1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite 1x12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeS, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MikeS

MikeS Member

Looking for ideas on 1x12 cabs. Would like something big sounding. Something for a wide variety of styles.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance. :dude

2. e-z

e-z Member

I'm hoping my favorite cabinet will be the Bob Burt 1x12 that I have on order. It should be ready any day now.

3. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

TR112.

(Although I imagine a Bob Burt 1x12 would be quite the killer.)

4. brad235

brad235 Member

im the same as E-Z, but mines a tone-tools legend cab. it should be done any day. i can tell you that the fat cat 1x12 im borrowing sounds fantastic though. brad

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Custom Audio Electronics 1x12
    Bogner Cube

6. MattB

MattB Member

Bogner Cube all the way.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

Post with clip

The cabinet I used in the above clip is just a converted combo (internal dimentions given). You can here a huge difference over the small volume cabinet. When it comes to sealed cabs, size is everything.

I have a medium volume sealed cabinet coming (being converted from a combo as well), I'll compare to the above and see if it falls in between tone wise, or maybe is large enough of a volume to sound more like the large volume cab.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Tone-Tools Fat Cat 1x12 for me...
    http://tone-tools.com/
    Exactly as was described in first post - big sound, great throw, versatile...
    I understand their new Legend 1x12 is also killer, though it is for lower wattage amps - the Fat Cat model suits louder players (does sound good quiet too).

9. m1911

m1911 Member

Have a couple of Dr.Z 1x12's in open-back....Well built...Sound great!

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My favorite is the Bogner 1x12 Shiva cab. It's ported and contains a lot of poly batting which gives is tremendous low-end. It sounds more like a decent 4x12 than any other 1x12 I've tried (including Mesa, Mesa/Theil (sp?), Bogner cube, Bogner Metropolis 1x12 cab, Marshall 1x12, Divided by 13 1x12). It is NOT the same as a 4x12...but it's the best compromise I've found. I'd like to try the Tone Tools and Avatar but haven't found any yet.

Here's a clip of my Orange with a Emi Wizard through the Bogner Shiva 1x12. (With the clip I was trying to produce cone cry...but didn't :) ).

11. trucks

trucks Member

Take a look at www.earcandycabs.com. You described my Sovereign 112 pretty well. Lots of choices and Tim is great to work with.

12. Swampash

Swampash Member

Another vote for Tone-Tools :D

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

I don't know, those Tone-tools ( and some others) are kind of pricey. These are just wooden boxes, not supercomputers. Maybe better off going with a sultone.com and enjoying the distressed wood look once it gets beat up. :p

14. tybone

tybone Member

I am having good luck with one of these too.

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

Poly batting makes the internal size of a sealed cabinet react with the speaker as if it is of a larger volume than it really is. I don't know the A/B difference, but my guess would be that the change is equal to the difference in volume by a matter of cubic inches, not cubic feet.

Hi fi speakers will have a batting lining inside so that the internal standing waves don't cause mayhem. I don't think this is important in guitar speakers, as they are designed to distort from the get go.

My question??? ... if you are happy with the sound of your sealed 1x12 and buy a sealed 2x12 trying to get about the same sound, do you have to get one with twice the internal volume, or does the mathematics not double the volume needed? In other words, the internal pressure (and bounce) caused by adding the second speaker may or may not require twice the internal volume.

Yawn :eek:

16. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Is birtch ply, pine, antique pine, or another more exotic wood the best sounding? You see many made of each in every price range.

What is the best sounding covering? Tolex, tweed, nothing at all?

What's the best size cabinet for a 1x12?

I think you've got to fit the cab to your application for the BEST sound.

Right off hand, I'd mention Bob B. ,and also yell at Distortion. His Bubinga Vibro King cab was unreal looking. I like solid wood, and these guys can do a lot with it. Solid uncovered old pine is tough to beat for tone IMHO.

Good Luck!

17. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i've got an open back Mesa 1x12...love it.

dave

18. casazera

casazera Member

Hi Gulliver,

I could build them cheap too, but I choose to use hi grade materials and dovetail all my cabinets and give my customers a lifetime structural guarantee and also have invested heavily on research and sound engineering to provide the best sound that I can possibly produce.

Also at $289 for our Fat Cat 1x12, I don't consider that pricey at all.

Just my two cents, peace!

Cas, Tone-Tools.com

19. flicker180

flicker180 Member

Cas,

your pricing is right inline with what i'd expect for a 1x12. no worries... :)

dave

20. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

You could always try the O'Sullivan models at Walmart .