What's your favorite BF Deluxe Reverb clone, and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frank Prince, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I'd like to hear opionions on improved clones like the Fargen Blackbird and Allen Accomplice, as well as variants like Dr. Z Z28 and Valvetech. Bring 'em on.

2. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

I would not call the Z-28 a clone of a Deluxe, they both use 6v6s but that is the only thing they have in common IMO. I am a big fan of Dr.Z amps but was not impressed with the 2 Z-28s I have played and I love old Deluxe Reverbs. The Z-28 was very bright and sharp sounding with lots of pick attack. Great for county tele pickers maybe but not versital enough for me.
    Mark

3. Robertito

Robertito Member

I am quick to say that my Allen Accomplice is my favorite amp (of many); to me it sounds like an "idealized" DR. It's built into a Blues Jr. cab, and has master volume, mid control, great reverb, and a Weber 12F150-T. You can hear it here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/roberttye

4. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'll add another question:

Are these amps truly worth buying compared to a DRRI? Money is tight but I don't want to buy something and regret it. if the DRRI comes "close enough," that is good enough for me. However, if there is a truly significant difference, let me know.

5. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Simple. It sounds more like a good Blackface Deluxe than any other amp I've played.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm not surprised. I have the 35. Nicest amp I've owned.

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Toss up between Allen Accomplice and a Fargen Blackbird. The advantage you have with the Fargen is Ben will work with you to tweak the amp to your sound. Ex.. If you want more mids he'll add more mids, if you want earlier breakup he'll do that to. Allen amps are all stock.

Chuck

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Tone King Comet:

4 6V6s that operate at 40 watts or foot-switchable to half power mode at 20 watts. A pure blackface clean channel, and a tweed channel with a midbite control to dial up some Marshallesque upper mids.

9. 1964

1964 Member

Fargen Blackbird.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a Z28 1x12, and I now own an Accomplice. Different beasts, for sure. The Accomplice is a very cool amp, I have the normal tranny set and I'm running the amp with 6L6's. I set up my amp for Fender BF tones.....nice low end and scooped mids. But the Accomplice can do alot more.....up the raw control and it gets more midrangey and gainy.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

So David won't change anything if you ask him to?

12. tdu

tdu Member

I had heard he will customize the amps, but I emailed him to ask about some options and he wouldn't do them. Someone on another forum told me they got a Sweet Spot without the bright switch, which is what I wanted, but he said it wasn't optional.

13. fractal

fractal Member

Construction is significant. I wouldn't hesitate to take a Blackbird on tour. The DRRI? Hmmm...

Just call Ben and be prepared for a great amp. I love mine.

14. Ric4001

Ric4001 Member

What about the Gretsch Executive? I think the circuit is pretty close to a Deluxe Reverb, and it's made by Victoria for Gretsch. Victoria seems to know what they're doing with the tweed clones, so maybe this would be a good clone of the DR.

15. TimH

TimH Member

Hrmmm...I'd be interested to know the frequency of pro's who tour with a DRRI and those who choose to go with the Blackbird? I'm thinking youd find the DRRI does just fine on tour.

16. tdu

tdu Member

I have always been interested in amps like the Allen. In my case I wanted a Sweet Spot (similar to Princeton Reverb). But I ended up getting a 68' silverface PR and getting it nicely tuned up for half the price. There are still great silverface deals around.

17. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Leofenderbender. I've dragged my Tone King Comet 40B around for several years now. No problems, and it sounds very BFDR. 20/40w switchable on the fly and a channel switcher - the other channel's a Tweed flavor, vol and tone with a mid-bite knob to dial in a little Marshall ...

For me, the clean channel on my Tone King Meteor sounds even more BFDR, kind of between a BFDR and a BF Pro.

I used to gig with a BFDR. It was fine during the "cocktail" set, but during the dance sets it got lost in the mix, even with a sensitive drummer, and even with an EV-Force 12" in it.

The Tone Kings let you play clean on 40w, the switch to 20w when playing leads. That's a really valuable feature to me, especially since theres no master vol. The "no master vol' thing is what helps it sould more like a BFDR, IMHO.

Dana O

18. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Can any of these three (Gries, Allen, Fargen) be had for $1000 or under used?

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The Allen will meet that price as a kit.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Here's my favorite DR "clone", "repro". This is an exact PTP "blueprinted" replica of a '65 DR. It does have an adjustable bias mod that is cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]