What's You Opinion Of Gary Hoey?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I was surprised when he started playing strats because he was firmly in the Charvel/Jackson camp (and later, Hamer) at the VERY beginning. I had never even seen a Charvel before and he had one. He never owned a Fender the whole time I knew him and favored what would now be considered "shredder" guitars. Probably a smart move switching to Fender in distinguishing himself.
Endless summer and animal instinct have Hamer Daytonas and S62's all over them. (strats by Hamer)...when hamer dropped those from the line, Fender nabbed him.

He had some very cool chapperall's as I recall...plus the hamer studios.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm no Hoey expert, but based on my hazy memories of old Guitar World issues, it seems like he came to the scene pretty late in the shred game, but sporting a pointy superstrat, and didn't switch to a regular strat till late 90's or early 00's.

Fixt it for ya. They beat it to death till it became almost a joke. That said, in the 90's songs still typically had guitar solo sections.

|Early 90's.

Judyis#1

Endless summer and animal instinct have Hamer Daytonas and S62's all over them. (strats by Hamer)...when hamer dropped those from the line, Fender nabbed him.

He had some very cool chapperall's as I recall...plus the hamer studios.

Hamer T-62 - amazing guitar.

LOVE Gary's Surf music, I have four of his discs including 'Bug Alley' and 'Money'. I need to hear him live....

BIGGERSTAFF

Nice guy. He was in town years ago, and staying in the hotel some buddies were playing at. He came down, and sat in with them, and hung out the rest of the night. My buddies were ecstatic.

DaveKS

+++++ x3
Big influence for me back in 90's, him and Michael Lee Firkins both brought the shred but also taught me that not every second of every song has filled with 10000 notes. His Hocus Pocus cover has been a staple for me as well.

Catchin up on some of his more recent releases now on Grooveshark, déjà Blue release from last year sounds killer. Such a varied catalog.

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome. I just wish he would switch to a vintage looking strat, or anything without that stupid american flag pickguard.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I spent the last few days running stage support for Gary and Bumblefoot on the Guitar Gods tour with Yngwie - a killer show if you can go.

Gary's doing Fade To Blue from Animal Instinct that he's not done live before.

He's made really smart career decisions I wish I had made "cover Hocus Pocus? Check!, cover Frankenstein? Check!"

Now I don't dare do covers of those songs because they're so associated with Gary but I hold nothing against him, he's a great player who has been a clever businessman.

I get the idea he'd been more higher profile if he'd gotten nationwide publicity earlier in the game but he's done very well for himself I think.

All accounts are that he's a nice guy who plays great guitar. What more do you want?

Mudder

I like Hoey. He may not create groundshaking new music but he is super competent and makes music I like to hear.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Saw him on the Guitar Gods tour last night and he was really good.
I lent a hand with my son to help Gary and Bumblefoot get the 1st few show off the ground. A great show if you can take it in.

This is Fade to Blue - Gary's never done this song live before.

Cymbaline

I love his Christmas music. Listen to it every year.

I dig the tone he gets through the little Pocket Pod here:

Trending Topics