What's Your "Do-it-All" Guitar and Why?

Mine's the black American Standard Tele.

For what I like to play, it does the clean neck pickup really well, has a little 59 hum bucker in the bridge for higher gain stuff, and the other position is rewired to be the split humbucker for single coil bridge sounds. Obviously not a traditional tele bridge tone, but I like it since it's less ice-picky than the one that was stock. I'm playing everything but metal and country basically. Very versatile instrument for all other guitar genres. The white offset tele is stock so it can still cover a lot of sounds.

Music Man Steve morse Y2D With a Floyd rose. I’ve been using this guitar for everything for years. Only things I did to it was I switched out the Morse pickups for a set of axis pickups and put a 500k pot in instead of the 250k that came in it. Also I had the trem blocked so it’s dive only , I’m really not a fan of floating bridges. String changes just used to aggravate me so I had it blocked. It’s a very comfortable guitar and plays great. Only time I use another guitar is when i need to play a song in drop D . However I have another Morse for that.
Since the Axis pickups are usually not readily avaliable, what would you pick from regular Dimarzio line or whatever other brand you like for the job? By the way, what music types do you play mostly?... much appreciated...

A name that does not trip off the tongue the "Fret-King Black Label Corona 'DBR'"

A ridiculous amount of options.

P1 - Bridge P90

P1 with Varicoil rolled off - Bridge single coil

P2 - Bridge P90 and neck single coil

P2 with Varicoil rolled off - Bridge single coil and neck single coil (basically the quack position)

P3 - Middle single and neck single (4th position on a standard Strat)

P4 - Neck humbucker

P5 - Neck single coil

DBR.jpg

Epi Dot with Duncans and push pulls. I played it at a gig last Summer (3 sets) and never took it off, even when we did Crazy Train : )
Mine's the black American Standard Tele.

For what I like to play, it does the clean neck pickup really well, has a little 59 hum bucker in the bridge for higher gain stuff, and the other position is rewired to be the split humbucker for single coil bridge sounds. Obviously not a traditional tele bridge tone, but I like it since it's less ice-picky than the one that was stock. I'm playing everything but metal and country basically. Very versatile instrument for all other guitar genres. The white offset tele is stock so it can still cover a lot of sounds.

Haven’t found one. Don’t have one that sounds good with a Lowell George slide sound and can then turn around and sound like Texas Hippie Coalition. Haven’t found one where I can go Alabama Thunder P-U-S-S-Y into open E and do the Black Crows. Haven’t found a Black Label Society Guitar that rolls into Darius Rucker. I just don’t stay put.

I guess I could get a Kemper
Or something and dial
In some fake tone and then one guitar would do it all but that ain’t me.

Tone wise, this thing is a beast. 14 pick up settings (7 by toggle and doubled by push pull tone knob switching between .047 and .01 time capacitor).

The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 sounds incredible in this one, especially with .047 capacitor. I can get perfect P90 through Marshall Plexi growl , all of Page’s tones, Metallica, Lynch, perfect AC/DC and blues through nothing but my Mesa Boogie Triple Crown dry except I have a Boss digital delay in the FX Loop.

This guitar unexpectedly jumped to my number 1 mainly due to the incredible tones I can easily get with nothing but a dry tube amp plus it plays fantastic, but the tones make it difficult to put down.

DE2D52B3-E005-4E5C-BDDE-5B42CD91D674.jpeg

2074E35F-A12D-4DD0-BCF8-40685C5A630A.jpeg
949E3934-28FC-4682-B9F9-C792CD864B18.jpeg
FEF6D93D-B0B7-4F2A-9AC1-982EB1CDF25D.jpeg

Last edited:
Great thread! I love to see the variations... this is a toss-up for me however, I've been leaning towards my solid rosewood necked custom shop tele... ;). Plenty of girth and great clarity. Covers a lot of territory, sonically. The RW neck is just a sublime feel and a bonus for playing.

Great thread! I love to see the variations... this is a toss-up for me however, I've been leaning towards my solid rosewood necked custom shop tele... ;). Plenty of girth and great clarity. Covers a lot of territory, sonically. The RW neck is just a sublime feel and a bonus for playing.
sweet do you have a picture? I'd love to see it

In the past I would say it's a PRS SE Custom 24 as that's what I used in a covers band. It wasn't the only guitar I used, but it could have been quite easily. Other than that, I'd say an HSS Stratocaster. I used to have a Ritchie Sambora signature Strat many years ago and that thing was insanely versatile. These days, it's an LTD M-1000E, simply because it's the only electric guitar I currently own so it has no choice but to cover everything. I have changed pickups to a Super Distortion in the bridge and a hot PAF in the neck so it's certainly more versatile than it was with the stock EMG 81 set but it's still a 'do it all' guitar out of necessity rather than design.

G&L Tribute Legacy HSS.

I think any HSS guitar can do 99% of the things most players need for 99% of the music, and that's the reason behind most beginner guitars have a HSS pickup configuration. Personally, I chose the G&L because of the PTB tone system and the split-coil for the humbucker, and also because of its very good "value for money" ratio here in Chile.

That said, my ASAT Classic Bluesboy can do the job very well for almost everything from jazz to crossover thrash.

My Carvin CT4. It has the discontinued C22 hb pickups with coil splitter. I play mainly high gain stuff, but it does blues and cleans very well, and in ten years i have not had to setup anything again, still plays like new. it would be the guitar i would keep if i had to choose only one of my guitars to keep

Trending Topics

Top Bottom