What's your favorite capistan settings for EP-3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tonecap, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

I was gonna ask what bias settings people used on the Capistan to achieve the best EP-3 tone but figured it would be better to just open the floor to all the settings. Trying to match the EP-3 sound but I have one problem. I don't own an EP-3! All opinions welcome. Thanks

2. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I spent some time with this a while back. I have an EP-3. Mine seems bright. If the strymon manual is correct, that would imply that mine is under-biased. So that is how I set my Strymon. My echos loose bass as they progress, not hi end like everyone expects. I got the two machines pretty close. Couldn't get the wow and flutter or tape wear to match just right, but I'm not all that excited about the "old tape" sound. In fact I got a flashback and am just in love with the 2290 ducking setting. So the flashback does my long delay and the Strymon is set to a multi head slap back sound which it does really well. It is still set to match the EP-3 in all other aspects. Frankly, tweaking it so carefully made no more than that last 1% difference in the overall sound. But it was fun for a while one slow night.

4. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

So in terms of the bias where were you setting it on your capistan?

5. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Left toggle up, right toggle down. Mix at 2/3rds, repeats at 2/3rds, Wow and flutter at 2/3rds, tape age at 1/3rd, time set by tap. Boom!

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Can't remember. Used my ear. If I remember to check tonight, I'll post.

7. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

You mean left toggle down? The left toggle UP would be the fixed head (aka space echo). Unless you saying you felt the fixed head sounded most like a single head machine (ep-3). I'm cornfused

8. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Whoops, sorry... that's what I meant!