What’s your favorite radio station or program?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Triocd, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

1. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I've been a SiriusXM subscriber for many years because our local Albany NY radio stations are all horrible. On SiriusXM, the only shows that I'll actively seek out are the weekend top 30 countdowns on the 80s and 90s stations, and sometimes Trunk Nation. Eddie is way too much with his self promotion, but he plays some good music.

Years ago there used to be a show on Bluesville that I really liked, but it's long gone. It would feature a specific song, and would play multiple versions of that same song. I used to love hearing different artist renditions back to back of the same blues standards.

2. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Radio Paradise - Eclectic, commercial-free, and founded and maintained by Bill Goldsmith (and his wife Rebecca), the man who set up the very first streaming radio station at KPIG in Santa Cruz. 4 different streams, depending upon your mood. Excellent radio.

3. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

still listen to local station WCMF. it's classic rock and the joke has always been that they just never had to change their play list as they have been a rock station for the past 50 years. yes they play a lot of the same old tired crap you hear on any classic rock station however they do throw in some material that makes you do a double take as well. they did a block (3 songs) of the Grateful Dead the other day and was shocked that it wasn't Casey Jones, Truckin and Touch of Grey. not a fan so not sure what tunes they did play but i know i hadn't heard them before. how many stations still play (or ever did) The Good Rats? they do. worth checking out especially in the evening. they also have a no repeat ploicy so you don't hear Freebird 3 times every day

4. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

Thanks those are good descriptions. I might start with the ww2 news. That must be fascinating listening to what people were hearing for the first time pretty much live

GulfportBound likes this.
  5. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Live on WUCF (Central Florida), Saturday nights at 8pm: Smokestack Lightnin' - 3-4 hours of new blues. I tune in when I can. They also stream:
    http://www.smokestacklightnin.com/

I like that they cover a pretty wide spectrum of blues - from acoustic country blues to modern blues/rock to 'traditional' Chicago Blues purists to classic-rock-artists-doing-a-blues-album to heavily gospel-influenced blues.

I used to listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage on the local classic rock station, but that was probably 15 years ago now. The station converted to talk and I haven't heard the show since, but i really enjoyed it. I just searched... I should give it a listen, I can't believe how long it's been.
    http://undergroundgarage.com/

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I listen to radio often. Favorite stations now: WFMU, upsala college radio in NJ. The college is gone, but the station remains. Too many excellent (and strange) programs to list. And WKCR, from Columbia University in NY. IMO, the best jazz programs on radio, and quite a bit more. Including excellent classical, new music, electronica, a great variety of good stuff.

slybird, Fatherflot and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  7. Machew

Machew Member

93.3 HD2 is called Punk Taco. It's been a really good station from Denver. Although I can only tune it in, in my 4 runner not my F150.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

KMHD, Portland's local jazz station, and All Classical, our local classical station are my favorites. Both are streaming too: kmhd.org and allclassical.org. I love radio, but all the corporate BS has ruined rock radio (hey, let's only play the same 20 songs over and over and over).

10. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

WFMU began life as the Upsala College radio station. But the school went bankrupt in 1995. The DJs formed a nonprofit corporation and bought the entire station, transmitter, FCC license and all. It's been a completely independent entity since. Though the call signal still mentions East Orange (where Upsala was), the studios have been in Jersey City since 1998. No institutional affiliation, no government support, no commercial underwriting --- just listener support. (OK, they did get a Rockefeller Foundation grant for a specific special project in 2006)

The 2015 documentary film, Sex and Broadcasting: A Film about WFMU, tells the station's story.

slybird and mad dog like this.
  11. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

KXLU 88.9 in Los Angeles. College radio has been my go to for over 30 years. I have XM for when I can’t handle the classical, sound collages, 50s radio jingles or Yoko Ono they happen to be spinning at the time.

12. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I guess I'll be the cheesy one but yes I used to listen to Dee Snider's House of Hair when a local station carried it. Haven't heard it in years though, don't even know if it still exists. Alice Cooper had a show as well I listened to occasionally.

Our radio stations are all just boosters for preprogrammed music originating on either coast. They even advertise caller sweepstakes like it's right there in your hometown when it's really not...

My ex wife's father was a DJ in the 80s and early 90s and I'm not sure he was supposed to keep them but he had stacks of albums that were Casey Casem and Rick Dees weekly top 40 show. The whole program including commercials were recorded on vinyl and sent to the radio stations and every station was supposed to drop the needle at approximately the same time across the country.

13. jaguarillo68

jaguarillo68 Member

95.3 fm Harvard radio : The Record Hospital. garage, rockabilly, punk, noise. They used to do a Mothers Day Marathon, also known for the Double Doughnut. 12am till dawn.

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

WZBC-FM 90.3, BC's station had evening programming called 'No Commercial Potential' (thanks Frank). Not sure if it's still running but it was the best new format for picking up the most creative stuff. *edit - still running:
    https://www.wzbc.org/after-hours-ncp
    The other part of the day they also coined the term "Modern Rock" back in the early 80s, which became a global commercial format a few years down the road (hello 'pioneer' KITS-FM/SF).