what's your "The One"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aaron Robinson, Jul 3, 2018.

1. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

2014 Les Paul Long Scale (25.5") in Iced Tea with the R9 neck profile:

I bought this one new. I have three:

The Iced Tea is the best sounding and feeling to my ears and hands of the three.

Why is it awesome?

1. The pickups. A3 - low output with lots of clarity, highs, and mids. Definitely not an overwound pickup. Sweet and rich.
    2. The feel. I love the neck.
    3. I am a tall guy and I prefer the increased area on the fretboard as well as the snappier response of the longer scale. 24.75" just feels too cramped sometimes.
    4. Les Pauls look good IMO.
    5. For Humbucker tones, everything just feels and sounds right with this guitar to me.

2. grumphh

grumphh Member

Out of 9 electrics i have about 7 "the ones" - meaning that either of those seven could be the keeper if i ever were forced into the hypothetical situation of having to sell all but one...

...i am also confident that at any given point in time i could find new "the ones".

3. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I've only got 3 guitars and I dig all of them, but best all round is my 06 Faded LP Special with Pearly Gates.

Lightweight
    Super resonant
    Rock solid tuning
    Cleans up unbelievably good in any pickup setting.
    Dark, smooth fretboard and super smooth finish on the neck.

Only thing I wish is that the neck profile was a tad less wide/flat.

4. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

The Probett Rocket III in my avatar comes closer to a “does everything” guitar than anything I’ve ever played. Amazing instrument.

I’ve got a decent colleof vintage acoustic guitars including some irreplaceable gems, but if I had to pick one ace it would be my Froggy Bottom L Delux. Like the Probett, it does it all for an acoustic

5. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

My 1991 LP Custom
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the top:
    [​IMG]

6. Brooks

Brooks Member

I've been guilty of proclaiming a guitar as a "keeper", only to sell it a few years later as my needs change. But this Kiesel HH2 I got a few weeks ago plays so effortlessly and is so light (I have a bad back), I can say w/ confidence it is a keeper.

Inoshishi likes this.
  7. Johnny Rockit

Johnny Rockit Gold Supporting Member

Nice Bich those NJs were nice.

Mosher Zone likes this.
  8. Johnny Rockit

OK so if I really wanted to narrow it down to one here it is. This is the PROTO for the 25th anniversary PMS Bich series. In the entire world there are only 17 Biches with walnut wings. Fifteen that were made from the PMS Series and the prototype for the series which is this one (serial number "PROTO") and the original proto done in 78. Yup I would say this would be the one.

9. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

Cork sniffer.

10. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My Favorite guitar is a fairly affordable Les Paul faded model. It was the one guitar that spoke to me more than any other when I went shopping for LP's - I was just browsing, really, looking to see what was out there and available, and not in a good situation t buy right that moment, but I had recently lost a guitar to a road accident and needed to replace it at some point. So I found this particular faded LP in the most boring flat black possible - but there was something about the neck and the way it seemed to just vibrate while playing - I came back to it over and over and I knew I had to have it. I couldn't quite swing it right then and there though, but my wife could tell I really wanted it and helped me get it and since then it has really taken on a new meaning.

I play this guitar before any other - I practice with it every day for hours, and it is the first guitar I will grab if the client doesn't specifically ask for another guitar. Over time I've played it so much that I've worn out a lot of things - I changed the nut [twice], tuners, pickups, pots [twice], wiring, caps, knobs, jack plate, jack and selector switch, and I installed Schaller strap locks.

I've played this one so much that I'm actually wearing through the finish in a several places. The back of the guitar is worn in [and in some places like near the edges it is worn completely through the finish down to bare wood], and the entire back of the neck has been worn in as well [you can see how the finish has an entirely different luster then the rest of the guitar from my hand sliding up and down it, and all the wood grain shows through it]. Two large spots on the top have been worn down to the bare wood form my hands. I polished the spots a little with some virtuoso polish to keep the flaking down which has helped a good deal, but the spots still keep getting bigger. Its been through fret leveling several times. I'm now at a point where I really need to refret it, and I'm going to do it with stainless, but I need to find both the time and the funds to do it. Being without it for some time will also feel like I'm missing my left arm.

Some time later after purchasing the guitar, we had a really terrible car accident and my wife actually died twice during a helicopter air lift. They were able to resuscitate her, but not without some consequences. She believes it has really affected her Jewelry making - I disagree. I think it has affected her self esteem; A woman with a lot of scars feels like her beauty and self worth are shattered in many cases. I try my best to keep her spirits up, and flog myself for wondering if I hadn't chosen to go a different way that day or done our errands in a different order if things wouldn't have been different. I love her more than anything in the world, and thankfully we've stood together and our marriage is stronger than ever after having gone through that.

So I had her name inscribed on the truss rod cover, and the pickup selector switch now reads "sugar" and "spice".

Every time I play this guitar it is always a reminder of what our shared life is, good and bad, happy and sad, and it reminds me that she is always with me, even when we are apart.

So that is the story of my #1. Playing certain songs on it actually do affect me once in a while. I intend to play it "till the wheels come off" as they say... or be buried with it, which ever comes first. I'm doing a damn good job so far.

11. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

12. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

If you'd have asked me a couple months ago, I'd've said I'll never have a "The One".

Then I got my Reverend Airsonic.

I never say never, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that this guitar will ever be sold or traded, and I am a serious frequent trader.

[​IMG]

For acoustics, you can see a bit of my Taylor 810 hanging next to it - that one was inherited from my late father, and is absolutely never going anywhere. Not just because it was dad's - it sounds and plays incredibly.

rauchman likes this.
  13. Johnny Rockit

Love your SG, here's a pic of my 1965 SG standard.
    [​IMG]

14. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

WOW not just a whole host of wonderful guitars in this thread but some fantastic photographers as well.

For me, my Historic R9 is a keeper!

[​IMG]

15. wetordry

wetordry Member

Wish I had a number 1 but I have a fender strat, a partscaster modified fernandes strat, and a les paul standard that sort of get equal time. I play one a few weeks and swear it's the real deal, til I swap. Been like that about 2 years now.
    For decades I only played strats but the les paul is impossible to ignore.

16. dazco

dazco Member

Don't own my fav electric having sold it due to reasons i won't bother explaining. But it's a 60's style tele. A classic series with upgraded saddles and pups is all i need. No fancy boutiques, custom shops, not even the baja version. Just a simple classic 60's tele. The alder with vintage rosewood bard and vintage bridge and pups is IMO the ultimate tone machine. Tried to procure another in the last few years but i never see then for sale and my financial sitch is such that i can't afford it easily. But i hope to own another one of these days before i croak. My fave fender tone there is, and fender tone is my fav. So it's the top of the mount for me. I generally play a 60's style strat more tho because while a tele's tone is the ultimate for me, ergonomically i hate them ! I can't reach the volume quickly which is a huge part of the way i play. Gotta have one tho none the less.

A friend had that exact model years ago. The neck was much to small for me or i would have sought one out myself. One of the best acoustics i have played. Tone was sheer perfection. Those old gibsons do vary wildly tho and i have played as many dogs as gems.

17. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  18. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Supporting Member

19. s2y

s2y Member

I have too many "the ones". I enjoy too many tones/configurations. I have a nice Ibanez RG 7 string, 2 Taylor T3Bs, a bunch of old Kramers, bunch of acoustics, bunch of basses, etc.

20. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I plan to keep these 3 and any others I purchase moving forward. 2016 Fender Eric Johnson Strat, 2017 Fender AmPro Strat and 2018 Charvel Pro Mod DK24.

I’m 49. I started playing guitar 34 years ago . I bought and sold many guitars for many reasons over the years - never keeping a guitar longer than a year. Many of them didn’t make it 3 months before I sold them. I made the decision a year an half ago that I was done selling my guitars. I used to keep them stored away in their cases to keep them minty fresh. I stored their shipping boxes in my garage in preparation for selling them at a future date. I refused to bond with any guitar.

Now the box gets pitched, the case gets stored away and the guitar gets hung on the wall for easy access. I take care of them but I don’t stress over keeping them perfect for resale purposes like I did in the past. I play more and I’m bonding with my guitars.

The only thing I will sell and trade now are effects pedals. :D