What's your favorite speaker in a BFDR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbratch, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

Inquiring minds want to know...

2. thid

thid Member

Mid 60's Jensen C12N

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Well if you do a search you'll find quite a few differing opinions on the subject. Favs generally are a Weber F150, Red Fang, Cannibus Rex and the Jensen mentioned.

I was on the search for the right speaker myself recently and really like the Cannibus Rex. BUT I just got a Scumback with a larger cone than their usual G12H30 version and it sounds wonderful!! Gotta see how it works at volume with our band but so far it's pretty killer...

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks. I actually have an old Jensen C12Q (probably pre-1965) I'm thinking of reconing. I have the C12N (modern version), which is OK but somewhat trebly in some ways.

5. KLB

KLB Member

Do you mean larger dust cap?

That is, the Scumback H75-LHDC? Did you get it in the 30 watt or 65 watt version?

Does Jim make this speaker available with 8 mounting holes?

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Well for COUNTRY, the JBL would be nice.

But if you like gainier things like overdrives, boosts, and fuzz - I'd steer clear of the JBL

I have a pretty amazing sounding '64 Deluxe Reverb. The best speaker I've had in it is a Reverend Alltone. I dont like that speaker in everything but everyone who has ever played /borrowed my deluxe ( and owns one themselves ) has gone looking for a Reverend

A perfect mix of American and Brit in a single spk !!

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

How would a Weber 12F150 or the Reverend Alltone compare to the modern Jensen C12N (which is what I have in there now)?

8. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I dont know the weber but the Alltone has more Volume and headroom - more bottom and less "fizzy" highs. Not as much spk breakup as the Jensen would give you. It certainly makes the amp ALOT more pedal friendly - and gig friendly.

With the Jensen and pedals, at some point (and usually EARLY ON ) - it just doesnt get any louder w/ pedals because the spk is compressing so much. With the Reverend - you step on a LOUD pedal and it'll get you over the band - the Jensen would only make you more distorted ( and probably blow up the spk )

9. fast ricky love

D'oh! I did mean larger dust cap... and that is the speaker I got in the 30 watt. The Cannibus Rex is a fantastic speaker, but I wanted a bit more speaker breakup so I thought I'd give the Scumback a go. And they all come with 8 mounting holes so no worries there.

Unfortunately we need to find a new bass player in our band so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to play the DR w/the Scumback out... :rolleyes:

10. hogy

hogy Member

Especially if you like to crank the amp and enjoy the sound of thin sheetmetal being scratched with a file to be mixed in with your distortion. Junk But Loud for sure.

11. fast ricky love

:p

I can hear that! Not my cup of tea either...

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Weber Blue Dog!

13. tcforec

tcforec Member

+1 for the Blue Dog. Just bought a sweet-pie '66 BFDR from a friend and it had the re-issue 50w C12 ceramic in it....ice pick central. Popped a 30w Blue dog in it and it is now my favorite amp. Great speaker.

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Weber ceramic silver bell, 50 watt.I have a batch of original Jensens;P12Q, P12P, C12Q, C12P, C12N.I tried the Vintage 30 and the G1230H but the Weber has a better bass and the highs are real smooth.And I tried a blue Dog alnico 50, which was nice, but the silver bell takes the cake. :AOK

15. LeftyLang

LeftyLang Member

Eminence Red White & Blues or Tonker for more Clean Headroom

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

Cannabis Rex..

Chow,
    Seegs

17. mbratch

mbratch Member

Ceramic or Alnico?

18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

All of my speakers come with 8 mounting holes in the frame. I couldn't alienate the Fender players!

FRL, glad to hear that speaker is working out in your amp! :JAM

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The Reverend Alltone is basically a Jensen design but with a British cone. I like 'em alot, I have one in my Hellhound combo, a second in my Cage one-off Bandmaster clone combo. They are not the "most" at anything, they're not the loudest/most efficient, not the bassiest, not the chimiest, not the trebliest. They're simply balanced and musical across the board.

20. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I don't agree. He was asking about comparing the Alltone with a NEW Jensen C12N. The new ones are very efficient ( loud ) and are somewhat bright until well broken in. The Alltone is a terrific speaker but not as loud and will push into distortion sooner. I like the Alltone in a BFDR. I would agree with you if you are comparing to a VINTAGE C12N.

Dan