What's wrong with people on ebay?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EelEye, Aug 2, 2008.

1. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

So there is fairly expensive guitar I'm interested in on ebay. Like most things I buy, I had a few questions--3 to be exact. So I emailed the seller my questions. No response. The auction ends and he relists the guitar, but drops his price $250. I email him again the same 3 questions. No response. I wait a couple days and send him a note indicating that I'm not bidding until he answers the questions. No response. Auction is about to end again...WTF is wrong with people? I would have bought the guitar at the higher price if he just would have answered 3 simple questions...

I've sold a lot of stuff on ebay and always answer questions. Do people actually think they are maximizing the price of their sale by being noncommunicative? Crazy. I obviously steer clear of these types...

2. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I never bid on stuff if they won't answer my questions, even if it appears to be a good deal. You and I both know what normal seller behavior is. Not answering questions on a high dollar item it NOT normal seller behavior and I don't need the hassle in my life, regardless of how good a deal it may be.

3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I'd say there's a good chance that the seller never got your messages...eBay has problems with this sometimes and your messages may somehow have gotten filtered to the sellers spam/junk folder. I'd email eBay's customer service and explain your situation, they can probably contact the seller by phone and let him know you've been trying to contact him.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think E-bay was once the reservoir of a lot of initial good will. The cross section of people who still use it, use it more out of necessity now; the sale is no longer a very high curiosity factor as it once might have been.

People have other stuff in their lives that is much more rewarding than answering e-mails. You can spend your whole life doing nothing but, if you're not careful. Sometimes a quiet mind is more important than a missed possible sale. And a certain number of folks own and play guitars, yet simply don't speak the language of this or any other guitar board. And they don't want to be reminded of this. Finally, they'd rather sell to somebody that knows less than they do; this decreases the likelihood the deal will kick back.

5. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

I find some people either just can't be bothered to communicate or refuse to which throws up a big RED flag. Also some - not all - but some people think they're being cute lying by omission. They'd rather pass on you the inquisitive buyer that will ferret out their hidden agenda and wait for the unsuspecting naive newbie that will jump on the Buy it now button without asking any questions. These sellers typically use the caveat "ask all questions before buying" to hide behind once the misrepresented item arrives, and have learned how to manipulate the transactions in their favor.

Keep in mind this probably is a small number relative to the mass of sellers but I do feel they exist which is why I go out of my way to avoid eBay gear purchases unless the "legitimate" seller with good clear pics and a satisfaction guarantee discloses everything and answers all of my communications - I may even refuse an auction if the seller will not speak with me over the phone. A high feedback rating is also not all that it may seem to be as there are Shill bidders of the seller that feedback bomb with false positives. It's sad but these are all of the things I must be able to check off of my "approved auction" list before considering a buy. It may look like I’m a cynic but I’ve been an eBay seller and buyer for 7 years and have almost seen and heard it all!

Caveat emptor!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Some people don't know how to do business. You might get a better deal on items from people like this because they turn people off. But if you're not getting a great deal move on..

Jeff

7. geetarman

geetarman Member

Same here if someone can't take the time to answer some simple ?'s about an item I'm going to spend my hard earned money on I just move on because they're clearly not interested in selling or are a fraud.

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Sounds like the seller has something to hide by not answering your questions.
    Red flag in my book.

9. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

I have had 7 internal e-mails not get delivered by the eBay system recently. If you don't get an answer in a day, resend.

10. edward

edward Supporting Member

ebay has info glitches, but by and large, the message system has proven reliable to me, and over many years. So if the seller (or buyer) has communication issues, I refuse to waste my time with someone who does not display courteous business practices, let alone common courtesy.

Edward

11. mike80

mike80 Member

They also show up in the "My Ebay" section when you log in as well as being sent to your registered email.

No response to questions = no bid on item.

When I sell an item, I answer every question that I get, unless it's some lowballer trying to get me to end the auction early. If someone can't do the same, I'll take my money elsewhere.

12. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I agree - I won't bid if the seller doesn't respond to a question. And I always ask when they can commit to shipping, if nothing else.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

+ 1

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

It starts with seller ignoring questions. Then if you win the auction, what - he ignores queries about shipping? Soon you're in a nightmare where he has your $$$ and you've got a lot of ignored emails. Walk on by.

15. 5E3

5E3 Member

I'd not do business with anyone who doesn't respond.

eBay is not my favorite place to sell, with all the darn fees + PayPal fees, but the exposure is great.

I've listed an amp and guitar here in the TGP emporium for absolutely bottom dollar prices, had hundreds of hits according to the read counter, and sold neither. I bumped up the prices to cover eBay + PayPal fees and sold both on eBay within a week. :crazy IMO, if it has to be sold eBay is hard to beat.

16. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

very true. same here.
    i would RATHER sell to a TGP'r, but its a much smaller market. only on ebay can you unload pocket lint that looks like the virgin mary... theres always someone wanting what youre selling.

17. xStonr

xStonr Member

Another gripe of mine is when the seller does not use a real picture where instead they download something off the internet. I am an LP collector and bid and won the LP I wanted based on the seller's photo. When I got the LP, it was not as pictured. I would call that misrepresentation.