What's your favorite Divided By 13 and why??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by localmotion411, Jan 5, 2008.

1. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I know people are going to be rude and tell me to do a search, but I already have and still need more information, so if you want to help me out, great. But please don't be rude.

I typically play rock, blues/rock, alt/rock, and country/rock, so our band covers quite a bit of ground. I could really use a two-amp setup but would rather have one amp and use my volume knob and pedals. I never need a pristine clean. I like my cleans to be nice and gritty, usually just rolling my volume knob down to get them. Don't need reverb. Could use a loop but don't mind reamping to get delay sounds.

I've been considering the FTR37, RSA23, and LDW 17/39, and am leaning towards the LDW. I've heard the master volume is extremely usable, and I need a good bit of gain available. I could get my gain from pedals, but at this point, I've determined that I prefer amp distortion. The FTR and RSA have always intrigued me and is regularly praised here, but I'd like a master. I could get by just fine in my band with a 50-watt Marshall, so I'm thinking the LDW would be great for me. I think I'd prefer the LDW over the JJN due to the chimy nature of class A amps, which it is in half power mode.

Any thoughts?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

For me its almost impossible to pick a favorite out of these:
    • FTR37 - for the Fender
    • RSA31 - for the Vox
    • RSA23 - for the Marshall
    I like some of the others models as well but some of them are little bro's or combinations of these models.

I ended up with FTR37 because it was the most unique D13 compared to the gear I had already own at the time of purchase. I already owned 3 pieces that gave me the Marshall/Vox vibe. So, adding another would be kind of silly at the time, unless I sold off the other pieces which was an option. It worked out because I needed something that gave me punchy, fat, and full tone cleans that was Fender derived. I also was going through a pedal junkie phase (still am...) and this one just took them like a champ, the best sounding amp for taking pedals I've tried.

Athough, I plan to "eventually" get something else in addition from the D13 line. Possibly, a smaller or "lower" wattage thing like the JRT9/15 in a combo or possibly a head and 1x12 setup. Maybe a 31 or 23, I just loved Lance's (Witchita) 31/23 rig. Complimented each other well.

For you, it seems you need to just ask yourself what amp tone are you after and there will be a D13 model doing it. I saw you mentioned 50-watt Marshall, so I hear the LDW would be great for that.

3. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

Are you sure you have RSA31's and RSA23's characterization like you wanted? I mean that may just the right way but some others would put them the other way around ;)

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Oops... I'm still asleep I guess...

EDIT

Thanks.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

I haven't played many, but my 9/15 is one of my favorite amps of ALL TIME, period. At gig levels it's right in that perfect amp OD zone and sounds huge. Vary the amount of OD with guitar volume, and hit it with a low gain OD or booster for more. Takes pedals so well. I've never had more compliments on my tone live than when using the 9/15. I may even get another just in case the one I have ever blows up - it's that good.

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The only one I've played is the 10/20 and I like it better than any 6V6 amp I've ever heard. Also takes pedals very well. The built in boosts take it into Marshall ish area. Great amp.

For exactly what you want the LDW would be my choice though.

7. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

What he said-I've had almost every one of Fred's amps at one time or another, and the 9/15 has been the keeper, for all of the above reasons-I'm a reverb guy, and i don't miss the reverb at all-With a good clean boost (Switchazel works fantastic)-It's got plenty of clean headroom for anything but big outdoor gigs-Great, great amp!!

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I've played three or four different models and prefer the fat huge sound of the RSA23.