What’s Your Favorite Stratocaster?

gmann

I got a Mary Kaye Navigator Strat last year that I'm quite fond of. Big V neck and just a perfect player. Great setup, minimal buzz with low action, just one of the best Strats I've ever played. I have an actual '60 that I got in the early '70's for $250. The Navigator is the better player. The '60 sounds a little better tho.

bettset

a guy i knew years ago had a 1965 strat he got when he was 11. driest sounding strat i've ever played. he sold it in 1992 for $3500 to get an L-5 he always wanted. another guy i know has a 1963 strat. good full sound. when arlen roth was in town when i was a kid he wanted to buy it from him real bad. dude wouldn't sell or trade :munch

Ron

Supporting Member
I have lots of fave Strats, really it's more about the pickups for me than fretboard wood or neck shape. While I have a few Strats with original pickups, the rest have been changed to protect the innocent.

ferrinbonn

I still haven't played one I like more than my own 96 Am. Std. I don't buy that you have to have vintage spec everything for good Strat tones.

I like rosewood boards. I hate the big ugly 70s headstock. I like HSS for versatility (although SSS has its place too). I like block saddles (the horror!).

ntotoro

Fender: My ‘04 Yuriy Masterbullt 50th. Just an amazing guitar.

Otherwise, my Suhr Standard Carve Tops are everything I want and need.

bojomojo

At one time I owned 14+ Fender Strats.

Of the 14 Fenders my '75 Fender Strat had the best overall tone of the bunch.

If I count my boutique Strat style guitars, my '99 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic SSH and my '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH are the best of all my Strat style guitars.

For modern tones the Tom A offers the best tonal variety, and the Suhr Classic Pro offers the best tonal variety for classic strat tones.

I think you really have to go to an big guitar shop that has a lot of Fenders from the standards to CS, and also a lot of high end boutique strat style guitars.

Audition as many as you can, and eventually you'll find the one that speaks to you.

DON'T buy online.

If you plan to even spend 2k+ on a guitar, you owe it to yourself to audition the guitar in person.
Unfortunately there are no boutique dealers where I live. There’s Sam Ash and Guitar Center. I’d have to do a dealer search for Suhr and take a road trip.

Rockledge

I was playing strats back in the 60s, and liked the necks on them.
My favorite strats are the Indonesian Squiers, they have necks a lot like the ones made in the 60s, only I like them a little better. The necks on them seem to be far more stable than any other strats I have had.
My favorite strat from my guitar collection is one I built from an Indonesian neck, a Korean body, and wired with rail pickups. I refinished the body and neck in suburst with various designs on the neck and headstock wired so that all pickups can be on at once and the neck and bridge can be on together, with the tone controls on the bridge and middle pickups.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
Of the many I've tried - my favorites up to now are:

1. My K-Line Springfield - the only strat I currently own

2. I once owned an EJ Strat - also great, sold to buy something else - have considered getting another

3. I've always wanted an AVRI 62 RI - I should have bought it when I had the chance

4. Fender American Deluxe, Fiesta Red, Soft V neck - 2015 vintage

twotone

My Burgundy Mist Strat. It's a copy of a 1962 Strat, made in Mexico in 1999. It feels and plays just as good as the US made vintage reissues. I don't like it for lead, but it is an excellent rhythm guitar. :)

mrpinter

Supporting Member
This is my Warmoth 7/8 S-type. Ash body, rosewood fretboard on maple, 24.75" scale. The body and neck were selected out of the Warmoth Showcase, already finished and ready for assembly. I probably have $1,200 or so in it... plus a bit more for the Righteous Sound "Redwood" pickup set that just replaced the Bartolinis it started out with. It plays and sounds great; much better than the "real" Fender Strat I had many years ago.

Trending Topics