What's your pedal board made out of?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gasp100, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I'm starting to collect some pedals (cheaper than collecting guitars and amps :crazy ) and I'm in the process of "designing" a small, modest pedal board. I have some MDF, some oak veneer plywood and regular playwood in the garage. I think MDF (although heavier by far) would stand up well to abuse. The oak veneer plywood actually takes stain really well and might be a cool look (well, the parts you can actually see).
    Right now all I have is: Bad Monkey - Crunchbox - ISP Decimator
    I'd like to add a nice chorus pedal, delay and possibly switch out the BM or just add a Timmy eventually. So, 5 or 6 pedals tops. I'm not sure if I want them all in a row (longer board) or main ones on the bottom row, effects/less used ones on top row (shorter board). I guess I could make 2 and test them out.
    Do you prefer your pedal boards on any type of angle? Or are you using them just as a one piece solid base? I guess just adding some strips of velcro should do the trick.

2. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

3. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I made mine out of an old suitcase. Pics and info on my website.

4. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I like to use laminated MDF. I get them from a local company. If I want something a little more adventurous than "black", I apply some adhesive vinyl tile. Velcro and dual-lock adhere equally well to both surfaces.

Terry

6. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    Here's my project - still not finished with the finish:
    [​IMG]

It's reasonably small, since I'm a singer I want it to fit next to the legs of a mic-stand.
    [​IMG]

The material is a small chest of drawers in birchplywood from Ikea. Their furniture is so cheap it's better to modify their stuff than buying birch plywood on its own.
    The top is on hinges and can be removed. My plan is to paint it black inside, and maybe do the outside in laquered tweed. The power supply Cioks Big John is placed in the upper left corner beneath the Timmy. I will have to drill holes in the sides for the input and maybe output cables.

/C

7. PJH

PJH Member

8. 205

205 Senior Member

^^^^
    How do you guys use those pedals, they are so high off the ground....I would stumble over especially after a couple beers :D

I use no higher then half inch plywood cut to size, painted black, some velcro to attach the pedals. When touring it goes in a roadcase with other equipment. When playing locally it goes in one of those generic chinese cases you buy at hardware stores.

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I used a white laminate covered shelf from The Home Depot. $3.99

11. gravy

gravy Member

the laminate shelf board from home depot! (echo-echo)

12. dave s

dave s Member

Some sort of 'space-age polymer.' :D

dave

13. ARch

ARch Member

The good thing is for the small number of pedals you plan to have, you can do the old-suitcase trick or something similar. I just built a small board for rehearsals out of MDF, heavy felt from a craft store (3M 90 spray glue) and two handles. Probably under $15 in materials, including hardware and the glue.

When it's that cheap, you can experiment with what you like quite a bit. I found out I like it to be angled, single tier, less-used pedals on a second row. I was also able to integrate 1/4" audio jacks and a power jack into the frame.

I'm currently on my third revision of the big board after experimenting with how to route cables through the top for less clutter:
    (1) drill holes to pass them through -- too much work when configs changed. board was swiss cheese.
    (2) cut long slots to accomodate movement, etc. carpet no longer stuck well b/c of lack of surface area. Stability concern.
    (3) 3 separate boards (on frame) at 4" each to fit lytpedalboards velcro carpet. Leaves me with the same slots as #2, but no carpet issues, and more stability, and awesome carpet that will not let go of the wood, or my pedals.

My board is ~33" x 17", out of 1/4-1/2" birch from home depot. Lytpedalboards.com velcro carpeting. 1/4" Neutrik jacks mounted on either side of the board. IEC power jack on the back side. The only thing I'm missing is a good case for it -- can't decide if it will be purchased or built, and gigbag for easy carry or hard case for protection...

14. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I use a case or gig bag because I'm not touring nor will be as far as I can tell. Anyway, I picked one out and built my pedal board to fit in it. Simpler than the other way around.

15. PJH

PJH Member

A lot cheaper too.

16. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

i use mdf with utility carpet adhered to the top and use velcro hooks on the back of pedals...it stays solid on the pedalbord.

17. Tinman

Tinman Member

++1[​IMG]