What’s your gig level volume?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Saxon68, Sep 1, 2019.

1. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Most industrial noise standards are 85 dB for 8 hrs.... its both time and intensity and SPL is a logarithmic measure so that means 88 dB for 4 hours, 91 dB for 2 hours etc...

What this shows is that if your playing and practicing at 90+ dB your likely doing some degree of damage to your hearing...

Now if your a concert goer and maybe you got a 95 dB show every so often it’s probably not going to cause you that much harm, but, think about the people who are gigging 5 times a week for 3 hour gigs, plus practice time etc, leads up to some real wear and tear.

Likewise, staff at bars who maybe are hearing loud music every single night.... again adds up.

We’ve seen no shortage of rockers and engineers who are now basically unable to work because of the degree of hearing loss they’ve suffered

Be mindful of your exposure and how it adds up.... practice quieter, limit gig volume best you can, use hearing protection when you can’t, be mindful of how loud your earbuds are if your listing to music a few hours a day to and from work or school etc, then coming home and practicing 4 hours.....

Can’t restore lost hearing, only can prevent the loss

tonyhay and Ingolf like this.
  2. LaXu

LaXu Member

Distance matters with decibel measurements. So don’t just say x dB, mention at what distance it was measured as well.

Lele likes this.
  3. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Whatever the soundman tells me.

timowens316 likes this.
  4. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

A dB meter is pretty close to essential.

A Deluxe Reverb at 4-5 will run 104-105 dBs for reference sake.

5. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Whatever is appropriate for the room, stage, FoH, audience, repertoire, and band members.

Greatdane likes this.
  6. Saxon68

Saxon68 Supporting Member

Again, when you play *by yourself* at gig volume levels, when you’re dialing in your sound that you’re planning to use when you do play with others.

Not the gig itself.

Ingolf likes this.
  7. JerEvil

JerEvil Member

Hey there. Yeah I set my 100 watt KSR Gemini at my “go to” gig volume. This is when I’m playing decent sized rooms. Like 250+ capacity. It came in about 105db on the app I used to measure. That’s what I then brought the PowerCab+ and Helix up to and it sounded righteous. For band practice with a live drummer that was plenty loud.

thomasjg likes this.
  8. Antipodes

Antipodes Member

Yeah, I believe that is the standard measuring location for speaker volumes in hi-fi, sound reinforcement etc.

9. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Not mine. A guitar-only into the amp doesn’t generate those levels. Guess it might with the right pedals though. To the OP, get a meter, it’s worth it.

10. TonePilot

The concert laws are 90dB. I don’t have more details than that though. We aim for that level at front of the audience but we’ve only played outdoors so far.

11. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

I’ve been told that we push around 93 decibels at church. But every time I see a sound person with that meter out I tell them to quit listening with a machine and use their ears to tell them if the volume is right.

12. danieloux

danieloux Member

I always prefered to play gigs at lower volume so I can actually hear my other bandmates

13. toddwh50

toddwh50 Member

What????? Did you say something?

14. Thark

Thark Member

LOL! Yes, I guess it is but I have been playing for 50+ years now and can still hear pretty well. It's the drums that get my ears ringing these days.

TonePilot likes this.
  15. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I find it challenging to stay under 103db.
    But for years, I played with a loud drummer.

Guitardave likes this.
  16. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if our rehearsals sometimes go above 100dB. As far as our typical shows... It depends, I suppose.

A little tangential to the thread, but I was at a show at one of the larger club venues last weekend, and it was maybe as loud as I've heard in that venue. I was pretty close, but still... The subs were so loud they were almost painful. I thankfully brought some decent earplugs, but I'd bet that less than 10% of the people their had any ear protection. I don't know how people could even stand it for the whole show.

17. sertshark

sertshark Member

85-90dB.

In fact, I just measured today because I was setting up the Helix to be the same volume as my old stomp pedals.

Saxon68 likes this.
  18. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

My main church gigs all have in ears, so that is fairly quiet. But I have been subbing with a local wedding\festival band I help found years ago, and have to stand behind a full horn section, also beside a loud drummer and bass player. In that gig I usually have a 1X12 cab or wedge with only guitar pointed right at my head, and that has to get fairly loud. In the past, when I used a 50W Marshall, I was easily pushing 30W or so through a 1X12 pointed right at me.

The sub gig this weekend will be the first outing with the Kemper and its built in 170W ICEPower amp, into a old Peavey 1X12 wedge cab loaded with a shiny new Celestion F12-X200. Gonna be interesting...

19. TonePilot

Sound is quite directional at times, even sub 100hz frequencies. Could have just been bad in the vicinity of where you were listening. Maybe.

20. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

I've never taken a DB meter to my amp, but I can definitely say that I play quieter than I used to, mainly due to having IEMs now. I'll never do the silent stage, but just getting some stage volume to get the air moving, I don't need as much as i used to need when I was depending on my amp to hear myself. I used to have to turn up so I could hear myself at least even with the drums, which can be quiet loud in small rooms. I always hated the sound of my guitar coming through a wedge up front, so I always tried to avoid that if at all possible. These days my stage volume isn't THAT much louder than my at-home garage volume. It's loud enough that the cab is thumping a bit, but not loud enough that I'd hear myself clearly over the drums without wearing my ears.

The advantage is that I haven't been told to turn down in a while from a sound man. And I feel like not having to have a bunch of wedges on the stage blasting sound around makes a huge difference in overall clarity.