What's your consummate Fender amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gibsonchild, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

Just curious. There's been a lot of talk here lately about blonde and black bassmans, which I honestly have never tried before. Lot's of people come from the deluxe camp, be it tweed or BF. Then there's the super reverb guys, the twin guys and the pro guys (holla!). 2 guys in the back row like the Prosonic. ;)

What's your poison, and why? Doesn't have to be one you own. Just the one you want/prefer/covet/scheme for. And it doesn't have to be just one.

Personally, I dig the BF Pro Rev. I've got a '66 2x12. It's just a good all around amp. Versatility personified, work well w/ an Airbrake and most pedals (no fuzz :nono ) Gorgeous cleans, screams if I need it to. Loud enough to lay waste to homes the next county over(admittedly, my street IS the county line).

That said, I have a '63 Showman and a M Vol SF Twin that are both great, but the Pro is a keeper for life.

I've also been fortunate to restore an original deluxe and a twin rev, both '65's. Both amazing but the deluxe gave me chills. Blue Strat set me up w/ some NOS tubes and it was simply stunning. The only way to describe it was 3D. The reverb was beautiful, and I loath reverb.

My boss at the time had a '49 Deluxe. nice but not my bag I guess.

A real bf deluxe is on my things to get list, as is a blonde tremolux.

I'm done now. Discuss.....

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

A good 6G6 B Bassman

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

my favorite fenders would have to be

BF Bassman, BF Super Reverb, and a BF Princeton Reverb

I've also played a tremolux, deluxe reverb, dual showman, bandmaster, blonde bandmaster, and plenty of SF super reverbs.

all of them sounded great, but my recent encounters with my top 3 have been awsome.

4. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Yes!!!

5. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Hands down the 6G4-A (Brown) Super. Tonally midway twixt tweed and black, small package for my aging back, amazing 2.5 tube tremolo. Mine has Jensen Alnicos from '62 - beats hell out of the standard Oxfarts.

Also on the podium are the usual suspects - BFPR, BFSR, BFTR, 5E3, 5E7/5E5 -- each great for certain situations. Not really a fan of the AB165 Bassman.

Honorable Mentions:
    1) 5D4 Super - crazy richness when you push the paraphase phase inverter over the edge.

2) My heavily tweaked '71 TR running a quad of KT66 and Weber Alnico Californias. Think Super Reverb on steroids.

6. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

If I could have only one, it'd be a brown concert, there are exactly no bad sounds in there. But I do have soft spots for a good BFSR, and Tweed Bandmasters. Something about those 10" speakers...

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Brown Concert 6G12-A. I prefer 4 x 10 combos, and while I like the Super Reverb, it's a little thin sounding when right next to a Brown Concert. This is a very versitile amp and with a handfull of pedals can cover everything from country to blues, jazz and hard rock. You miss reverb? Use a reverb pedal or a Fender spring reverb unit.

8. japhy

japhy Member

I like most pre master fenders , but given one rig , it would have to be two Deluxe Reverbs , tied together with an Ibanez Ad-9 delay .
    I used to have a '67 and a '72 that I ran this way. One DR had a 12ax7 in V2 and a greenback , while the other ran a 5751 / an Altec 417 .

I only have the '72 now , but wish I still had both.

9. 1964

1964 Member

If I could have just one Fender amp, I think it would have to be a BF Princeton Reverb.

10. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Black Face Super Reverb.

11. Trout

Trout Member

Oh Boy, My Favorite is my homebrew 5E7 I modded to have master volume & mid control as well as a multitap Bassman Output Transformer. Pumped it up to using some really smooth sounding KT77's, Split the caths on V1 and tweaked the V1 Bias seperately. Added adjustable fixed bias.
    I have never owned a more versitile amp.

Huge clean headroom and lots of grit when I need it. A tad loud at around 50W, But hey, I am 52 and Nope, Its still not TO loud!
    Trout

12. Brick

Brick Member

Brownface Deluxe
    These have more sparkle and headroom than Tweeds but not as much of either as BFs. I like that they have more midrange than BF amps. Plus I prefer the BrF breakup and love the Tremolo.

Blonde Bassman
    Brian Setzer...:dude

13. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Blackface Deluxe Reverb Amp

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have a 1965 Princeton Reverb, I want a 1964 Deluxe Reverb.

15. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

I will never part with neither my `67 twin nor `62 blonde bassman. The bandmaster is on the fence from time to time, but still a great amp. And you have to keep the SFVC since it fills that 5W niche.

The silverface bassman, eh, I don't use it enough to warrant my keeping it, and I'd hate to hack it up as a project amp so I'll likely be letting it go via TGP in the next week or two.

16. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

5E1 for recording, practice and very small gigs

5E3 for recording and average club gigs

5F6A for recording and outdoor gigs

And I have them ALL!

Ye ha!

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

I currently don't own any Fender amps, but the two I've owned/played that most did it for me were:

BF Pro Reverb
    Early SF Vibrolux (man I wish I still had that amp!)

18. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I think I have my Fender bases covered: blackfaced 78 Vibrolux and Clark Beauford (Narrow panel deluxe).

19. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I'm curious as to what the bassman heads sound like. I've played a 50W SF and the '59 RI combos. Where do the black/blondes fit into the tonal spectrum?

20. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I found a mint 69 this year and it's a wonderful sounding amp. Super Reverbs will always do it to me.