What’s your favorite Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bojomojo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Halo of Convenience

Halo of Convenience Member

I really enjoyed the last generation of the American Standard

bojomojo likes this.
  2. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Please read my post on page 12 and comment.

3. Shnook

Shnook Member

I’m gonna have to say my 1995 Eric Clapton Strat. Prior to this one my favorite Strat was my old 1989 Eric Clapton Strat. The Lace Sensors work well for me and what I do. I especially like their lower noise. Buzz and hum drives me nuts. The EC is so versatile. It does everything I need with my playing.

My second favorite Strat was the Sea Foam ‘69 Strat that was formerly owned by Bobby D. It had a Floyd on it and a killer set of older DiMarzio pickups. I eventually sold it back to Bobby but wish I’d kept it.

bojomojo likes this.
  4. ColeW

ColeW Member

My HSS Tom Anderson Classic S! My Fender Strat is great too but that Anderson.. It's special

bojomojo likes this.
  5. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I had to remove the Fender Gold anodized pickguard. An ash body and a maple neck make for a very strident, percussive tone. The anodized pickguard just made it worse and almost "plinky" sounding.
    Now everything is alright in the world again!!!

bojomojo likes this.
  6. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I had a 1991 HSS Tom Anderson Classic S that had the vintage voicing circuit in it. It “buzzed” as soon as I took my hands off the strings. I wound up selling it at a loss and I disclosed the buzzing issue to the buyer. I’m happy yours is a keeper.

7. middy

middy Member

1957 hard tail in shoreline gold

bojomojo and LR1400 like this.
  8. LR1400

LR1400 Member

1961 rosewood sunburst sitting in my closet

bojomojo likes this.
  9. jdr1014

jdr1014 Member

I'm pretty late to this discussion.....

Currently own 9 Strats and have had quite a few more. I am very partial to my CS 69 Closet Classic Strat and generally prefer vintage style specs. However, my favorite Strat is more modern - a 2004 American Series 50th Anniversary Strat. Its the special run made that year only with 2 tone SB ash body, special custom '54 pickups, maple neck, 9.5 radius, MJ frets, 2 point AmSe tremolo. Vintagy looks and killer sound coupled with modern playability. For me, this one just does everything so well that a good strat should do !!

bojomojo likes this.
  10. Tootone

Tootone Member

It doesn't particularly look rad, gnarly or in any way special...

but... it does sound pretty awesome regardless of the pickups in it (currently Texas Specials).

Candy Apple Red is probably my favourite colour... it has a depth to it, like a ruby.

The original pickups (97 American Standard) are much maligned, but in this guitar have a very 50's vintage* about them - quite a strident top end.

The Texas Specials in it currently are lowered and have an early 60's vintage* sound about them (more rounded top end, with detail in the high mids and tight bass).

*As best I can tell from watching/hearing 50's and 60's pup demos.

bojomojo likes this.
  11. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

I’ve got both of the guitars below, they are top notch guitars.

I agree, best of vintage and modern. I believe the neck profile on the Hot Rod and the John Mayer are either the same or extremely close. Both are excellent vintage/modern Strats, comfortable to play and traditional sounding.

The Elite is a great guitar, unlike the above, it’s a pretty modern Strat. The neck has a C to D carve, compound radius, locking tuners, cutaway heel, 2-point, etc. The pickups are noiseless (but sound pretty good for noiseless) and the switching gives a lot of useful options. Also, Autumn Blaze Metallic looks killer. ;)

bojomojo likes this.
  12. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

My Stratocaster is my favorite! It is a frankestrat with some vintage parts. I have owned a dozen or more vintage strats, 1954 on. This one gets there everytime.

bojomojo and Voxshall like this.
  13. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Hendrix's but only when he played it.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm torn between two; my '91 Swamp Ash Custom Shop Strat with an ebony fretboard and my '05 American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT. The QMT has locking tuners, ebony board, LSR Roller nut, a quilt maple top (QMT) and the S-1 switching system that gives you 10 different pickup combinations.

I prefer ebony to rosewood because of the way it feels when you do bends and most of the guitars I'm playing now have ebony boards. I love the CS Strat but the QMT is incredibly versatile, I could play pretty much any gig I'd get called for on it from Jazz to Metal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bojomojo likes this.
  15. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

This is The Edge!
    [​IMG]

16. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

If we're talking production models that you can get now....Clapton Strat.
    No question, by leaps and freakin' bounds. Perfect neck and if you actually sit down and figure out that not everything needs to be turned to 10--There is no sound it can't get.
    BUT
    All Strats for me begin with being a hardtail.

bojomojo likes this.
  17. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

The American Special Strat is great if you like the jumbo frets. I really like the big frets but some people don't. You might be surprised at how good the Squier Classic Vibes are as well. When I was shopping for a Tele I expected to come home with a USA model but after going and playing a bunch of them the Classic Vibe 50's stood out to me so that's what I bought. The fret work on almost every MIM and USA model I picked up was terrible. The Squier frets were perfect and it sounded great.

18. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

What vintage parts do you use and can you post a picture? I've found the exact same, have two strats with vintage parts that are amazing.

bojomojo likes this.
  19. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I’ll check Reverb and eBay. Thanks.

20. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Thank you for the +1 on the Elite.

CapnRex likes this.