What’s your favorite amp?

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
I’m planning a trip to NYC in a few months, going to test drive some Komets at Ultrasound if they have any in stock. Really looking forward to it based on your clips and testimonials!

My favorite amp is my Wizard Hybrid. Great clean channel, great dirty channel. The feel of the amp is admittedly difficult to play, but it is so rewarding when you’re warmed up and playing well. No other high gain amp that I’ve played had the focus and clarity.

Man, I think you’ll love them!

ertschemi

I just can’t bring myself to ever sell either of these. Partly because they were cheap, but they also sound great, are really portable and sound much bigger than you would expect in stereo.
D101C89E-E54C-4641-9755-9D8CBDFB0CF8.jpeg

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
REDPLATE Magic Dust Dúo ....Don't know about other MDD, I am talking about the one I own, lol. Was told once by it's builder it was the best sounding one he ever heard when I sent it back for a small mod.

Bogner XTC, a beast!

Matchless, Chieftain or C-30's are great.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I just can’t bring myself to ever sell either of these. Partly because they were cheap, but they also sound great, are really portable and sound much bigger than you would expect in stereo.
View attachment 577023
I have told this story but remember in the 90's before a show at the rehearsal place.

A friend comes with his band and his guitar player had 2 1960's and 70's.
I had my Tremoverb as we we doing back 2 back rehearsals.

After I heard that little beast skied I implored the guy to sell it to me and he never did.
We are still friends, but man, what a beautiful sounding amp!

59Jazzmaster

Just one, really? Can't even give you top 3?
My favourite amp is one of my Hiwatts - and the least desirable one too, from a collector’s standpoint: My 1982 Custom 50.

For whatever reason it just destroys. Huge, fat sounding cleans, ripping leads, and the best pedal platform ever created. I just love it.

…Seen here on the right!

QwWLSVY.jpg

You run vintage Ram's Head Big Muffs on it? No issues with feedback/headroom?

ertschemi

I have told this story but remember in the 90's before a show at the rehearsal place.

A friend comes with his band and his guitar player had 2 1960's and 70's.
I had my Tremoverb as we we doing back 2 back rehearsals.

After I heard that little beast skied I implored the guy to sell it to me and he never did.
We are still friends, but man, what a beautiful sounding amp!
I believe it; these are a ‘75 and a ‘73. Similar to your story, I went to a show in the early 2000s and the guitar player was playing two champs, and it rocked. I was on a hunt for two of them after that until i found both of these from the same seller years later. I thought it was steep at the time for $1000 cdn for both, but prices seem to continually be going up on these.

grritz

Live quiet. Play loud.
Silver Supporting Member
I had a Bugera V22 Infinium combo a few years ago...my first tube amp. I liked it a lot but sold it to a friend when I bought my second tube amp, a Mesa Boogie. My friend had a SS amp he wanted to give to his daughter, so I offered my Bugera to him at a steal (he was on the down-and-out financially at the time).
I've told him at least a couple times that I want him to sell it back to me if and when he gets another tube amp. I'm sure he will. I miss that amp!

Dashface

Just one, really? Can't even give you top 3?

You run vintage Ram's Head Big Muffs on it? No issues with feedback/headroom?

My top 3 of my Hiwatts are my 80s 50w, my 77 100w, and my 77 50w combo in that order :D

I run lots of hot-rodded Muffs on tour (Cornish stuff, Skreddy, etc)…. No vintage (though I think I have a couple of the modern reissues with me as backups).

Never a problem! Always sounds killer!

Last edited:

ifailedshapes

Gold Supporting Member
Asking this question is like asking a craftsman what his favorite tool is. All of my amps do different jobs.

Sorry for the non-answer.

FWIW, the next amp I want to purchase is a Suhr Hedgehog. Just can’t justify it yet…

LordByron

The Dude abides!
My best amp is my 3rd Power Kitchen Sink. Absolutely all-time-world-class Vox, Marshall, and Fender tones. Truly a desert island amp.

But my favorite? By a hair, my At Mars Persuader. Built from a Bell and Howell Filmosound, with a strong nod towards the Matchless Spitfire circuit. It is the Vox-with-extra-balls-meets-Tweed sound that lives in my head and calls to me whenever I pick up an electric guitar. Into my 1965a 4x10 cab, it is nothing short of show-stopping.

Ghostmaker

Dual Rectifier. I grew up in the late 90's / early 00's, so 'nuff said.

Actually a bit more. I love that huge, crushing wall of noise, and that menacing growl when letting a down-tuned power chord cry out. Certain editions also have real beautiful clean tones. Very versatile too if you know how to tweak them.

gunslinger

My Marshall TSL60 half stack. The cab is a 1960A with four Celestion G-12T 75w. My other three amps are a Marshall 2203X, a TSL602 combo and a Lead 12 micro stack. This amp has the sound that I've always wanted. It has a nice rich distortion without pedals.

My Black Widow Audio Designs MGP-1A rack preamp/analog modeler + my Rivera Venus Recording head power amp is my current favorite setup.

Any tube power amp that can push to saturation will do the MGP-1A justice though. It’s just currently running into my Rivera Venus Recording head. That one is 6V6 tubes and using a Rift Amplification EL34 voicing pedal. Preferred to go into EL34 sound and saturated on lower gain preamp models. High gain just needs super clean tube power amp.

It has all my favorite amp sounds in it:

Fender Bassman, Marshall JTM45, Marshall 1987 SLP, Vox AC30TB, Mesa Boogie Mark IV, Marshall JCM800, Marshall JCM800 Modded extra gain stage, Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb, Orange Graphic MkII, Diezel VH-4, Marshall JCM900 SL-X, Mesa Boogie Dual Rec, Splawn Quickrod, Engl Powerball, Deizel Herbert.

Every preamp a winner and accurate IMO, and all analog circuits + 4 Tung Sol preamp tubes.

Currently it stays mostly on SLP/JCM800/Orange Graphic MkII/Dual Rec sounds. I get use out of the other stuff too though.

Its a dream to play and very accurate analog modeling. No digital modeling in it at all. Preamps are really dynamic and sensitive on the Bassman/SLP/JTM45/AC30 channels. Goes from clean to roaring gain without touching anything or changing a channel. All Guitar volume and pick attack strength. It’s super quiet operation for such high gain channels in it.

I don’t have to pick just one favorite. Best I’ve ever spent on gear. Like having a Synergy system with 18 preamps in one chassis, but just 2U and nothing to insert/remove to change preamps. Simple 3 button footswitch for Clean/Crunch/Drive. Auto saves EQ settings for each of its 18 channels. Has midi capability if you want to use it (I don’t and don’t feel I need it)

Some of the best customer support I’ve ever come across too.

:cool:

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
Carr Mercury V It does the Marshall thing but has nice cleans and can chime. Tone holds up loud to quiet playing volume. Compact package with medium weight.

Also like the Bogner Telos a lot but wouldn’t be able to use it in my current situation due to its volume.
I had the opposite experience. My Telos has a great master volume and can sound great at really low volumes.

My 1st Mercury V (purchased brand new) had an attenuator that went from off to blaringly loud with no in between. After I sold it I bought a 2nd one used. It had a pretty good range of volumes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom