What’s Your Favorite Stratocaster?

Shnook

I’m gonna have to say my 1995 Eric Clapton Strat. Prior to this one my favorite Strat was my old 1989 Eric Clapton Strat. The Lace Sensors work well for me and what I do. I especially like their lower noise. Buzz and hum drives me nuts. The EC is so versatile. It does everything I need with my playing.

My second favorite Strat was the Sea Foam ‘69 Strat that was formerly owned by Bobby D. It had a Floyd on it and a killer set of older DiMarzio pickups. I eventually sold it back to Bobby but wish I’d kept it.

saladin

Silver Supporting Member

Ash body, Allparts FAT neck, Dimarzio Area 58/67/61 set. I'm good.

I had to remove the Fender Gold anodized pickguard. An ash body and a maple neck make for a very strident, percussive tone. The anodized pickguard just made it worse and almost "plinky" sounding.
Now everything is alright in the world again!!!

bojomojo

My HSS Tom Anderson Classic S! My Fender Strat is great too but that Anderson.. It's special
I had a 1991 HSS Tom Anderson Classic S that had the vintage voicing circuit in it. It “buzzed” as soon as I took my hands off the strings. I wound up selling it at a loss and I disclosed the buzzing issue to the buyer. I’m happy yours is a keeper.

jdr1014

I'm pretty late to this discussion.....

Currently own 9 Strats and have had quite a few more. I am very partial to my CS 69 Closet Classic Strat and generally prefer vintage style specs. However, my favorite Strat is more modern - a 2004 American Series 50th Anniversary Strat. Its the special run made that year only with 2 tone SB ash body, special custom '54 pickups, maple neck, 9.5 radius, MJ frets, 2 point AmSe tremolo. Vintagy looks and killer sound coupled with modern playability. For me, this one just does everything so well that a good strat should do !!

Tootone

It doesn't particularly look rad, gnarly or in any way special...

but... it does sound pretty awesome regardless of the pickups in it (currently Texas Specials).

Candy Apple Red is probably my favourite colour... it has a depth to it, like a ruby.

The original pickups (97 American Standard) are much maligned, but in this guitar have a very 50's vintage* about them - quite a strident top end.

The Texas Specials in it currently are lowered and have an early 60's vintage* sound about them (more rounded top end, with detail in the high mids and tight bass).

*As best I can tell from watching/hearing 50's and 60's pup demos.

PFDarkside

I’ve got both of the guitars below, they are top notch guitars.

As far as I'm concerned, Fender produced the perfect Stratocaster when they released the Vintage Hot Rod '62 strat.

That guitar was just perfection. Flatter radius, bigger frets, excellent pickups, smooth neck. Such a shame that they discontinued 'em. I hope they some day revive that series.
I agree, best of vintage and modern. I believe the neck profile on the Hot Rod and the John Mayer are either the same or extremely close. Both are excellent vintage/modern Strats, comfortable to play and traditional sounding.

I was looking at the Fender website. Has anyone played the American Elite Stratocaster with compound radius maple fretboard in a HSS configuration? I like the specs. Though I doubt I’ll use the S1 switching. Is this a good Stratocaster?

Also, I like the blue Suhr Pete Thorn Stratocaster. There’s no Suhr dealers where I live. I’d have to order it without playing it first. I’ve heard good things about this guitar.
The Elite is a great guitar, unlike the above, it’s a pretty modern Strat. The neck has a C to D carve, compound radius, locking tuners, cutaway heel, 2-point, etc. The pickups are noiseless (but sound pretty good for noiseless) and the switching gives a lot of useful options. Also, Autumn Blaze Metallic looks killer. ;)

Lotis

Silver Supporting Member
My Stratocaster is my favorite! It is a frankestrat with some vintage parts. I have owned a dozen or more vintage strats, 1954 on. This one gets there everytime.

sonofspy

Greetings,

I just picked up the 2019 Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide and never realized how many variations of the Fender Stratocaster have been produced. I’m in the market for a Fender Stratocaster. I own a 2013 Fender Stratocaster FSR in shell pink and a rosewood fretboard. I never warmed up to the rosewood fretboard. My other Fender - a 1974 Telecaster Deluxe with a maple fretboard is my main guitar. What is your favorite Stratocaster? Note: it doesn’t have to be a Fender. Currently I have $4K saved for a new guitar. I’d rather not spend that much. However, that represents 2 years of socking away cash towards a new guitar. Please include pictures if possible. Thank you.
Hendrix's but only when he played it.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
I never warmed up to the rosewood fretboard.

What is your favorite Stratocaster? Please include pictures if possible. Thank you.
I'm torn between two; my '91 Swamp Ash Custom Shop Strat with an ebony fretboard and my '05 American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT. The QMT has locking tuners, ebony board, LSR Roller nut, a quilt maple top (QMT) and the S-1 switching system that gives you 10 different pickup combinations.

I prefer ebony to rosewood because of the way it feels when you do bends and most of the guitars I'm playing now have ebony boards. I love the CS Strat but the QMT is incredibly versatile, I could play pretty much any gig I'd get called for on it from Jazz to Metal.

moosewayne

Supporting Member
If we're talking production models that you can get now....Clapton Strat.
No question, by leaps and freakin' bounds. Perfect neck and if you actually sit down and figure out that not everything needs to be turned to 10--There is no sound it can't get.
BUT
All Strats for me begin with being a hardtail.

exactopposite

The American Special Strat is great if you like the jumbo frets. I really like the big frets but some people don't. You might be surprised at how good the Squier Classic Vibes are as well. When I was shopping for a Tele I expected to come home with a USA model but after going and playing a bunch of them the Classic Vibe 50's stood out to me so that's what I bought. The fret work on almost every MIM and USA model I picked up was terrible. The Squier frets were perfect and it sounded great.

Voxshall

My Stratocaster is my favorite! It is a frankestrat with some vintage parts. I have owned a dozen or more vintage strats, 1954 on. This one gets there everytime.
What vintage parts do you use and can you post a picture? I've found the exact same, have two strats with vintage parts that are amazing.

bojomojo

I'm pretty late to this discussion.....

Currently own 9 Strats and have had quite a few more. I am very partial to my CS 69 Closet Classic Strat and generally prefer vintage style specs. However, my favorite Strat is more modern - a 2004 American Series 50th Anniversary Strat. Its the special run made that year only with 2 tone SB ash body, special custom '54 pickups, maple neck, 9.5 radius, MJ frets, 2 point AmSe tremolo. Vintagy looks and killer sound coupled with modern playability. For me, this one just does everything so well that a good strat should do !!
I’ll check Reverb and eBay. Thanks.

bojomojo

I’ve got both of the guitars below, they are top notch guitars.

I agree, best of vintage and modern. I believe the neck profile on the Hot Rod and the John Mayer are either the same or extremely close. Both are excellent vintage/modern Strats, comfortable to play and traditional sounding.

The Elite is a great guitar, unlike the above, it’s a pretty modern Strat. The neck has a C to D carve, compound radius, locking tuners, cutaway heel, 2-point, etc. The pickups are noiseless (but sound pretty good for noiseless) and the switching gives a lot of useful options. Also, Autumn Blaze Metallic looks killer. ;)
Thank you for the +1 on the Elite.

NashSG

My strat is a Gilmour inspired partscaster that I got off ebay. Didnt like the neck, so I sold it and got a big ballbat neck made for it and put in a RS electronics kit, as there was a couple of Duncans and Fender pickups already in the guitar (pretty much Gilmour inspired). It's a really thick sounding Strat guitar.

Last edited:

Trending Topics