• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What's your favorite Gibson for shredding?

What's your favorite Gibson for shredding?

• Gibson Les Paul

• Gibson SG

• Gibson Explorer

• Gibson Flying V

• Gibson ES-335

• Other Gibson model

Results are only viewable after voting.

pattste

A friend who's into heavy metal and shredding was telling me that Gibson guitars are not really designed for shredding because of the neck shape and radius. Yet many metal acts are using them. So what's your favorite Gibson for shredding and why?

It's more about the player than the guitar. I can do it on any electric guitar, and that includes all the Gibsons you listed. What some might not like is how the strings are lifted over the body, compared to more Fender-ish designs.

Reeltarded

Actually, the 80s Ibanez RG4something guitars are much better for playing, in general than all the Gibsons I have ever played, but I only had a limited deal with them, and when I ran them out of replacement necks.. heh, well.. I went back to the store bought guitars, so yeah, Les Paul.

Kappy

You can play speedy (and heavy) stuff on Gibsons. They have a nice, flat radius, and there's plenty of different neck carves for those who like thinner necks. The only thing some people might not cotton to is the Gibson scale length, but for me that takes about 15-20 minutes to get used to, then I'm playing pretty much the same way I play on a 25.5" scale guitar.

stoob0t

Im a huge fan of the discontinued Les Paul Custom Lite, quite a slim radius neck and a shorter scale than any other Les Paul i've played. Think they produced them from about '86 to '89.

Kappy

Im a huge fan of the discontinued Les Paul Custom Lite, quite a slim radius neck and a shorter scale than any other Les Paul i've played. Think they produced them from about '86 to '89.
What does slim mean where radius is concerned?

Bankston

Les Paul Axcess in particular, but any Les Paul will do

Tell your friend that Heavy Metal was invented and perfected by guys playing SGs, Les Pauls, Flying Vs and Explorers and that he is a frakking idiot

Caretaker

Platinum Supporting Member
Gary Moore, John Syles, Adrian Vandenberg, Zakk Wylde, etc, etc, etc have no problem shredding on a Les Paul. All I play are Les Pauls and I have no problems either.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
The Les Paul is my favorite Gibson and the only Gibson Model I own right now. I have 3 Les Pauls...

But my favorite when I was in a Hollywood 80's rock/metal band was the Explorer. Big ol' slab of mahogany, great upper fret access, nice balance etc...I had a Flying V too, but the Explorer worked much better for me.

I still think it's a very underrated guitar and a bargain on the used market.

I have to admit, I dig most of the Gibson Models and have owned many different flavors in the the past.

For shredding, it has to the Flying V or Explorer :RoCkIn

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a shredder, but I'd pick any solid Gibson, LP, Explorer or V.

Shredder issues might include pickups (not high enough output), the stock radius, and the neck profile. Everything except neck profile is easily changed.

I've had a couple of my Gibsons re-radiused when I got refrets. Mine are 16" and 18" now, with 6105 and 6100 frets. Pretty shreddy for a jazz guy LOL.

CJReaper

I "shred" on a Gibson V (67' reissue) all the time, in fact I find the neck a little to thin for my tastes. While I agree that it has more to do with the player than the model, from a practical standpoint I voted for the V for it's upper fret access and balance. And as others have stated, Metal was invented on a Gibson SG and refined with several other Gibson models.

Cheers,

CJ

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
My personal favorite is the Explorer, but for the fret access alone, I chose the Flying V. Whether or not you like the style, it was made to shred. Sure, you can shred on a Les Paul, but it's easier on a guitar that doesn't have a horn to get in your way.

jeffwith1f

If you want super skinny necks, look at an SG 61 RI
If you want upper fret access, it's hard to beat a V
If you want a bit more meat than a either of the above, the Explorer should work
If you want a classic "I'm a sheep" looks and tone, get a Les Paul. It can surely do the hard rock thing, but thicker neck, worse upper fret access, you may find yourself fighting the instrument more, but..well..they are undeniably cool.
If you want to surprise people, shred on a 335. Totally doable, and no one will see it coming. Sort of the flip side to playing Jazz on a V.

Trending Topics