What’s Your Favorite Stratocaster?

Dickey

My favorite Strat (& really the ONLY ones I like) is any Fender made before 1982; preferably in Olympic white, Mary Kaye blonde, or 3-color burst. Prefer rosewood, but maple is OK, too. Vibrato or HT. I would also consider a non-relic Custom Shop, but dunno if they exist.
I love my '72 blonde; all original including case, except for bridge pickup.

ucnick

Supporting Member
Never been a big Strat fan, always leant more towards Teles and Les Pauls and SGs and the like. However, I picked up a beat to s**t 1994 Eric Clapton Strat from a guy on Reverb a few months ago for a few hundred bucks, it was a bit of a mutt, he put a neck from a 2004 EC Strat on it, the neck was totally messed up, needed new frets and a nut, it was cheaper to put a new neck on it so I bought a low cost roasted maple neck with SS frets from Warmoth, put it on, and it plays freaking great, I love the guitar, even more than my Anderson Drop-Top. The active boost and tone control really come in handy, I can get Strat tones with it and even get into a pretty good emulation of low-gain LP territory with it, although it doesn't have quite the mids and lows, but it is now one of my faves...

fr8_trane

Supporting Member
That sounds like a sweet build! Warmoth is my #1 choice every time though I highly recommend buying them used because the resale value sucks and you can often get a VERY pricey build on the cheap (though I get that defeats the main purpose of a company like Warmoth aka "customizing" your own...I've found several with specs I really love that I would have been glad to have dreamt up myself).

The denim flame strat and flame koa strat I posted earlier in the thread I believe were roughly $1300 and $2300 respectively to build new, and I grabbed them for $350 and $600. I'd kinda rather someone else spends the big bucks and then I grab it secondhand for a fraction!
Yeah you can get a pricey warmoth for cheap used but if you know exactly what you want its better to "buy once- buy right". My spec is pretty vanilla but the devil is in the details: Roasted woods, Neck contour, fret size and material and most importantly hardware and pickups. I think of my warmoth as a half priced suhr.

If for some reason you want to sell a guitar that is literally spec'd to be YOUR perfect guitar (why would anyone do that?) you'll do better if you avoid all those crazy (and expensive) wood and finish combo's that warmoth builds are notorious for. Just do alder or ash and a maple/RW neck. K.I.S.S. and if you do sell you'll get a higher resale ROI than that $2000+ MEGA strat with a bitchin zebra wood body in puke burst; a wenge/ bubinga neck with purple heart skunk stripe and mixed gold and black hardware. Jus' sayin'...

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
Man, that’s pretty!!! Very interesting looking neck joint... can you tell me more about what’s going on back there?
Sure, it's Ron's proprietary neck joint. The neck cavity/neck are basically interlocking, and installing the neck leaves a tight joint that doesn't need screws to hold it together. There are, however, stainless steel (I believe) inserts in the body and stainless screws that add an additional layer of security to the neck. Just a super stable, tight neck joint.

Yeah you can get a pricey warmoth for cheap used but if you know exactly what you want its better to "buy once- buy right". My spec is pretty vanilla but the devil is in the details: Roasted woods, Neck contour, fret size and material and most importantly hardware and pickups. I think of my warmoth as a half priced suhr.

If for some reason you want to sell a guitar that is literally spec'd to be YOUR perfect guitar (why would anyone do that?) you'll do better if you avoid all those crazy (and expensive) wood and finish combo's that warmoth builds are notorious for. Just do alder or ash and a maple/RW neck. K.I.S.S. and if you do sell you'll get a higher resale ROI than that $2000+ MEGA strat with a bitchin zebra wood body in puke burst; a wenge/ bubinga neck with purple heart skunk stripe and mixed gold and black hardware. Jus' sayin'...
Yep, that's definitely true. I too often wonder why people sell custom builds especially to GC as was the case with the ones I got...I know resale value on customs sucks, but I can't imagine either of the two I got lasting longer than a day on Craigslist at a reasonable price. Even if those $1300ish and $2300ish builds were put up on CL for let's say $600 and $800 I'm pretty sure they'd be gone fast. They're both loaded with expensive pickups, hardware, and the woods are to die for (you can't really tell from the one photo I posted but the flame koa strat is ENTIRELY flame koa - solid flame koa body and neck).

GC pays like 50% of what they put the guitar up for, so the fact that the previous owners must have accepted like $175 and $300ish respectively for these from GC is really baffling...

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
I love this guitar!
Thanks, it is really fantastic in all respects. Ron's trem is also super smooth and holds tuning really well. Just a great guitar! These pictures are from when it was built...about 8 years ago I think. It has a touch more green in the finish now with some age.

Last edited:

bearbike137

I really like the Fender limited MIM 60s they made five years ago. That said, I had to swap out the pups and have it refretted to 6105s to optimize it. But it is truly a great Strat. Here is mine in Canary Diamond:

dreamspace

Supporting Member
As far as I'm concerned, Fender produced the perfect Stratocaster when they released the Vintage Hot Rod '62 strat.

That guitar was just perfection. Flatter radius, bigger frets, excellent pickups, smooth neck. Such a shame that they discontinued 'em. I hope they some day revive that series.

bojomojo

I was looking at the Fender website. Has anyone played the American Elite Stratocaster with compound radius maple fretboard in a HSS configuration? I like the specs. Though I doubt I’ll use the S1 switching. Is this a good Stratocaster?

Also, I like the blue Suhr Pete Thorn Stratocaster. There’s no Suhr dealers where I live. I’d have to order it without playing it first. I’ve heard good things about this guitar.

Trending Topics