• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's your pref? Klon/Timmy/KOT?

carljoensson

The big virtue of the Timmy (apart from a great EQ) is normally its transparency and way of not getting in the way, not adding anything unwanted etc. Whereas the KOT and Klon both add a little warmth, Klon is buffered etc. It really should be a taste thing. Probably depends on what kind of amp etc./C

Frenster

Put your Rock Face on!
I own all three.

Timmy
KOT
Klon

in that order. Funny how I like the cheapest one the most and the most expensive the least.

pwrightmd

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned all three. I sold the KOT and use the Timmy/Klon as OD and boost respectively (Similar to red/yellow channels on KOT). I liked the transparent drive on the Timmy better than the KOT red channel and nothing beats the Klon for a clean boost.

pold

It would be interesting to hear some demoing the three together, because there is not a single timmy demo that sounds great on internet. I base my initial opinions on Proguitarshop demos, because andy uses the same guitars and same amp and a good mic, so I can make a comparison and get an idea of what a pedal sounds like. But on PGS there is no timmy, and no KOT. There was a Klon vs Kalamazoo and I liked both, that's why I wouldn't mind buying a kalamazoo without trying it before.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
The clean boost on the Klon is my "go to" sound with my Dr.Z Maz 38. I'm still waiting delivery for my Tim, as I refuse to pay the secondary market prices. But for what Klon's are selling for these days............I'm tempted to sell it and buy a new Strat...LOL

It would be interesting to hear some demoing the three together, because there is not a single timmy demo that sounds great on internet. I base my initial opinions on Proguitarshop demos, because andy uses the same guitars and same amp and a good mic, so I can make a comparison and get an idea of what a pedal sounds like. But on PGS there is no timmy, and no KOT. There was a Klon vs Kalamazoo and I liked both, that's why I wouldn't mind buying a kalamazoo without trying it before.
I think this is a pretty damn good demo of the Timmy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MjdyYeRKM

Cheers !!!

Jacobpaul81

They are all very good and for being low gain ODs, they are all very different. I use a Klon and prefer the Clark Gainster to the other two. But depending on amp, guitar, and ears, you'll hear far different responses.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the amp for me. I prefer the Klon for Fenders and the Timmy for Marshall/Vox. I don't know why. The KOT is really nice with everything, but I didn't like the drive side as much as the boost.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have owned all three at least twice each, currently own none of them. I just sold my Timmy last week. I kept my LTD SR and Clark Gainster to use with my 5e3.

I would rank them:
1. KoT
2. Timmy
3. KLON (distant 3rd, I did not like the buffer at all)

jboyjams

I have owned all three at least twice each, currently own none of them. I just sold my Timmy last week. I kept my LTD SR and Clark Gainster to use with my 5e3.

I would rank them:
1. KoT
2. Timmy
3. KLON (distant 3rd, I did not like the buffer at all)
You're making me want to try the LTD SR now...

jboyjams

I had both the Klon and KOT at the same time. I should come up here soon on the Tiimmy list.

I prefer the KOT.
I sold the Gold Klon because I could get close enough on the KOT left yellow side by cranking the volume and using least gain as possible. I wasn't sure about the KOT at first but worked with it and love it now that I set it up right - stock.

iim7v7im7

I own both a KOT and a Tim (no experience with a Klon, so cannot speak to it) and the previous poster stated, it depends on what amp you are playing and where you like it set and what you are using the pedal for. I like them both! I have experience using them with a Fender AB763 BF type amp and a Fender 5E3 Tweed style amp. I use both of these ODs with my amps set where if I dig in with my pick when they are not engaged I will begin to OD naturally. With the pedals engaged it increases the OD range.

I think KOT can work with either, but I prefer Tim with the Tweed. Tim is more transparent, less compressed and a bit less smooth in it's OD character and have fabulous bass and treble EQ controls. KOT has a slight bit of warmth to its coloration, a smoother OD sound, some signal compression and offers supreme flexibility in tone via side flexibility, stacking flexibility and internal trim pot flexibility. It melds beautifully with a BF amp.

Top Bottom