What's your current favorite Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I go through these things like candy and usually dig them for a day and then find some aspect of them (tone, attack, feel, etc.) underwhelming.

Right now I am REALLY digging the Creepy Fingers Fuzzbud. It's got one knob so I can't fiddle, great character (splatty and sustainy somehow), sounds great with HBs, good interaction with volume knob. Love it!

What's floating your boat? Anything new for anyone?

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

My favorite is the Lunar Module by a long shot I think. I sold it cuz I am a midrange junky and none of the other types of fuzz with more midrange did much for me - I want a FF sound. There is another thread about the Skreddy P19, which is a muff with a mid-boost and I hope he does that to the Lunar Module.

Currently, I don't have any fuzz, but when I play the dirty channel of my Bassman (its a mod) and kick on my Micro-Amp boost at 3 o'clock, it almost sounds like a Ge FF without all the hassles of a fuzz pedal.

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Plum Crazy Fuzzy Lady

germanium and silicon
    both in one pedal

4. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Lunar Module. It'll kick your mom and dad in the face.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

:rotflmao

6. Bigdrive501

Bigdrive501 Member

Basic Audio Foxey Lady,it's a muff at heart,just ruder,raspy and sits better in the mix

Craig

7. Crikey

Crikey Member

The G.S. Wyllie Moonrock has gradually asserted itself as my go-to. Sounds killer, super responsive to touch and the guitar's volume knob, and it's great for both of the neat things you can do with fuzz: "tones that sound good" and "tones that sound so bad they are awesome."

I got a Lunar Module not long ago and it is another killer fuzz. Now I understand why it has the reputation it does.

Heard some clips of a Fuzzbud and it's on my list for "someday".

Heady Jam Fan, if you're looking for a Muff with a mid-boost, that's what the Skreddy Pig Mine sounds like to me. And the Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. Those are both good pedals too. But then lots of guys just stack a TS-style or Rangemaster-style mid-humper into or after a Muff.

8. wailsound

wailsound Member

Fairfield - Four Eyes Crossover Fuzz

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I owned a Pig Mine and it is killer - no midrange boost though, only flat. However, the P19 is the PM's replacement, which offers a mid-hump (which I mentioned). I am not looking for a muff though, very different sound than the LM or actual FF circuits.

As far as stacking with a TS, I never really liked it. The TS before hand cuts out too much bass, which I really like in the LM, giving it a nasty, breathing bass-beast kinda thing, lol. Also, having the fuzz after kind seems to flatten the EQ of the TS, so I also lost some of the cut-through. Having a TS after made it pretty difficult to really tell there was a fuzz going on, just tamed the craziness too much I guess, cutting out the highs and lows that really make an FF shine IMO. Also, I find that heavily distorted pedals into cleaner ones tend to get a little muddy and lose articulation.

I wanted to run a LM in parallel to a TS so you have the midrange smoothness of the TS, but also the textured bass and treble of a fuzz. I hope Marc adds the mid-hump to the LM.

10. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

trombetta mini bone is my all time fav. For more of a fuzzy od, I adore the screwdriver. Any fuzz face I love as well.

11. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

I'm using the Lunar Module and Scarab Deluxe often and equally these days. Love them both.

Edit: also use the Screw Driver constantly, though not at its "fuzzy" settings.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  12. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

Although not the flavor of the month, my current favorite has been the same since I first had the opportunity to play one. Then 3 years later got to buy one.

Fulltone '69

13. wcraven

wcraven Member

Monsterpiece NPN, not only does it sound killer, but
    open one up and it's the cleanest thing you've ever seen

14. guitmatt

guitmatt Supporting Member

I am a sucker for most two trasistor circuits, but the Vox Tonebender circuit is my fave.

15. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

Same here, fulltone '69 not the mkII or the slight return the original. It's the only one I've played and has been my favorite ever since.

16. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

For Rock stuff my vintage Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

For Heavy stuff my EHX Big Muff π w/Wicker

For Flavor/Odubs I dig my vintage Vox ToneBender MKII, my VoodooLabs SuperFuzz, and Fulltone Soulbender.

I cheated on the answer, sue me...

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Have only bought one fuzz and it does all I need: fulltone 70 bigbox

18. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Octron >> Red Llama

19. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

This week it's the blue round Dunlop Hendrix fuzz face. Last week I was using my Fulltone 69 mkII. I also recently got to try the Trombetta mini bone. It is a thing of beauty. A sonic masterpiece of fuzz goodness.

20. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

went through the ringer with fuzz and realized i had all the ones i liked to begin with. I have a big box soul bender and a '70. Sold my NYC muff for a hyperion. Just got a melx fuzz 2 and it was the missing piece of the puzzel.

the melx is my current fav!