darn near impossible to pull off the board.

18. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

+1 on the industrial velcro...as long as you clean off the bottom of the pedals with naptha or some other solvent, it should be fine...a little does go a long way...the dual lock while very strong is really meant for more permanent mounting...the hook side is very aggressive, if you swap out pedals frequently, this could be a hassle...good luck with it...

19. 85db

85db Member

What do you mean you couldn't get the "velcro" off your board? I have a sample of dual lock and both sides seem to be "hooks". The industrial velcro on the other hand is "hooks" on one and "loops" on the other.

20. 85db

85db Member

Oh on, Velcro brand "Industrial" is what I got from Home Depot. I put two 1"x1" pieces on the bottom of my Voodoo Pedal Power (around the label) and the pedal can barely stay on the board! It's loose and rocking like crazy. Is this something you live with? Perhaps I should use larger pieces of velcro?