What's your favorite two tracks and least favorite track off the new Van Halen CD?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    This CD has morphed into something completely crazy that I never saw coming..... :eeks .... it's a totaly different disc than I bought back on the 7th, that's for sure. :huh

There are so many great tracks on the CD that only one favorite would be hard to do.

My two favorite this week are:

Outta Space
    HoneyBabySweetieDoll

My least fav is:

Get Frosty.

Thank you, let's hear it ! :hiP

2. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

How can you not like stay frosty? That's wrong

3. jempc

jempc Member

Tattoo is a good song for radio... but not my favorite...

The trouble with Never... is my Fav. or you and your blues.

4. Igneous

Igneous Member

Im with you. The energy on outaspace is just insane. Its hard to pick least fave. I guess it would be get frosty, but it grows on me so its difficult.

5. Igneous

Igneous Member

Yeah, I guess tattoo would be the worst only because of the "slow energy" if that makes sense. Still like it and end up singing it....

6. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

It's great that it is hard to pick a top 5 let alone 2, who woulda thought that at the start of the year when all anyone had heard was Tattoo. Seriously rockin' album :aok

7. Ben R

Ben R Member

First, I can't narrow it to 2 favorites. I'm picking 3 (sue me). Anyway, my answer changes by the day. I love the whole album, pretty much. My "favorites" change as the wind blows in another direction. And, when I answer for "least favorite", it doesn't mean I hate it. It just means that (at the moment) it's the one that I'd rank last if I had to put them in order of preference. Having said that...

"Favorites" (at this moment, ask me again tomorrow):

* "Blood and Fire" - It really speaks to me. Especially from half-way through to the end. Killer solo section, too, with those powerful chord hits before it gets clean again. I get goose bumps every time I hear it.

* "Stay Frosty" - I don't care that it's reminiscent of Ice Cream Man and that there seem to be too many lyrics crammed into each line of verse. And, the lyrics are great. I get a real kick out of them. Most importantly, this song kicks me square in the balls. I love the groove and note choices in the acoustic guitar. And, when the whole band kicks in and is groovin', HOLY SH*T!!! Fabulous. This is what Van Halen is all about.

* "She's the Woman" - What a groove. I love the new lyrics. I love how powerful it is in the new version. Just a great sounding hard rock song. Awesome.

"Least Favorite" (Again, relatively speaking.)

* "Tatoo" - It's a decent song and I DO actually like it. It's just the one I enjoy the least on the album at this point in time.

8. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Hard to pick only 2 favs. But I like....

Outta Space
    Big River

Not so much....

Tatoo ( I tend to skip it, I really should give that one more of chance) :munch

9. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I like she's the woman the most, but it has my least favorite lyrics. I think I'm learning that the songs hit a lot harder when you have the lyrics memorized. Can't really go by timing or pitch.

10. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

Favs are Honeybabysweetiedoll & Stay Frosty but I really like the whole disc - if absolutely compelled to pick a least fav I guess it'd be You and Your Blues

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

It's ok, but I just like every other track better :dunno

Trouble with Never is a fun song .... Dave is just great :D ... that's my third pick since you guys are breaking the rules all ready :waiting

12. Brooks

Brooks Member

i only downloaded AS IS, & HONEYSWEETIESNATCH.
    the rest were just ok to me...

13. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

It's too much like "Ice Cream Man" for me, which was a cover song. Stay Frosty is like a cover of their earlier cover. I still listen to it, but it is probably my least favorite,

My favorites vary. I like parts of all of them, and love the CD as a whole. Lots of great VH style rock fun. I have been trying to imagine what the Hagar era tunes with DLR instead. I like the Hagar era tunes, but ADKOT makes me think how much more I would like them if DLR had contributed what he did to this latest album.

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

Favorite tracks:

Outta Space
    As-Is
    Honeybabysweetiedoll

Least favorite track:

None. I like 'em all. Even Tattoo has grown on me.

15. Grun

Grun Member

At least the second time I've seen this and I don't get it. Ice Cream Man was based on a traditional blues. Stay Frosty is something else all together. The only similarity I see and it's a tenuous one is that they both start out acoustic and advance to heavier production.

I really like 'em all. Outta Space probably most favorite (right now anyway) and You and Your Blues least favorite. Still like it though.

Tattoo has really grown on me. Could almost see it as a single.

16. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I like it, and I can hear the differences, but I've heard several people make the "Ice Cream Man" comparison.

17. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Favs,

Blood and Fire, Big River, Beats Workin'

And I dig all the rest too- I skip Bullethead occasionally.

Love this ****ing record!!!

18. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Absolutely! I LOVE this tune!

My other favorite is You and Your Blues. Love the use of all the song titles in it.

Least favorite. Don't think I have one actually. I enjoy listening to all the tunes.

19. Lance

Lance Member

The outro soloing on Big River is so Ed-ily phrased...the cocked wah stuff is great too just before the end. Ed is not f*ckin around!!! I gotta admit it does sound a lot like George Lynch, though!

20. V-Type

V-Type Member

Fav - Outta Space,China Town

Least - Tattoo

However every song is highly repeatable and some the best VH I could ever have imagined at this stage of the game.