What's your favorite lo fi delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earwax, May 3, 2015.

1. earwax

earwax Member

I liked the lo fi delay on the Strymon timeline. The Strymon demos direct in to pro tools sound better than what I could get out of it. Watched some videos of the Malekko 616 lofi delay and it sounds like it could be fun.

2. thesooze

thesooze Member

Hard to beat the Caroline Kilobyte for this sound (ie dirty repeats, not pristine, etc)

3. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Another vote for the Kilobyte. Crank the Space Invaders knob and then back the repeats volume down to tuck it underneath. It's amazing, really.

4. earwax

earwax Member

I have been looking at the kilobyte as well. I don't know if it's lo-fi or just dirt on the repeats. It does sound pretty great though.

I watched a timeline video and I kind of dig what he does at 0:25 and then at around 3:50.

5. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

See, to each their own. The bit crushing stuff that the timeline does isn't lo-fi to me. I suppose my definition differs.

6. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

Hardwire DL-8 has an awesome Lo-Fi delay I have that pedal for that delay only.

7. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

The Kilobyte is amazing but it is more of a thick delay that can get grungy like a DMM. Very different from bit crushing.

8. thesooze

thesooze Member

Agree with the posts above. If you are looking for bit crushing / computer glitch sounds, more than just simple dirt on the repeats, I would look for a delay with a FX loop and use a bit crusher in the loop.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  9. earwax

earwax Member

I take it you think this a better way to go than just a timeline?

10. thesooze

thesooze Member

I think it really depends on how much tweakability you need out of it. The Ekko 616 Lofi sounds cool, but probably not as tweakable as the Timeline. I've got a TL, but never played the 616.

I think even more tweakable would be like a Skreddy Echo with a dedicated bit crusher in the loop. Could probably get all the sounds you could dream of that way. Could even put your favorite OD in there for some Kilobyte tones!!

11. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

The old First Act delay, one of those cool items that sold for cheap, has a cool lo-fi sound. Mine has a mod to get rid of the volume drop.

12. thesooze

thesooze Member

Other videos of interest, earwax:

13. earwax

earwax Member

Those were interesting especiall the first one. Never heard of that bit crusher before.

14. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Red Panda particle delay is badass.