What's your most controversial Led Zeppelin opinion?

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I'm not in love with a lot of their material. That's my controversial opinion with a lot of bands... I didn't like the Beatles or Stones... I do like Zep but I don't love Zep.

egrassel

Supporting Member
I think Carouselambra is one of Led Zeppelin's best songs. The lyrics speak of the unwillingness to act in the face of adversity; whether it be in a personal intimate relationship or the context of a band about to break up. It's easier to preserve the status quo than act with the possibility of failure.

I love how the lyrics are masked through Tokien-esque fantasy imagery. It always makes me think of King Theoden and King Denethor whien I read Lord of the Rings. They're very similar characters who ignored an existential threat but ultimately chose very different paths. Overall I think the song is incredibly personal while pretending to be vague.

But.....the mix on Carouselambra is absolutely terrible and you can barely hear Robert Plant let alone understand him. It does the song a massive disservice.

What your controversial Led Zeppelin opinion?
theres 26 pages of comments, and I am SURE someone has said it. but Denethor aint no king - :)

Gaheba

Controversial opinion - Plant was the inspiration for Derek Small's foil wrapped cucumber. Two of the funniest scenes from Spinal Tap.

Never been into LZ as a fan. I did buy IV and liked it. But for some reason they just didn't - and still don't - do it for me. I very rarely listen to them.

Deep Purple was it for me. I still listen to them. And there was of course also the mighty Steppenwolf. Still listen to them too.

59burst

Gold Supporting Member
My controversial opinion is they are the greatest rock band ever. I’ve been a huge fan since I first heard them at age 11 in 1977. Page is my favourite guitarist, Plant my favourite singer, Bonham my favourite drummer, and JPJ tied with Jamerson for my favourite bassist. I love all their albums.

bluesjunior

"Plage," probably.
Me and my buddy got a lift from Robert Plant and Jimmy Page while hitching from London to the 2nd I think Glastonbury in 1970/71. Robert was driving a brand new Range Rover. We sat in the seats behind them and the quite large space behind that was completely full about 4 or 5 deep with old blues albums most of whom I had never heard of at that time so you are likely correct. As a Brit I don't get the reverence for Zep in the USA, for sure they are/were a major act over here but definitely not the biggest by a long way.

cookieshoes

Me and my buddy got a lift from Robert Plant and Jimmy Page while hitching from London to the 2nd I think Glastonbury in 1970/71. Robert was driving a brand new Range Rover. We sat in the seats behind them and the quite large space behind that was completely full about 4 or 5 deep with old blues albums most of whom I had never heard of at that time so you are likely correct. As a Brit I don't get the reverence for Zep in the USA, for sure they are/were a major act over here but definitely not the biggest by a long way.
Great story. It wouldn’t surprise me that the “haul” of blues LPs you saw were the same batch that Page and Plant were treated to in Memphis, April, 1970. There is a great story about the local DJ taking them to the Chess Records warehouse before the legendary Memphis show, and let them fill up grocery carts full of rare LPs for free. True story.

Like I mentioned before, none of those English musicians were anywhere near being Blues Historians, even though they may have evolved into that once they all became famous, and are often viewed that way now. The availability of those truly landmark 45s and LPs just wasn’t there in the US or England in 1965. So, all that those kids knew were the same 15-20 records from the same crop of contemporary Chicago musicians and other famous blues players who had the distribution, like Muddy, BB, John Lee Hooker, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Freddy King, Howling Wolf, and all of their own English and US peers quoting from Robert Johnson tracks.

It wasn’t until those British bands became famous and wealthy that they could afford to track down all of those rare blues LPs and find new material to draw from.

Notice that it wasn’t until Zeppelin IV in early 1971 that Page started quoting from someone as obscure as Memphis Minnie for the source of Levee, and that Plant also started quoting much more obscure blues references in those live Whole Lotta Love medleys. It wasn’t an accident. They weren’t “channeling” some shared history. No, the only thing that had happened is that they could now get access to a treasure trove of content that none of their peers had before. No different than people finding out that Bob Dylan plagiarized from all of those obscure books, rather than copying what his peers were doing.

On Zeppelin I and II, Zeppelin were quoting the same obvious stuff that everyone else was. Hey, check out my band’s version of “You Shook Me”! Hey look at us, we reworked a bunch of Howling Wolf songs, from the same record that everyone else has!

Last edited:

sixty2strat

They messed up houses of the Holy by speeding it up, made it to bright and lost the power. Always wanted to slow it down on and make a version that is not so shimmery.

2nd Jimmy should have stolen more stuff as a big FU to net experts. everyone has done it. Never heard sublime catch **** for ripping off lady madonna

Trending Topics