What's your "perfect room" for recording guitar?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MikeS, Feb 17, 2005.

1. MikeS

MikeS Member

If you had THE perfect room to record guitar what would it consist of? What type of floor, what's on the ceiling and walls? How big of a room? This would be a room for recording any amp from 1/2 watt to 200 watts w/any cabinet.

2. saros141

saros141 Guest

I would imagine the bigger amps would like the bigger rooms, and vice versa. Unless you were really experimenting, you wouldn't play a champ in a hangar or a major in a bathroom.

That said, If I can have whatever I want, I'd like to try a concrete floor partially covered with area rugs, with wood paneled walls, and say a 20' vaulted wood ceiling. Maybe 800 square feet, preferably not too long and narrow.

And, very importantly: not a soul within a mile. You know that State Farm slogan that says "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" ? Bullsh*t I say, a good neighbor is NEVER there :p

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

You wouldn't really want a concrete floor, it resonates. You'd want a wood floor floated over a concrete floor with rubber mounts; one brick or stone wall with irregular surfaces; one completely deadened wall, with a bass trap built in; one diffusive wall, with a diffusor designed for the room; and one wall with scattered absorbers to control reflections.

You'd want a high ceiling, preferably with movable absorbtive and diffusor panels attached, which you can vary to accomodate different setups.

You'd want the room to have no parallel surfaces.

Ideally, something about 20 x 30 ish would work well.

In other words, you'd want a real recording studio.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Barring access to the actual perfect room (as described by Les), my 'perfect' room is the one I'm currently recording in - that is, the only room at my disposal!

--chiba

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

A tile bathroom.

6. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

I generally like a neutral room.Experienced engineers can make great use out of a lively room but I am not as wise as the seasoned pros are.

I almost always close mic my guitar cabs and keep the mic around 4 to 6 inches from the speaker. So far, my favorite floor surface is cement slab covered with vinyl.

If I have to close mic on a hard wood floor, I try to find a thin piece of throw rug that has tight pile as opposed to a chunk of carpet with thick plush pile.

My reason for this is that I hear recordings in really dark rooms that i don't like and these rooms usually consist of an old plush carpet, cloth covered couches and chairs, and other soft materials that soak up high end.

If I happen to need some room coloration, I usually rely on my Lexicon MPX-1. THe reverbs tend to sound very authentic to the rooms they are modeled after. So I can close mic a speaker and give the impression that I miced a tiled bathroom

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Some brilliant answers in this thread. Bravo guys!

Personally; I like using my house. I can move the amps to whatever room I like and in any sort of way to find different flavors. I have put amps in the bath tub; facing a corner, near a dining room table; tilted back facing a cathederal ceiling. Whatever works.

Not "ideal" as in Les's studio example; but the range of tones and flavors of rooms to be found with a little bit of imagination is stunning.

*It also helps when no one is home when trying the above. :D

8. ricoh

ricoh Member

Yep.......and don't forget the stairwell

9. jaimo

jaimo Member

Definitely! Used a two story stairwell in an old turn-of-the-century home I once lived in. Wooden steps, high ceiling, etc.
    Acoustic guitars and amps sounded "alive" on tape in that place.
    Wish to hell I had bought that old house.:(

10. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

Amp up off the floor about chest height.

Floor could be any material but covered in carpet.

Very high ceiling.

Walls about 10 feet apart at the cabinet and tapering away at about a 15 degree angle.

No back wall, ever.

Schoeps mic about 6 feet from the cabinet.

:dude

Huge sound with no reflection from a back wall whatsoever and very little bounce off side walls.

:dude

11. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

+1

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I assume you mean drained. ;)

13. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Your going to love this one , for my last CD I got a Pro JR opened the oven door set the JR on the door and faced it twords the inside ..stuck a boom with a SM 57 at the back of the oven .........oh man with my 54 Org Tele on the back pickup, you might say it was HOT...COOKIN
    {couldnt help that one}