What's Your Favorite Analog Delay in 2022?

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Great list! what would you say are the main differences in tone that makes you prefer the top to the bottom of your list?

I've tried more than half what you have there, so I'm curious what you feel is the main difference in tone that make them more of your liking of course.

I've never heard of the DMB Lunar Echo, I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

I remember owning the Paradrive from HBE, my first "boutique" pedal, I'm gonna check the Mimic Mock too! do they still make them?

The new kid in town! looks are very cool, maybe one day I'll get to try it.
Again - disclaimer - I like them all. When it comes down to preferences, keep in mind home for me is the dm-2 sound. The ardx20 is very much in that range, but has presets and modulation etc. I don’t tend to favor the oscillation zone for whatever reason, so that isn’t a shortcoming for me like it is for others. The meet maude is super dark, but the repeats sit behind the main event like I prefer - and the modulation is like no other. The adg-1 se has more range in tone than both, albeit generally brighter at all settings. I love the modulation, though, and the ability to go with a square wave for some unique sounds. I also love that all of these have an effects loop.

After those top three we get to “vintage territory”. I was late to the DMM party, having tried a TT version some years ago and finding it pretty meh. I grabbed an analogman modded 80’s DMM last year to see once and for all what all the fuss was about, and stumbled into an ad202 as well. The dmm is obviously bright, crisp and has some cool aesthetic mojo. The modulation set for traditional vibrato is quite nice. I get it, but the lack of range for tone and the overall noise level under the repeats compared to my top three is real. The ad-202 is quieter, has a lot of range in tone, and is just generally “better” at getting to the sound I want in the moment - but it’s a big old rack, so there’s that.

After the top 5 there it’s petty much a pick ‘em. The vapor trail has an awful lot to offer for about $200. I’m still waiting for my perfect midi analog delay, and somehow haven’t tried the bondi yet even though it should be perfect on paper. What I have tried is the discovery and CBA stuff. The discovery I moved on because even though the features and control set up are perfect, the base tone is very vanilla. Super clean and a really excellent achievement in that regard. It should be amazing for folks stacking multiple effects, but I’m usually using one box at a time, maybe two. The modulation range is pretty tame compared to some others, but still covers a lot of ground. I think the tone range for repeats is wider than anything I have tried except the 202. Awesome pedal and I will likely try it again someday.

The CBA stuff is real fun - and in many ways it was “first” (at least from my point of view). In a blind test I’d probably grab the blue knob every time of the three. It has a bit of character that was compromised to get the brighter, and longer range of the RKM. The RKM is kind of like the discovery to me in that there isn’t necessarily any unique character going on, but it is tasteful and then has a much wilder modulation range. The thermae has essentially one really nice setting but the resonant filter is very temperamental. The pitch stuff is very fun, of course.

So that was long winded but there you go. Subject to change on a whim ;)

korb_br

pnm53R6.jpg

hippieboy

Again - disclaimer - I like them all. When it comes down to preferences, keep in mind home for me is the dm-2 sound. The ardx20 is very much in that range, but has presets and modulation etc. I don’t tend to favor the oscillation zone for whatever reason, so that isn’t a shortcoming for me like it is for others. The meet maude is super dark, but the repeats sit behind the main event like I prefer - and the modulation is like no other. The adg-1 se has more range in tone than both, albeit generally brighter at all settings. I love the modulation, though, and the ability to go with a square wave for some unique sounds. I also love that all of these have an effects loop.

After those top three we get to “vintage territory”. I was late to the DMM party, having tried a TT version some years ago and finding it pretty meh. I grabbed an analogman modded 80’s DMM last year to see once and for all what all the fuss was about, and stumbled into an ad202 as well. The dmm is obviously bright, crisp and has some cool aesthetic mojo. The modulation set for traditional vibrato is quite nice. I get it, but the lack of range for tone and the overall noise level under the repeats compared to my top three is real. The ad-202 is quieter, has a lot of range in tone, and is just generally “better” at getting to the sound I want in the moment - but it’s a big old rack, so there’s that.

After the top 5 there it’s petty much a pick ‘em. The vapor trail has an awful lot to offer for about $200. I’m still waiting for my perfect midi analog delay, and somehow haven’t tried the bondi yet even though it should be perfect on paper. What I have tried is the discovery and CBA stuff. The discovery I moved on because even though the features and control set up are perfect, the base tone is very vanilla. Super clean and a really excellent achievement in that regard. It should be amazing for folks stacking multiple effects, but I’m usually using one box at a time, maybe two. The modulation range is pretty tame compared to some others, but still covers a lot of ground. I think the tone range for repeats is wider than anything I have tried except the 202. Awesome pedal and I will likely try it again someday.

The CBA stuff is real fun - and in many ways it was “first” (at least from my point of view). In a blind test I’d probably grab the blue knob every time of the three. It has a bit of character that was compromised to get the brighter, and longer range of the RKM. The RKM is kind of like the discovery to me in that there isn’t necessarily any unique character going on, but it is tasteful and then has a much wilder modulation range. The thermae has essentially one really nice setting but the resonant filter is very temperamental. The pitch stuff is very fun, of course.

So that was long winded but there you go. Subject to change on a whim ;)

That was excellent! thank you very much for the detailed answer, I'm gonna check some of them, the Adg-1 SE sounds interesting and never head about it!

And yes changes might come and go, and even I haven't changed I totally understand thats part of the fun, at least for me!

A classic!

hippieboy

I love my simple MXR Carbon Copy. Great warm delay at a non boutique price.

Yes I love the Carbon Copy it opened up my eyes to the world of analog delays, for that alone it will always have an special place in my heart!

It took me a long time to figure it out, but the EHX Deluxe Memory Man is the perfect delay for me. I also use a Memory Lane Jr. on my board, but really just for variety. The DMM is still the king, IMO.

I've tried the memory lane jr very nice sounding pedal its digital though, right?

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Still by far and wide... 90's or 2000's big box DMM's with bright, open calibration. More noise, more artifacts... the most tone. Make em' quieter or more friendly and they sound like a million other "meh" delays.

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
Old DMM & Diamond Memory Lane 2 are my favorites still, though I only use digital these days and the old analog stuff stays in the cabinet at home.

Honestly I will never get the love for the Tonal Recall. Couldn’t dump the one I had fast enough, not to mention switches being too close to comfortable use anyway but by hand. Kudos to those who can make it work for them, my hats off to you. You have far more patience than I have!

hippieboy

Early 80s Ibanez AD-9

Bought it new and have only stepped on it maybe 1/2 dozen times. Has spent most of its life on top of my amps for gigs where taking a tape delay was impractical. It’s going nowhere till I’m dead and gone.

Because its always on?

Still by far and wide... 90's or 2000's big box DMM's with bright, open calibration. More noise, more artifacts... the most tone. Make em' quieter or more friendly and they sound like a million other "meh" delays.

Yes calibration it seems is very important for this pedal.

I kinda want to try the Discovery too, but out of all the videos I've heard the core sounds hasn't really impressed me, the features are great though. Maybe If I ever get to try it without buying I'd give it a shot.

Like a lot of people who are into delay, Im REALLY into delay. Just about as much as I like stratocasters.

I own a ton of them. And I rarely ever sell them, while I'll pitch an overdrive the second it looks at me wrong. I own some really characterful ones; Meet Maude, Dark Moby, AD4096 mk II, panasonic DMM 1100TT, etc etc etc. I think theyre super cool, and super fun.

But the truth is that my heart lies more with the 80s stuff; my actual favorite delay PEDAL is the Free the Tone FT-2Y. And I like my Tonal Recall a lot because it's got a good form factor, sounds great, etc., but the cleanliness of the Discovery for me is actually a feature, not a bug so to speak.

But who knows, I could get it and hate it. Or be meh about it. I am still excited to try it out though.

hippieboy

Old DMM & Diamond Memory Lane 2 are my favorites still, though I only use digital these days and the old analog stuff stays in the cabinet at home.

Honestly I will never get the love for the Tonal Recall. Couldn’t dump the one I had fast enough, not to mention switches being too close to comfortable use anyway but by hand. Kudos to those who can make it work for them, my hats off to you. You have far more patience than I have!

Really? I found it super easy to use, and the size its one of its main appeals to me! good thing we have options.

Like a lot of people who are into delay, Im REALLY into delay. Just about as much as I like stratocasters.

I own a ton of them. And I rarely ever sell them, while I'll pitch an overdrive the second it looks at me wrong. I own some really characterful ones; Meet Maude, Dark Moby, AD4096 mk II, panasonic DMM 1100TT, etc etc etc. I think theyre super cool, and super fun.

But the truth is that my heart lies more with the 80s stuff; my actual favorite delay PEDAL is the Free the Tone FT-2Y. And I like my Tonal Recall a lot because it's got a good form factor, sounds great, etc., but the cleanliness of the Discovery for me is actually a feature, not a bug so to speak.

But who knows, I could get it and hate it. Or be meh about it. I am still excited to try it out though.

Yes makes total sense, I think Suhr has a lot of 80s dna on them too!

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member

I think the discovery and it’s cleanliness are the result of meticulous work - absolutely no bug. I think it will complement your collection of more quirky delays nicely.

SG-Slinger

Because its always on?

Yes calibration it seems is very important for this pedal.
I guess I’m just old school when it comes to delay so yes it’s always on. I’m extremely minimal with its use. Certain songs I will adjust the level up but for the most part it’s just doing what I use my tape delays for. I have and have owned other delays(digital and analog) that do more ambient type stuff and they are fun at home and in the studio but live I just don’t use massive amounts of delay. I love what small amounts of delay does for my tone especially in a small venue. I prefer tape delays for the preamp tone but the early 80s AD9 gets pretty close. The later AD9 reissue just didn’t cut it…sounded cold.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom