Whats your favorite 10/15/25 watt practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChasR, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ChasR

ChasR Member

I'm searching for a 10, 15, or 25 watt practice amp that I can tote around with me in my car that has some "bells and whistles" for flavor. I do not like battery operated units. My budget is approx $100 - $300.

What is your favorite practice amp? Why?

Thanks for your input....

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well, it's a 30 watt, but it has a volume attenuator, so it can be as quiet as your alarm clock/radio, or rock out the whole 30 watts! Vox Valvetronix 30. Set at '70s era marshall with my p90 special it will make you cry. Set at Fender twin reverb with a strat... Well, that will make you cry too. It's in your price range too!:AOK

Be careful the smaller one doesn't have the volume attenuator.

3. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i just like a nice old champ (tweed, black or silver) all will work but they don't have many "bells and wistles" just great sound.

oh yeah and it is an all tube amp so keeping it in the car is probably not a good idea.

**edit** you can also get one as a kit and build it **edit**

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I usually use my old Trace Elliot vellocette. 15 watts, single 10" speaker, 2 EL84's. No bells or whistles, but it sounds good!

If you're thinking solid state, I'd look at the small Vox or roland cubes.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Top Hat Club Royale, great for everything, studio, gigs, home.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

7. Don L

Don L Member

I'll take three please! :D

Fender Blues Jr could be a good choice...

8. ChasR

ChasR Member

Top Hat is a bit out of my price range. Certainly is nice though.:drool

9. go7

go7 Member

For $100-300,can`t think of anything worth playing. Ebay blues junior or something like that ,at least you`ll get tubes.

10. Mark C

Mark C Member

For practice I use a Fender G-Dec. Ton of sounds, built in (albeit not enough progressions) band, Headphone Jack, Tuner and CD player inputs to let you jam with CD's. No, it doesn't sound as good as a real tube amp, but it sounds okay, is inexpensive, lightweight and does exactly what you say you need and more.

11. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Roland Cube 30 has some bells and whistles and is within your price range.

If you consider tubes as a bell or a whistle, then a Fender Pro Jr. would be a great one to consider.

12. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Tech 21 Trademark 30.
    I have a TM10 and I like it because it sounds like a crankin' amp at speaking volume. Seems like the little thing is on more than it's off and it always has a guitar plugged into it ready to go. I'm looking to maybe pickup a used TM60 which can also be had on the cheap, and is a little different preamp-wise and bigger/louder than the TM10 & TM30.

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I also have a Tech21 Trademark 10, which I picked up used for under $200. I like it, and the direct/headphone out sound is pretty impressive, particularly for late-night practicing. I've also been looking at getting a small, low-watt tube amp, like a Crate V58 or V8, Fender Pro Jr. (even if it's not low wattage), a Silverface Champ or trying to put together a 5F1 amp.

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Sorry, just read too fast.

I like my little Vox AD30VT, for $239 it is hard to beat.

15. stump

stump Member

Here's a few. How about the Epiphone Valve Standard- 15 watts, tubes, 12" speaker and DSP effects, $299.99 or less at most places- used Peavey Classic 30 Combo 2 Channels, tubes,reverb, 30 watts, 12" speaker about $150- $300 used. For a little more than $300 the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50 watts, 12" speaker, many good amp models and effects. I like the AD50VT better than the AD30VT due to the 12" speaker and increased wattage. Of the three amps above I like the Peavey Classic 30 best due to the tone and the fact that I got it for $180 used at GC. You can find these amps on the "Bay" as well as at most music stores. Don't forget that you CAN negotiate the pricing at GC, within reason. And, as always, try before you buy if possible. Good luck.

16. ChasR

ChasR Member

Just had opportunity to play with a Trace Elliot vellocette 15 watt, single 10". I am impressed with the clarity and power.
    A. I have decided to go with a small 10-20 watt TUBE amp as a practice amp.
    B. I am still going to shop other TUBE amp brands to listen for "other sound nuances". But I definatley am going with the TUBE!

Thanks to michael e for expanding my listening experience!;)

Seryph7:angel

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

Fender Musicmaster Bass, better than any of the others mentioned IMO (save perhaps for the Top Hat, but that's out of the price range). The MM Bass is a fantastic little amp, just replace the stock POS speaker with a Weber Signature 12 Alinico and you're set to go.

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Fender Pro Jr.

20. 1964

1964 Member

Fender Champ or Fender Musicmaster Bass