What's your most complicated pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Apr 1, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

What do you find to be your most complex pedal in the way that it's very hard to get the sounds you want out of them. Which ones require the most tweaking?

My vote goes to the below group:

[​IMG]

BUT, this one is the Mac Daddy of complex pedals... I just got it today, and after messing around with it for 2 hours I know how to do very little with it... It didn't even come with a manual, and is brand new. It's a custom made Filter Eko II that Juan from Maneco made for me. I'm very happy with the sounds I've gotten so far, and the filter on it is killer. I'm waiting for a manual so I can really start and play around with it...

[​IMG]

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    This is one of a few that require more than plug and play.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Pigtronix Echolution. It takes a bit of playing to get everything just so so.

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

My Lovetone Flanger is probably the most complex pedal I have, now the Meatball was a lot more difficult to dial in, which is why I sold it. I'm awaiting delivery of a new Eventide Modfactor which I have a feeling is going to top the LT Flanger for complexity.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Zvex SHO, jehehheehehhehhe

Sorry, i had to do it, heheheeehehhehehe

6. xroads

xroads Member

My Fuzz. It has 3 knobs, but every time I fire it up, it somehow sounds differently.
    It has to be the temperature of the transistor, or the supply power, or something. Really complicated, and beyond my understanding...

7. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

Either the MI Tube Zone, or the T-Rex Replica

mean beasts, but a lot of 'in-between' settings which are tempting.. but not always as useful..

8. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

My stereo memory man with hazarai. Not that complicated, just ddifferent than most delays I have.

9. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Fuzz Factory.

Although, the DMM is not 'complicated' it does involve a lot of tweaking.

10. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I know you didnt ask but my method for the DMM is to set the delay time for max. Now you can hear the mix, repeats wobble etc clearly. So set the number of repeats to 3, mixed slightly lower than the original. Now set the vibrato (switch) and level so it wobbles a little. Now adjust the delay time with your foot. At shorter times you get a faux slapback with longer times going through ambience to actual delays.

That's my setting for all sound.

The Fuzz Factory is a little harder and you also didnt ask but here is my live setting...

Set the volume to 9 gate to * comp to 12 drive to 3 and stab to 9 (all o clock). Now you might have realised that * isnt a setting...

* at 9 o clock it squeals an E with a Strat and a Vox AC15 reissue. You might have to tweak the pedal a bit for other guitars and amps if you want an E. If you dont then no worries.

* at 12 to 1 o clock the squeal starts to go and you get hard distortion. Again it varies with the gear used.

* at 3 o clock you get spluttery dying battery sounds.

So three sounds from one basic setting and tweaking one knob.

11. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

12. HBob

HBob Member

I'm with you on the Lovetone Meatball. I've got it down now but it took a while to know what I was doing twiddling all those knobs.

13. enocaster

enocaster Member

Dust your pedals, Marko!

14. drolling

drolling Member

Great topic Marko!

And I'd agree about the complexity of those Moogerfoogers - Any pedal that's got 4 expression pedal inputs has got to be right up there! I'm almost ashamed to say I use my MF-102 mainly for the whacked out tremolo you get when you roll off the pitch modulation... Or the 'carrier output' as a kinda poor man's Theramin. If you try this little trick, turn your amp way, way down first - It's a speaker-shredding, tube-meltingly HOT signal!

Have you tried feeding a drum machine into the 'Carrier Input' jack?? Insanely cool.

I've gotta mention my E13 trUly Beautiful Disaster as well. It's mostly just a bunch of knobs, switches & wires, with a teeny, tiny circuit (or something) wrapped up in a little piece of black electrician's tape, but I never know what's going to come out of it! Especially if you stick a delay or another fuzz in the effects loop.

But how in the heck did you get that Maneco?? I've been waiting & waiting for non-digital Tom to get some, but I understand there's already a looonnnnggg waiting list. When did you order yours?

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

some of you guys really amuse me.

You cannot dial in a Mesa amp, yet....you know what i mean

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Moog Murf, phaser, control module & the Fuzz factory is easy to use, but semi difficult to change from 1 sound to another quickly ie: going from a fuzz face sound to a thin radio interference sound..

17. Richards

Richards Member

Ems Synthi HI Fli-this 'thing' has a mind of its own, if you leave the setting to a great sound you have created and turn it off, don;t expect for it to sound the same when you turn it on (50-50 chance at that) , then you half to re-tweak it, and tweak.. and tweak.

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

When I have the Moogs all hooked up I tend to think of them as one pedal, so, yeah...

[​IMG]

19. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

[​IMG]

Seriously, my most complicated pedal is a Lexicon Vortex... an amazing device, but I don't use it that often, just because it's a pain to program AND it's rackmount.

I do love the Orange Sunshine, but it's very fussy about how you hit it. It doesn't really go on my board... a ZVex Mammoth does my serious fuzz duties.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey man,

Sounds very fun, I'll try some of the things you mentioned out...
    As for the Maneco... I just got it yesterday, but I'm not even certain how to get a "basic" loop going, lol. I've gotten some great filter and reverse sounds, but I'd like to know how to actually use it as a looper. I got it direct from Juan, hence the addition of some "custom" features that wouldn't be available otherwise. I waited about 6-8 months, I think. It's not a cheap date, either.... but didn't even come w/ a manual :messedup