What's Your Favorite Humbucker for Blues or Screaming Rock and Roll?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stringbendr, Jul 6, 2006.

1. stringbendr

stringbendr Member

I've read a ton of posts with differing viewpoints. Well, I've got a couple 'experiments' planned for this year so your experience would really help me pick some various pups to try out. I've already used a few in our guitars, but I would also like to try out your favorites too. H/H setup.

Thanks all!!

2. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I have WCR Fillmores in my LP 57 Ri Goldtop. The stock Burstbucker neck was OK but the Fillmore is more rounded, fatter sounding. The Burstbucker bridge was to brittle for me, the Fillmore bridge is bright without the icepick effect. I have found this set to be very versatile and they react well to tone knob and volume knob tweaking.

Other really good pickups are Duncan Pearly gates, Duncan C5 Bridge, Rio Texas set. I had a set of Pearly Gates in a LP Standard and cooped Billy Gibbons and other classic rock tones all day long. Big bang for the buck pickups IMHO.

3. stringbendr

stringbendr Member

Interestingly enough, the most commonly requested pickup is the DiMarzio DP100 seconded by Evos. Man, I appreciate the suggestions!

4. nland

nland Member

I have two import Fender FMT teles with a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. I'll vouch for the Pearly Gates too....I found them to be a little bit brighter than some humbuckers, but nonetheless great sounding.

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

My fav rock picks, in order:

PRS RP
    Duncan Screamin' Demon
    Duncan JB
    Duncan '59

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wolfetone Caretaker.

7. aywilson

aywilson P&W guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I exclusively played EMG's for years. Specifically an 85 in the bridge and either a 60 or 81 in the neck. For single coils, I really liked the EMG SA's or S. But, a friend suggested I try a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. I dropped one in the bridge of my Charvel Model 2 and I have never looked back. I also like the Duncan Hot Rails and stacked single coils. For a neck humbucker, I like Duncan's '59.

Alvin

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Wow! WILLIAMSON?! You do get specific about your location (I'm in Walworth...)

I always liked the Duncan JB for screaming rock. I used to think I didn't like the Gibson pickups in my Les Pauls and would replace them, but I currently have one with Burstbuckers and one with the '57 Classics and am making due. Both guitars sound good as is for now.

P.S. I might need your help with a bone nut and a dead note on one guitar (I think the fret needs a shave). We'll talk.

9. stringbendr

stringbendr Member

Howdy neighbor! I'm a stone's throw from the Post Office South of Old Ridge. Call first though, okay?

I might try the Pearly Gates, or the Hot Rails since I haven't used them before. The '59 and JB are too "hollow" IMHO. The Custom Custom is nice though.

WCR Darkbursts and Crossroads seem to be hailed as great pickups, so I might give them a go too. I'm more inclined to test pickups from somebody other than the SD or DiMarzio just because they are so "everyday".

Thanks for your picks so far!! I'm keeping a tally.....

10. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

For blues and classic rock I prefer Duncan Seth Lovers for a woody,hollowbody tone. These work well for Allman and Santana tones as well. The '59's also are right there and have a little more note definition and are fatter all around. As for screaming rock tones, a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge make for a great set up. JMHO

11. el34power

el34power Member

At the moment :rolleyes: I love the Bill lawrence L500L's Punchy, clear, dead silent. Very different than anything i have tried.

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Wolfe 50's mag set
    Caretaker
    PAF

13. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Duncan C5 user here.

14. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I have a set of Highorders, 7.8k Alnico III neck, and 8.5k Alnico II bridge. I love them for blues through classic rock.

I have another set that I got from True Tone Technologies that I put in an Ibanez Artcore AS-73. I went through HELL getting the pickups from Benny (which I won't go into here), but these things make that AS-73 sound like a sweet, fat sounding 335. Since I didn't end up with the pickups I originally ordered, I'm not sure of their construction. I guess it doesn't matter, because they sound terrific in that Artcore.

15. rooster

rooster Member

I second that. I have one in the bridge of my Heritage with a L495 (noiseless P90 type) in the neck. His pickups seem to cover lotsa ground, and if you've got a good piece of wood, they seem to bring it out. Just make sure you go thru www.billlawrence.com.

rooster.

16. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

custom custom is my fave bridge p/u. want to try the evh/78.

17. el34power

el34power Member

Yeah.... i almost bought a Seymour Dimebucker as a second L500L for my second silo. But decided the wait would be worth it....It only took 4 weeks to get it to my door up here :BEER

18. karma1

karma1 Member

A couple of my favorites:

DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone

Seymour Duncan Jazz/ Custom Custom

19. claythomas

claythomas Member

In my perfect order;
    PRS Chainsaw-will cut through anything and with a 5-way sounds angelic
    PRS HFS II-little more ass than a HFS
    PRS HFS-perfect all around rock/metal pickup
    EMG ZakkWylde 81/85 setup -dick in the dirt tone
    Fernandez Sustainer Humbucker kit-great warm rock tone!!:RoCkIn

20. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Bare Knuckle Pickups "The Mule" set for anything from blues to rock or a "Rebel Yell" set, the best all around pickups for me. The prefect balance between a vintage and a modern voiced pickup.