What’s your favorite jamming-with-backing-tracks setup?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Mar 19, 2020.

1. rkbrock

rkbrock Member

My recording rig is my fav jam spot....

Hardware: Scarlette 6i6, KRK Rokit 8's, Axefx ultra/HX Native/Sgear.
    Software; EZdrummer2, Superior Drummer 3, Google play music, Youtube, or whatever sounds I can get my hands on.

With the stuff above, the limiting factor is truly myself. It's a far cry from my amp and stereo setup years ago.

2. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Yes, the computer basically. Native or THU, Mainstage or Logic and whatever other software to play the track, hardware beyond an interface/monitors is not necessary in my experience.

3. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I'm another mixer user. I run my Atomic Amplifire 6 pedal board right into one stereo input on my mixer and then my computer is on another stereo input. Having full control on the fly for volume and planning for each input is very useful and it sounds great. I monitor through a pair of LSR 308s part of the time and headphones the rest (HD6XX and DT770s).

4. metallica86

metallica86 Member

Anyone can recommend a good budget mixer setup? Maybe under $200?

5. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I use a Digitech Trio pedal so I can make my own bass/drum tracks quickly.Works great and I never get bored.

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Pretty much any USB mixer should work fine unless you have specific requirements.

7. PickPlucker

PickPlucker Member

I'm with Toby..using a Trio+ with drums and bass run out to a Fender Acoustasonic amp, loops through out to a Fender Reverb and Katana 100 to jam along with them. Got the Katana plugged into my dekstop so I can get more out of it with Floorboard, but once I set up the tones I want, the footswitches do all the work. If I get bored with a track, I just teach it a new rhythm/key and/or change the style. Or I plug in the keyboard/lap slide/or mike the mandolin, (all of which I know how to use..not to say play...lol)..and overdub little accents.. It's really pretty unlimited, at least for someone at my skill level.
    I'm "at risk" so I'm in for the duration. Biggest problem is too much time to browse Reverb... lol..I looked at maybe picking up one of these just to maybe add some banjo or sitar tones....This guy has them priced right for what they are, not at retail...
    https://reverb.com/item/11978835-vo...red-frame-w-see-through-semi-gloss-black-body
    It's a toy..but looks like it'd be fun....

Madmax25 likes this.
  8. StreetwalkinCheetah

StreetwalkinCheetah Member

I have the Trio+ but have never really bonded with getting usable parts with it.

I was using my HX Stomp into an iLoud speaker with spotify via my phone's bluetooth connected but the battery died really quick after getting it and it has been sent back for a new one. I liked this but I can't quite say if I still recommend until the new one is here.

I can use stereo and spotify via bluetooth and my amps but I for whatever reason my receiver and phone do not play nice together.

So I guess computer for now. Helix Native + DAW or Cantabile, EZ Drummer or youtube/spotify.

9. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Helix is my Command Center. iMac iTunes and youtube provide the music and i use wireless for Guitar and Bass. I have headphones, iems, equator d5s, L3T ans a 1x12 cab for listening pleasure. Or just an acoustic guitar

10. Binh Chu

Binh Chu Member

So you mean can connect directly the HX Stomp to the iPad for recording? so which app do u use? can I use the HX Stomp as the mic of the iPad so I can record both audio (from HX Stomp) and video from the camera app at once? It will save a lot of time to sync video with audio. I dont have iPad but thinking about my iPhone Xs Max

11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I've been a Digitech Trio fan since it first came out. I build the track from a Richter Bassman amp, and mic it. I change to a Princeton clone for guitar parts, also mic'd. Add tracks as desired, mix to mp3 and fine'. Nothing world class but I have fun.

12. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

I need to be able to work with tracks for my upcoming gigs, but also need the flexibility to easily pull together basic backing tracks. I mic my amp (SM57) and use a Digitech Trio+ with my pedal board in the loop. Both the amp and Trio+ go into a Scarlett 2i4 which goes into a Mac which goes out to either monitors or headphones (Sony MDR-7506). Still using GarageBand and Transcribe! but have been debating going to a different DAW. Also evaluating if I should start using a loadbox & IRs in the evenings instead of mic'ing the amp.

Pretty basic set-up that has a lot of flexibility.

13. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Studio One Pro 4.6.

Next!

14. burningyen

burningyen Member

Same as my recording rig, MacBook->USB->Helix->Headphones.

15. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

While I have a more dedicated area, created another place using a mothballed GT-8 for laptop & headphones.

16. rauchman

rauchman Member

Use a Boss drum machine through my computer. It has 400+ presets of various styles. Forcing myself to play over rhythms I normally wouldn't has been inspiring and creative.

17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

You just need the USB to Lightning adapter, and then yes, it works directly. I use GarageBand, but any DAW will work. And yes, you can do a video, and that’ll be the audio input.

18. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

19. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

Vcaster likes this.
  20. KONTAKTMOI

KONTAKTMOI Supporting Member

A simple but very effective setup for me. A laptop running backing tracks, into Fender Mustang 1 V2 AUX. Plug guitar into amp input. PLAY. Here is the detail.

Backing tracks loaded from : Blues Unleashed Griff Hamlin www.bluesguitarunleashed.com
    40 PLUS full length GREAT backing tracks ( professionally made) and many more.
    Note: One of the CD's / offerings is called TRADING FOURS where you are trading 4 bars of soloing with Griff and go back and forth so you can listen to him jamming with you. This is an amazing tool..

Fender Mustang 1 V2 20 Watt. either using speaker or headphone jack . It will mix the AUX input with the Guitar input. You still can change amp settings and models on the fly.

And for additional functionality

Boss LOOP STATION RC-3 for looper ( between guitar and amp input. The RC-3 also has 10 complete backing tracks in memory slots 91-99 which most people do not seem to know about. Great tracks.. going on for ever and ever.

Recently I also got to know about ELEVATED JAM TRACKS on Youtube, just . Love it

Panders, MartinC and Vcaster like this.