What's your preferred fret wire for Single Cut guitars?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kenni, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM.

1. Kenni

Kenni Member

Hi there, good people! :)

I have several Single Cut guitar re-frets coming up soon, and I thought it would be nice to hear a little about what preferred fret wire you guys like to use.

Perhaps also a little about how you determine what fret wire to look for.. for example, do you pull out one of the old frets, and use that as a guide, etc.

Cheers & Thanks! :)

2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Use whatever size you (or your customer?) prefer to play on. I personally use the same wire on all my electrics. Stew Mac 152. For accoustics, I use Stew Mac 148. Regardless of the number of cutaways or lack there of..

3. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Jescar, and only Jescar. Whatever size you prefer, nickel or Stainless, use Jescar.

KSL and walterw like this.
  4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Dunlop 6105 is the McChicken of fretwire.

5. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Strange question - as if the cutaway determines what fret you want? You'll get lots of conjecture here - mine's Jescar 47104 (.047"x.104") - this is a great fret; not too big, not too small,,perfect for me. I'm mostly using SS but EVO gold is cool too especially if the hardware is gold.

6. Kenni

Kenni Member

Hmm, excuse me... I chose that title since I was looking for some new fret wire for some of my Single Cut guitars...

Alright, thanks :)
    I'll spend some time taking a look at the different wires that Jescar can provide :)

Cheers!

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

well what kind of frets do you like then? big? small? and yeah, what does "single cut" have to do with anything? is that a specific brand of guitar?

also, why do you have "several" refrets coming up? are these guitars all worn out? or are the stock frets not to your liking?

if you've worn out that many frets, you might want to strongly consider stainless. if they're worn flat all over just from playing the hell out of them then whatever size you like would be fine, but if they're grooved under the strings in the chord positions then you're squeezing too hard! in that case you might want to avoid too tall a fret or you'll tend to squeeze the notes sharp.

+1 to jescar being the best brand wire regardless of size or material. (i myself like the big 57x110 in stainless on my electrics).

KSL and Ayrton like this.
  8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

For single cut-away guitars, I'm with Walter and prefer to use 57x110 stainless wire. If I'm doing a double cutaway, then I'd rather have 57x110 stainless. For the rare no-cutaway like a Flying V, then the best seems to be the stainless 57x110 wire. If you'd prefer to go fretless, the 57x110 wire seems to intonate better. The only time I would use something else is if someone paid me, but even then I kick a bit...

Ayrton and walterw like this.
  9. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

10. Kenni

Kenni Member

Hmm, guess I'm more used to the medium/medium-jumbo...
    Easy now... I just added the 'single cut' because I had several different single cut guitars in need of a refret...

I have several refrets coming up because I've bought some old Japanese Les Pauls, where the frets are worn really low.. too low to dress the frets..
    That's why.

I haven't worn out the frets... And I certainly don't do it that fast ;) hehe.

Thanks for the info, @walterw :)

11. Kenni

Kenni Member

Ha ha ha, you're very funny, huh?....
    You don't have to put it like that... I mainly added the 'single cut' because I have several Les Paul guitars with different fret tang width...
    That's why I put it like that..