What’s your favorite Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bojomojo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

I might give a different answer tomorrow but I was really happy with the USA Lonestar in my avatar. Big fan of HSS guitars.

bojomojo and big mike like this.
  2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Yep Fantastic.
    Wish you could get them in ash instead of alder.

bojomojo likes this.
  3. Dickey

Dickey Member

My favorite Strat (& really the ONLY ones I like) is any Fender made before 1982; preferably in Olympic white, Mary Kaye blonde, or 3-color burst. Prefer rosewood, but maple is OK, too. Vibrato or HT. I would also consider a non-relic Custom Shop, but dunno if they exist.
    I love my '72 blonde; all original including case, except for bridge pickup.

bojomojo likes this.
  4. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Never been a big Strat fan, always leant more towards Teles and Les Pauls and SGs and the like. However, I picked up a beat to s**t 1994 Eric Clapton Strat from a guy on Reverb a few months ago for a few hundred bucks, it was a bit of a mutt, he put a neck from a 2004 EC Strat on it, the neck was totally messed up, needed new frets and a nut, it was cheaper to put a new neck on it so I bought a low cost roasted maple neck with SS frets from Warmoth, put it on, and it plays freaking great, I love the guitar, even more than my Anderson Drop-Top. The active boost and tone control really come in handy, I can get Strat tones with it and even get into a pretty good emulation of low-gain LP territory with it, although it doesn't have quite the mids and lows, but it is now one of my faves...

5. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

My favorite is an '88 Am std that my dad owned, then I owned and then passed on to my nephew.

My most used was a G&L Legacy. If you want to say that isn't a strat it's fine, I'll just insist none made after 1965 are either. :p

bojomojo and jcolmn like this.
  6. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Favorite Strat?

The one I own.

fr8_trane likes this.
  7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Yeah you can get a pricey warmoth for cheap used but if you know exactly what you want its better to "buy once- buy right". My spec is pretty vanilla but the devil is in the details: Roasted woods, Neck contour, fret size and material and most importantly hardware and pickups. I think of my warmoth as a half priced suhr.

If for some reason you want to sell a guitar that is literally spec'd to be YOUR perfect guitar (why would anyone do that?) you'll do better if you avoid all those crazy (and expensive) wood and finish combo's that warmoth builds are notorious for. Just do alder or ash and a maple/RW neck. K.I.S.S. and if you do sell you'll get a higher resale ROI than that $2000+ MEGA strat with a bitchin zebra wood body in puke burst; a wenge/ bubinga neck with purple heart skunk stripe and mixed gold and black hardware. Jus' sayin'...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. pmjgear

pmjgear Supporting Member

Hey, thanks!

bojomojo likes this.
  9. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

Of course for me as well "the one I own": '86 MIJ STS-62. I'd fancy an original 60's Strat, but apart from that I have no other Strat on my radar, not even a Custom Shop one!

[​IMG]

bojomojo and motorcitychick like this.
  10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Sure, it's Ron's proprietary neck joint. The neck cavity/neck are basically interlocking, and installing the neck leaves a tight joint that doesn't need screws to hold it together. There are, however, stainless steel (I believe) inserts in the body and stainless screws that add an additional layer of security to the neck. Just a super stable, tight neck joint.

bojomojo and Kurt L like this.
  11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yep, that's definitely true. I too often wonder why people sell custom builds especially to GC as was the case with the ones I got...I know resale value on customs sucks, but I can't imagine either of the two I got lasting longer than a day on Craigslist at a reasonable price. Even if those $1300ish and $2300ish builds were put up on CL for let's say $600 and $800 I'm pretty sure they'd be gone fast. They're both loaded with expensive pickups, hardware, and the woods are to die for (you can't really tell from the one photo I posted but the flame koa strat is ENTIRELY flame koa - solid flame koa body and neck).

GC pays like 50% of what they put the guitar up for, so the fact that the previous owners must have accepted like $175 and $300ish respectively for these from GC is really baffling...

bojomojo likes this.
  12. Fullmoon1971

Fullmoon1971 Member

I love my 2 MIM Strats

2009 Deluxe
    [​IMG]

2014 Standard Plustop
    [​IMG]

The 2014 has a set of tone emporium "Big Time 54" pickups in it - a real killer.

Moby Dick and bojomojo like this.
  13. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I love this guitar!

moopband and John Hurtt like this.
  14. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, it is really fantastic in all respects. Ron's trem is also super smooth and holds tuning really well. Just a great guitar! These pictures are from when it was built...about 8 years ago I think. It has a touch more green in the finish now with some age.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    bojomojo likes this.
  15. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

16. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Yngwie J Malmsteen Sig.

bojomojo and Moby Dick like this.
  17. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

I really like the Fender limited MIM 60s they made five years ago. That said, I had to swap out the pups and have it refretted to 6105s to optimize it. But it is truly a great Strat. Here is mine in Canary Diamond:

bojomojo likes this.
  18. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

As far as I'm concerned, Fender produced the perfect Stratocaster when they released the Vintage Hot Rod '62 strat.

That guitar was just perfection. Flatter radius, bigger frets, excellent pickups, smooth neck. Such a shame that they discontinued 'em. I hope they some day revive that series.

bojomojo, Switters and Voxshall like this.
  19. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

If I was going to buy a Fender, I'd pick an American Special. It has everything I need - Big 70s headstock, 22 jumbo frets, 9.5" radius, vintage string spacing. Or an Yngwie Strat.

Chicago Slim and bojomojo like this.
  20. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I was looking at the Fender website. Has anyone played the American Elite Stratocaster with compound radius maple fretboard in a HSS configuration? I like the specs. Though I doubt I’ll use the S1 switching. Is this a good Stratocaster?

Also, I like the blue Suhr Pete Thorn Stratocaster. There’s no Suhr dealers where I live. I’d have to order it without playing it first. I’ve heard good things about this guitar.

CapnRex likes this.