What’s your favorite radio station or program?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Triocd, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

1. mdog114

mdog114 Member

2. tapeworm

tapeworm Member

Me too soon as wifey and the newborn are in bed. Gonna have to try to not laugh too loud.

monty likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I tuned into KNAC as soon as I got near Los Angeles & that was IT for me, LOL!
    It blew me away that there was a station that played real Heavy Metal ALL the time, stuff they'd never play on the radio back home!

Nowadays you can hear Metallica, Black Sabbath, & Ozzy on the radio, but KNAC over the air is unfortunately gone.
    They will send you a bumper-sticker if you mail them. I've got one on the fridge.

Here's another that's good:

http://hardradio.com

Full Metal Jackie is good, but I think you need to access her live feed on iHeart-Radio:

http://fullmetaljackieradio.com

I'm still pissed that I can't get FMJ to work on my PS4's iHeart-Radio app anymore, tried everything & it just doesn't function anymore.

4. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Greatest Radio Station Ever -- WFMU, East Orange, NJ. Still Freeform since 1968

https://wfmu.org/

Sample all the programs, including full streamable archives going back many years here:

http://wfmu.org/playlists

5. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

6. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

It’s making me cry. It will be hard not to wake the baby

tapeworm likes this.
  7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Grimace likes this.
  8. Rio

Rio Supporting Member

Ancient FM. 24/7 streaming, pre-1700 music.

Some of those estampies really rock!

Rio

Gig Young likes this.
  9. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

That is so cool! Any shows you recommend I start with?

GulfportBound likes this.
  10. Ab347

Ab347 Member

WFUV 90.7 N.Y. WDST... Woodstock N.Y. One of the last free form stations in the country.

11. sleewell

sleewell Member

car talk was hilarious. too bad he died. rip :(

12. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

When I had Sirius, it was Hair Nation.

Since then I just don't listen to the radio. I feel like I get dumber every time I'm subjected to it.

13. Fernando Vidal

Fernando Vidal Member

+1 for WFMU. Always an adventure, always a stressor on my wallet.

[​IMG]

14. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

105.5 KNAC Long beach, Ca at night 50 years ago.

16. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

NPR's Piano Puzzler
    Jazz in the Night WUTC 88.1 FM

17. AxelF

AxelF Supporting Member

18. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I got the old-time radio bite for the first time back in 1990, when I did my favourite uncle a favour and drove his car from upstate New York to his then-summer home in Fort Myers, Florida. (He eventually made Fort Myers his permanent home, until he and my aunt died within a year of each other in 2015-2016.) He left a couple of cassette tapes of old-time radio shows in the car, one was The Jack Benny Program and the other was Fibber McGee & Molly. I later found a couple of cassette sets of old-time radio and got a little hooked myself. Then came the Internet. And, my discovery that thousands of shows not only survived but were in the public domain and to be downloaded without any hassles.

My recommendations for you to get started---and keep in mind, at the link I provided you could get lost prowling around at all the treasure!---would be these:

Fred Allen---he was considered the comedian's comedian during his old-time radio heyday, especially the years he hosted the original Texaco Star Theater on CBS and, after a year off for his health (he suffered hypertension his entire life), The Fred Allen Show on NBC from 1945-49.

Jack Benny---One of a kind. And damn near everything he did in radio survives.

Easy Aces---A semi-serial comedy (too few survive but what does is remarkable) in which Goodman and Jane Ace fashioned her malaprops and his sense of the absurd (he wrote the show) into a kind of quiet, almost natural comedy (they and their cast didn't "act," and Ace invented a special card table with a microphone embedded in the middle and thus out of the way, so the company could just talk as if they'd talk while playing cards) which hooked around Jane Ace's facility for malaprops (her husband swore she was that way in real life) and Goodman's knack for coming up with malaprops for her that didn't just contort words. (Typical were Congress is back in season; I'll have it ready in a jitney; You could have knocked me over with a fender; This is the land of milk and money; and I've always wanted to see my name in tights.)

[Trivia: Goodman Ace eventually was tapped by CBS to create and run a kind of training school for comedy writers; his students included Neil Simon and Simon's brother Danny. When the network closed the school a couple of years after it began, a network honcho who supported Ace's endeavour told him, "I'll tell you a little secret---this networks doesn't have anyone else who understands comedy." Ace replied, "I'll tell you a little secret---that's no secret."]

Fibber McGee & Molly---What began as a rural traveling series of sketches became the prototype for what became the situation comedy, masterminded by a husband-and-wife acting team (Jim and Marian Jordan) and written by a master comic writer (Don Quinn) and delivered so warmly and affectionately you could make the case that, when they moved from Chicago to Los Angeles and began doing the show out of NBC's Hollywood studios, they showed the city slickers how radio could and should be done. And, just like Jack Benny, almost their entire run from 1934 through 1959---with only the major change of converting from a weekly half-hour show to a five-day-a-week, fifteen-minute, five-part story comedy starting in 1953---has survived. The supporting characters---Mayor La Trivia, Gildersleeve, the Old Time, Teeny the little girl, Horatio Boomer, Dr. Gamble---are almost as memorable (and legendary) as the main attraction.

The Great Gildersleeve---The first successful spin-off show in broadcast history, with Harold Peary taking his pompous Fibber McGee & Molly character to a new town to work as its water commissioner and finish raising his orphaned niece and nephew. His supporting characters (cantankerous Judge Hooker, indifferent druggist Peavey, full-of-herself love interest Leila Ransom, definitively undeferential black housekeeper Birdie, etc.) became almost as fabled as those on the show where he was born.

Lux Radio Theater---The absolute best of the numerous radio shows that adapted hit films and stage productions to broadcast. The entire run just about survives, but the years during which Hollywood legend Cecil B. DeMille hosted the show are considered the classic Lux.

The Burns & Allen Show---Especially the "Gracie for President" stunt in 1940, and after the show format changed as the couple aged but could no longer get away with their original flirt act because they were long married by then.

The Henry Morgan Show---Morgan was sort of the George Carlin of old-time radio, a wit who couldn't have cared less about comedy conventions and wasn't above zapping even his own sponsors. (It began with a fifteen-minute almost entirely improvised exercise, Here's Morgan, sponsored by a regional shoe store chain; Morgan so often made jokes about "Old Man Adler" that when the chain was ready to dump him they discovered customers flocking to their stores asking to meet Old Man Adler! The gag didn't endure and neither did Morgan under Adler's sponsorship, alas, but he had more innings yet to play.) Not much of his shows have survived but what did survive is priceless.

Information, Please---Radio's brainiest quiz show could also be and usually was chock full of wit.

Gunsmoke---If you remember the television hit, be forewarned: the radio original beats it hollow and makes it sound like an exercise in stupid . . . even though the TV version often adapted and remade scripts from the radio original. (Future The Fugitive narrator and Cannon star William Conrad played Marshal Dillon; the radio cast wasn't even a topic for the television version, but they were better actors.) To me it was one of the two most intelligently written and performed Westerns in radio, the other being . . .

The Six Shooter---With James Stewart as a laconic drifter plains drifter who preferred reason to drawing his well-described pistol, this show that lasted a mere single season was probably the most intelligent Western radio ever yielded. A real treat: the show's Western style remake of a Dickens classic, in an episode called "Britt Ponset's Christmas Carol."

Dragnet---Every radio buff starts here when it comes to old-time radio crime dramas, and practically the entire radio run survives. But don't stay there, because as good as it was (and "The .22 Rifle for Christmas" and "The Big Little Jesus" remain classics) there was one better around the same time (early 1950s):

Broadway is My Beat---Maybe the single most realistic crime drama in radio. Even the sound made you think you really were out on the beat with Manhattan detective Danny Clover.

The Whistler---Born in 1942 and stood the crime drama convention on its head: the often snickering title narrator (I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night, began his once-famous introduction) began by telling you whodunit---or who most likely dunit---and then took you through the series of events that led to the crime. (Jack Benny did a hilarious parody of the show in his episode, "The Fiddler.")

Hear It Now---CBS News legend Edward R. Murrow's originally weekly magazine, which began in radio before becoming television's groundbreaking See It Now.

World War II News---Trainloads of newscasts and clips from World War II and its run-up survive. Pay particular attention to CBS World News Today from those years (and the few that survived from its predecessor program, CBS European News); that program, especially, puts you practically in the American living room of the time tracking the progress of the war right down to the Japanese surrender. And, pay attention to just about the entire first day of the D-Day invasion in 1944. And look for such legendary wartime commentators as Murrow, Elmer Davis, H.V. Kaltenborn, Gabriel Heatter, and Drew Pearson.

Bob & Ray Present the CBS Radio Network---The master comic improvisors were never better than the two years they did this daily fifteen-minute daytime exercise on CBS in 1959-60. Most of the bits for which they're best remembered are present: Smelly Dave the touring dead whale; on-the-edge-of-a-breakdown reporter Arthur Shrank; sci-fi satire "Lawrence Fechtenberger, Interstellar Officer Candidate" (sponsored invariably by "Chocolate cookies with white stuff in the middle"); the soap opera parodies "One Fella's Family" and "Mary Backstage, Noble Wife"; Wally Ballou, the on-the-scene reporter who never quite actually got to the full story; and more.

NBC Words at War---A brilliant half-hour anthology that aired during World War II and dramatised significant books written during and about the war.

Norman Corwin---Perhaps radio's greatest dramatist as a writer and director. Anything under his name should be heard, particularly from his two series Columbia Presents Corwin and Twenty-Six By Corwin, not to mention his wartime masterpieces "We Hold These Truths" (on the anniversary of the Bill of Rights---just after Pearl Harbour) and "On a Note of Triumph." Not to mention his holiday classic, "The Plot to Overthrow Christmas."

Quiet Please---Radio's greatest psychological thriller (though you have to strain to listen to the two-year-old series, since the surviving transcription discs proved in poor condition too often) and, arguably, the father of The Twilight Zone.

You Bet Your Life---The secret word is Groucho. ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    Triocd likes this.
  19. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Sirius XM is definitely worth the subscription. Lots of great channels. The Spectrum is a combo of older rock and new rock that serves as my gateway to new music so I don't get stuck in a rut. Great stuff.

Tom Petty radio is great, Grateful Dead radio is usually really good, Road Trip radio is fun for a wide variety of stuff, etc.