What's your favorite "sleeper" amp?

Steve Ouimette

Silver Supporting Member
Peavey VTM-120.

Didn't want to love it. Absolutely hated the way it looked. Heard it 25 years ago when they tried to compete with the modified JCM800 market and wrote it off because it was a Peavey.

It's a winner. Built like a tank, sounds killer, 8 little dipswitches that actually alter the tone in good ways, and cost about $300!

What's your favorite sleeper amp?

tele_jas

Not sure if this qualifies for a "sleeper" amp.... Genz Benz Black Pearl. I love this amp.

mtperry85

I'll hop on the Traynor bandwagon... but mine's a YCV40WR. I almost sold it recently after getting a 65 PRRI, but it sounds so good with the P90 in my National Resolectric Jr. that I couldn't let it go. Channel 1 (the dirty channel) is all I need for just the right amount of grit, and there's even a stock boost pedal for dialing up the gain and volume for soloing. It's really wierd, but the dirty channel is also much quieter than the clean channel.

I'm hoping to get a gig sometime where I need to be loud enough to justify running the Fender & Traynor in stereo.

Bruce Gerard

Lafayette (made by Univox in the mid 60s) 2X Jensen P12s combo with PP 6973 power section - frigging unbelievable dumpster amp.

LPVM

Silvertone 1482

These little amps can really tear it up.

Last edited:

Gemini2

Sundown Artist designed by Dennis Kager formerly of Ampeg. Introduced in the early 80's to compete with the Mesa Boogie MK III. The cleans are 100x better than any Mk amp IMHO. People talk about pedal platforms? This is the one! All tube, Power scaling and handbuilt in New Jersey.

The company was later sold over seas. The originals from the 80's are the ones I'm talking about. See them for sale time to time in the 400-500 range.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
the vintage sleeper is still the Silvertone 1484. Very undervalued for how good they sound, just pretend they don't try to have reverb and use the trem instead ;) Big enough to gig anywhere that'll listen to me and small enough to crank.

The non vintage sleeper is the Sovtek MiG 50 heads. Great sounds but mine was a bit of a reoccurring tech headache, when it worked, it was great though.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
While they do get some love around here, I think the BC Audio stuff falls in the "sleeper" category. Huge tone from such a compact head.

bluesoul

Peavey VTM
Redbear 60
Carvin x100B

Great sleep amps....some of the Bedrocks are pretty cool too. I love the sleepers!

Trending Topics