What's Your Craziest Gig Story?

Hey Everyone

Was sharing gig stories the other night with a friend and it reminded me of a gig I did a while back in Brazil. Well, didn't do after a massive traffic jam, huge storm, low tank of gas and all sorts of other fun stuff.

I wrote the whole story out here if you want to check it out in every painful detail.

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/the-gig-that-never-was

Which leads me to the questions. What's your best, worst, most outrageously funny gig story?

JWDubois

For me it would be the time when as a very naive 19 year old, I got a job playing bass in a Vegas style show band. This was sometime in 1977. After playing some of the local hotels, we got booked in a downtown club called "The Europa".

The musicians all wore matching suits which I hated, so I decided to change at the club. When I got there I immediately noticed something was a little off, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Anyway I asked for someplace to change and was directed to the dressing rooms. As I was changing, several stunning, but somehow odd looking women came in and began stripping. I was quietly stunned, but it was nothing compared to when the first one dropped her panties and I had a "Crying Game" moment.

That's right, your young hero had actually never heard of professional drag queens, much less hormoned up drag queens with tits.

I finally figured out that the Europa was a gay bar (a really novel concept for Knoxville TN in the 70's). I'm not sure if I was relieved or insulted that I didn't get hit on.

Anyway, the gig went pretty well, the crowd was really into show tunes ...

JWW

mikendzel

My old band, The Licks, was playing a show at this bar in the country, about 30 minutes outside of Baltimore (circa 1997). A chick tried to flash the band by crawling through a window behind us (6 ft in the air because the bar was built into a hill) and she fell into the bar, on top of me and our drummer. No shirt, and no escape. We were selling t-shirts, so we gave her one. She was hot too!

JasonElGato

A hot chick was sweet enough to bring me a cold bottle of beer. She was pretty tipsy and slammed it down on top of my Marshall half stack. The (beer) head frothed over, volcano style, and dripped down through the grille onto the cooking tubes and transformers. It was late in the third set so the rig was smoking hot. BOOOM! Crazy fireworks/explosions, glorious spitzen sparken display.

Amp toast, no backup. Luckily it was a two-guitar band and the other guy covered the rest just fine. I have never ever ever gigged without a backup since then. :)

Whoa, that's a cool story, but must have been terrible at the time. I had that happen with a brand new Acoustic Image head. First gig with the amp, plugged it in, turned it one, smoke out the back. No backup, not fun!

JasonElGato

Whoa, that's a cool story, but must have been terrible at the time. I had that happen with a brand new Acoustic Image head. First gig with the amp, plugged it in, turned it one, smoke out the back. No backup, not fun!
The best and worst part about it was, the girl was sweet AND gorgeous. And bringing me a beer. How the heck ya get mad at that?? :jo Aaak... So I took what beer was left in the bottle, and went out and danced with her the rest of the night. :dude True story.

Worth the repair bill$$? No way. But at least it was not a total loss.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Craziest gig story. I was in a band one time that played an original and people clapped.

Nice! I once accidentally poured a beer into my bass players brand new amp on a set break. Think wouldn't work at all. But we left it for 20 mins, let it dry out a bit and it worked fine. Good thing too, I thought he was going to strangle me with his A string! lol

The best and worst part about it was, the girl was sweet AND gorgeous. And bringing me a beer. How the heck ya get mad at that?? :jo Aaak... So I took what beer was left in the bottle, and went out and danced with her the rest of the night. :dude True story.

scottlr

It was early 1974, and my band from Texas had a 2 week gig at a hotel in Findlay, OH. We drive all the way up there, set up and play the first night (Monday). Five piece band (guitar, bass, drums, keys and a singer). When we were done for the night, the bar stayed open for a couple more hours, so the bass player, keys player and myself settled onto bar stools and proceeded to get giggly drunk. We decide we'd had enough, so upstairs to our rooms. This is an old historic hotel with an old fashioned manual elevator. It even had a little fold-down stool for the elevator operator to use. But no operator. You could stop it between floors and open the door.

Our rooms were on the second floor, but we went past it and were giggling playing on the elevator. We end up on the 4th floor, and got out and roamed the hall. There we found a pedal firetruck and helmet, and a ray gun. Being 18 year olds, of course the keyboard player gets in the firetruck and puts the helmet on, and the bass player is shooting the ray gun, which made noise and had sparks inside the clear body. I push the firetruck onto the elevator and we start playing in the elevator again. At some point, we stop it between the 3rd and 4th floors, and on the 4th were 2 pairs of slippered feet. A male and a female. The guy tells us to get up there, and we did. It was the hotel owner and his wife! She asks him, "Are these the clowns you hired for the bar?" And he fired us on the spot.

Turns out the entire 4rt floor was their home, and the toys were their son's. We then had to go tell the drummer and singer we no longer had a 2 week gig. They were pissed off.

The next morning, the keyboard player, who was and probably still is, a silver-tongued devil, went to the guy and talked him out of firing us somehow. We mplayed the whole 2 weeks, and it was a decent gig.

PaulE

Supporting Member
Here goes:
Probably mid 80s we used to play a local bar once a month for pizza and beer.
It was a good time every time.
One night this large girl (not fat just like like 6 foot 2 and real big boned) is sitting in a chair directly in front of us the whole night right up to mid 3rd set.
She asks me if she can sit in on harp.
Usually we didn't let people sit in (especially on harp) but we said "ok what the hell".
About twenty minutes later I see the girl coming towards us with a huge case.
Inside the case -you guessed it a friiggin full blown harp!
She proceeded to set up in front by the singer as the rest of us pissed our pants.

Goldtop

There's been a few but my favorite is when my band in about 1985 was playing the San Mateo County Fair. We use to do a ripping version of Whipping Post and we'd put Mission Impossible in the jam for a twist....well, we kick into Mission impossible and just as we do some guy goes running through the crowd with a group of cops chasing him...the whole crowd goes wild and we really lather it on at that point....couldn't have planned it and made it any better.....

R2112

Good story. Now, if you had told us that 20 years and eight kids later, you were still together, you would win your own Internet.

But a good story nonetheless.

Lolaviola

Supporting Member
We were slated to play CBGB's and the night before all our equipment was stolen. I begged the other band to use their amps, and had to play the CBGB's on a Gorilla amp.
:(

Baminated

During a set, the tip of the Drummer's stick flew off and shot up the bass player's nostril. He had to plug up the other nostril and stop playing to blow it out. Dude had a pretty big snout !

harpinon

We were playing a dive one night. Some drunk girl wanted to sing a song towards the end of the night. We were tired and just let her up there. :bitch
But not before I made a little change to the vocal processor. :stir I changed it to 100% wet, one full octave above-(minnie mouse)
Well we started the song and she sang a line and got this really strange look on her face. Then she sang another line or two, looked at the mic and just walked away stunned. :worried

I thought I was gonna soil my drawers. :crazyguy

I wish someone would have video'd that. It would have made a great YouTube vid.

Bluedano1

Meeting and and jammimg with Stephen Stills in the late '90's

I was playing guitar in a pickup blues band (The Allstar Blues Band/Allstar Music, Clarendon, VA -long gone...) and we had a kind of regular gig at old blues bar in NW DC. The band leader/store owner knew in advance (I did not) that Stills was going to possibly show up, as he was told that when CSN came to the DC Metro area, he would always come by the bar on an off night, for a jam.

Sure enough, we do the gig (don't remember day, probably a Wed or Thurs) and around 10:30 or so SS shows up, gets a drink, comes over to 'stage' (area no real stage) and asks to sit in- He has a guitar that is not a Gibson, but looks like an over-the-top ornate Les Paul type, plugs into the other guitar player's amp ( note-who was on break, the band was doing a few songs w/o him), So I get to play with him! (I had a red Strat copy>TS-9>'67 Pro Reverb) We played about 1/2 hour, did Red House, For What its Worth, and one other blues jam- 3 very long and LOUD jams! And Stills gave me lead breaks too- thanks! Then he just said "Thanks" and sat down with his drink.

My wife was not at this gig, neither were any of my other musical cohorts, as none of us knew about this 'till we were at the bar- but I know it happened!

germs

a lot of my "craziest" stories would get me banned - but worth telling over a beer or two in person (away from the wife!). the one that stands out to me as a "crowd in the palm of our hands" moment:

it was February 6, 2009. a Saturday night. the night before the New Orleans Saints played (and won) their first Super Bowl. this was a big deal because i'm in South Louisiana.

we're up on stage at a local hot spot, packed house. everyone's out getting their pre-game on. it was like a holiday down here at that time. we had been working on a new cover: Nonpoint's version of "In The Air Tonight". honestly never really occurred to me the situation or circumstance of playing that song - we just really liked playing it and been wanting to do it for a long time.

by the time we hit the first chorus...literally everyone was singing. bartenders, bouncers, crowd...you name it. 1,000 people had stopped what they were doing and started singing together in unison. i cannot BEGIN to tell you what that feels like. when the whole room has that moment of "connection" with each other. we kept it going an extra chorus, of course. everyone screamed like crazy when it was done.

halfway through our next song, things were back to normal..

I had a really good one a few weeks back. Overworked and exhausted, didn't want to play, and we had a gig in Baton Rouge. Our drummer called in the AM, sick, absolutely can't make it. So we found a replacement drummer the other guitarist has played with before. Only catch is, he wants us all to ride with him, since he pulls a trailer with his drums in it. We get in, he starts telling creepy sexual jokes, just a real odd guy... and is driving like a maniac. Tailgating on I-10, taking chances cutting in and out of lanes, I'm terrified.

We get to the gig, and find out our booking agent is there to see us for the first time. So i'm a nervous wreck, wondering what kind of disaster we're in for, wondering if the guy can even play, wondering if he'll get drunk and kill us on the ride home... we have a discussion about breaking the band up, and whether this is all worth it. As we're talking, the drummer is setting up the biggest drum kit I've ever seen. I'm thinking, OH GOD! Not good. Right before we go on, he hooks up his headset mic and asks can he sing harmonies.

And then... the gig starts. Turns out the drummer is a total beast. Amazing, playing like he knows the material inside and out. Adding a 3rd part to our harmonies, and really putting on a show. The place magically started to fill up. Wall to wall packed, and we had the whole crowd in the palm of our hands. Doing breaks where the audience sings the song, lots of interaction, the place going wild. Take a break, and I cant get to the bar because of so many chicks wanting photos. This keeps up the rest of the gig. Then, as we're ready to leave, he asks if I want to drive us back! We lived!!!

All in all, probably the best gig I've ever had, and one of the strangest.

Trending Topics