• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What's your favorite Acoustic guitar mic?

whitcomb

I've been experimenting with my SP C1 and an Avantone CR-14 ribbon mic for my acoustic guitar recordings and would like to buy a sd condenser (or a set). Which do you feel most strongly about or are your "go-to" mics for acoustic guitar. Currently feeding Gibson acoustics into a Great River MP-500NV and Solo 610 so the pre's are fairly colorful.

Thanks

loudboy

I'll usually go for a Neumann KM-184 or AKG 451 (not the reissue) or 460.

I'll use the 184 if it's an acoustic-driven arrangement. The 451 gives a nice zing, to help cut through a busy mix.

For stereo, a nice combo is a Royer R-121 (reversed) on the lower bout and a 184 at the 12th fret.

Loudboy

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
For my small bodied Brooks acoustic, I like the Josephson C-42.
For my cheap Epi dread, a md421 works best.
Guild 12 string, a Rode NT-1 works well.

DANOCASTER

Gold Supporting Member
Chameleon Labs TS-1 ( small diaphram tube condensor )

Peluso 2247LE ( Large Diaphram condensor )

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
Beyerdynamic MC 930 would be another to check out.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
My favorite recording was with a Neumann KM84. I've also had success with Josephson C42, AKG 451, Oktava MC012, and others.

I'm going to experiment with a Royer 121 to see if it has the same magic on acoustic as it does on guitar amps. I suspect I'll want more high end, but we'll see.

Bryan

DigitalTube

Silver Supporting Member
i'd think that a used KM-184 or AKG 451 will be a much better choice over the Shure SM 81, I own the SM 81 and never use it anymore, it's not a bad mic, it's just sounds too dead compared to the others in my opinion.

LSchefman

Depends on the guitar, and the sound you're going after!!!

On a very bright guitar, like a Taylor, I like something with a softer top end, so I might go with an Oktava MK012, and I'd surely consider a ribbon. For a Gibson, it's hard to beat an AKG 414. You get a nice, thick chunky sound. I like a GT33 on a Martin, I find it brings out the sparkly harmonics. And the Blue Bluebird is a nice all-around mic and a terrific bargain.

Except the 414, all of these mics can be had new for under $500. You can certainly find a used 414 as well in that range.

If you want a neutral sound - not all of us do - the SM81 is a really good mic IMHO.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
I never had a good time with a royer 121 on acoustic. Too boomy.
Where did you have it positioned? Front side of the mic or the back? I still haven't gotten a chance to play around with a 121 on acoustic yet.

Bryan

paulrocker

use the back of the 121 and a small condensor also
That sounds like a good idea.

I found that a lot of small and large condensers worked for me on acoustic. And don't get me wrong I love the royer 121. But the sound I got on the acoustic was a little too "sharp" for my taste.

onemind

A budget consideration would be the Rode Stereo Mic (NT4 I think) with the two capsules, quite nice. I like the mix of a LDC slighty offset above the soundhole, and a SDC on the neck (e.g. 414ULS/460EB) Panned wide. Sounds huge!

Trending Topics