What’s Your Favorite Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bojomojo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pmjgear

pmjgear Supporting Member

Like others here, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. All I wanted was an American fender with a maple fretboard, a 70s headstock, and a cool body color. I just couldn't find that. So, I put one together from Fender MIA parts:

[​IMG]

More here:

Specs:
    • Fender American Special Neck (9.25” radius; 22 fret, one-piece; medium jumbo frets; 70s headstock; satin finish)
    • Fender locking, staggered tuners;
    • Fender MIA Clapton Body in Pewter;
    • Fender Custom Shop '69 Custom pickups;
    • Decoboom Tort “Streamline” Pickguard with matching trem cover and neck plate (Kluson aluminum shield underneath)
    • Parchment covers and knobs
    It's everything I'd hoped it would be, and it was a lot of fun putting together. All in, I think I spent about $1,200.

2. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Five pages and no one has mentioned the American Vintage 1962 Hot Rod Stratocaster? Yikes!!

Alpione, djw and bashlin like this.
  3. FStrat_man68

FStrat_man68 Member

Black heavy relic 1968 Fender Stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard.

4. motokev

motokev Member

Fender is the KING when it comes to variation of the same guitar. I used to be a big Fender Strat fan. I've owned the 90's Strat Plus, SRV, Clapton, Eric Johnson, 62 reissue, Texas Special, early 2000's Deluxe. The 62' was my favorite. But, the Fender Strat desire is now gone. I now prefer a Tom Anderson Drop Top Strat. I like the options, the neck, stainless frets and quality.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    ellis dee and Emigre like this.
  5. Mincer

Mincer Member

Mine is a stock 1982 'The Strat' in sapphire blue.

[​IMG]

e???, LDH®, worxforme and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

None of them for me. I have to make my own.

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

My Suhr Classic S HSS.

8. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

There's a LOT of guitars in this thread that are not Stratocasters.

57 Re-issue WW10
    [​IMG]

9. sa1126

sa1126 Member

My Squier Classic vibe 50's strat. That guitar is amazing.

e??? and 61cygni like this.
  10. micycle

micycle Member

I'm sure Metallica nerds will be able to chime in on this - I have no idea if it was a Strat and doubt it was but never looked into it, but Kirk's guitar on the '88 cover of GFPM made me want a black Strat with a white pickguard and a Floyd (I was a teenager just getting into electric guitar at the time). I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but loved the look of that guitar.

If that's not a Strat, then Yngwie's guitar with the PLAY LOUD sticker on the cover of the Rising Force album gets my vote!

[​IMG]

highwaystar30 likes this.
  11. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

^^^^
    Jeez, look at how young they are. 31 years ago? Really?

12. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

It’s my Fender CS postmodern strat.
    No wait, it’s my Fender 62 reissue thin skin with lollar blondes.
    Scratch that, it’s my Fender EJ with raw vintage 60’s pickups.
    I love all 3, I can’t be faithful.

13. speedobreedo

speedobreedo Supporting Member

'63 Michael Landau Custom Shop Strat. Best I've ever played

14. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

My Iconic Modern S with Arcanes

15. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

16. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    I like this black American vintage Fender Stratocaster with white pickguard and maple neck from like '88 or '89 that got set up at Performance years ago and held it together very well over the years and got itself played ... it's gonna get some new strings and a set-up in a week or two, it's lying underneath the sofa as I type ... at least it's not underneath some chrome dinette ... indestructible thing ....

e??? likes this.
  17. bashlin

bashlin Member

Yep, was just about to post this.. Hands down the beat strats ever made

18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

One of the best playing Strats I ever owned was the one I bought new in 1970. I'm a complete idiot for trading that off in the 80s! Interestingly, out of the several I've owned since, the one that sounded and felt the most like a vintage model was my 1987 MIJ 57 RI. The pickups were never great, but the bones are outstanding and it's currently the only Strat I own, and I've been a Strat player since 1970 (I grew up playing a Jazzmaster - wish I had that one back as well).

I'm kind of in the market for another one myself, and once again, I'm looking to the Japanese market. Not sure if that's where I'll end up, but I'm specifically looking for Surf or Seafoam Green and they seem to have some of the best looking examples for my taste. Actually, the MIM Classic and Vintera series look pretty good as well, but the jury will be out on those until I get one in my hands. So far though, at least in photos, the best looking ones outside of the Fender Custom Shop have been those models built for the Japanese domestic market. I'm in no hurry. It's not like I need more than one Strat. But I've never owned one in one of those colors and I love the look, so we'll see.

My best advice would be just try a bunch and buy the one that speaks to you. There's a ton of variance even within the same exact model, but I'd always pick the one that sounds best and looks and feels the way I want it to. That's because I fully expect to take any factory guitar to my luthier for expert fretwork. And usually the one that plays best off the rack is just the one that by sheer chance got a better fret level and dress from the factory. Pretty much any correctly built guitar will play great with a little help, so keep that in mind.

drennen likes this.
  19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have an original 1965 strat, best one I've ever played/owned. I just bought a new Fender NAMM Custom Shop strat today from Tone Shop Guitars in Dallas that I hope is a keeper. First pic is the '65 and second is the new one.

20. Road King

Road King Member

My AVRI 62 reissue, Sherwood Green, rosewood board. Did a little rewiring to the tone knobs and I'm considering increasing the radius a little at the next refret. But MAN does that guitar sound good!!

61cygni likes this.