What's your favorite pedal for a JTM 45/100 type tone with a clean amp ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenny Blue, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I know that Jetter has their Gold 45/100 pedal...
    But what other pedals do a good job at sounding like a JTM 45/100 when using a clean amp like a Fender Twin ?

2. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Marvel Drive V2, Tech21 Hot Rod Plexi or the new Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe.....

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I haven't played the Jetter, but my Zvex Distortron works really well for those tones.

4. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

5. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

Marvel Drive. No competition.

6. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

7. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Menatone Working Mans Blue. Brian is the king of "amp in a can" and my understanding is that clean fender is his platform for his pedals.

8. ProtoGuitars

ProtoGuitars Supporting Member

FWIW, I am a happy owner/user of a 45/100, just used it tonight in fact! That said, I don't think it actually cops a Marshall sound very well at all. It sounds GREAT, but you would never guess that it was supposed be a 45 or 100 watt Marshall sound at all. It doesn't have very much top end or character, but it is very full sounding and well balanced.

As common and cheap as they are, you might want to try a Catalinbread DLS mkiii. There is a superlead/bass switch on the inside which, to me, is much closer to a 45/100 'switch'. I thought the DLS sounded particularly good and convincing through a totally clean amp. If you want to drop some bigger bucks, the DAM Sonic Titan sounds like there's a full stack stuck in your combo. Really natural and responsive, low noise, simple operation, has a bit more bite and bit less compression/sag than the Jetter.

9. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

This.

10. tylermoss

tylermoss Member

Distortron or BOR.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Snouse Black Box.

12. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

Weehbo. I've tried tons.

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Detox EQ into my JTM clone. When the detox is on the amp is clean. when its off I get glorious authentic marshall crunch.

14. Kenny Blue

I havent really been checking out the ZVEX pedal before this. Listening to the the demos of the Distortron pedal it does sound very good.

15. Phletch

Phletch Member

I've got a Distortron clone, and it does the job well with my Mini Rec set clean; completely changes the character of the amp giving a big, open, uncompressed sounding and feeling overdrive. I don't know how well it does compared to other pedals, but you really can't go wrong with the Distortron.

16. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

The (4 knobber) WMB gets my vote too. Sad to say, Brian's site no longer lists it as an available standard product.

17. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Another vote for the Marvel Drive.

18. Kenny Blue

I agree... the Marvel Drive sounds very good in the demo videos.... but pedals like the Marvel Drive and the Wampler Plexi Drive ( and a few of the other suggested MIAB type pedals) sound more to me like a JMP 50 or 100 Marshall than a JTM45. They have that sort of sizzle and compression that the EL34 Marshalls seem to exhibit.

I am mostly looking for a pedal which does a really good job of specifically replicating the sound of a KT66 / Tube rectified JTM45. That sound to me is more uncompressed, more out front ( for lack of a better way of explaining what I hear) tone... and biting when picked hard but not as much "sizzle" as the EL34 Marshalls.

In the demos I can hear more of that JTM45 charactoristic tone in the Charley Brown, Jetter 45/100 and the Distortron pedals. But of course its always hard to really tell completely from demos because of the video sound reproduction and you are not hearing it through your own set up in person.

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Definitely agree. I have a JTM45 (Wallace JTM45 clone) and I have the Marvel Drive. The MD turns the JTM45 (or any good clean amp) into a JMP50. It's a more aggressive tone that what you get when you turn the JTM45 up to 10.