what's your "The One"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aaron Robinson, Jul 3, 2018.

1. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I’ve never owned a guitar for which I had sentimental attachment or felt was ‘so good’ I couldn’t easily replace with something better, given the money. My loss, I guess. Maybe I’ll get there someday.

2. david57strat

david57strat Member

It's very difficult to narrow it down to just one; but I can narrow it down to two.

[​IMG]

This is Annie, a 2001 Alvarez AD-CK60, with solid Koa top. I had an L.R. Baggs iBeam active pickup installed in it, when the stock pickup died. What a huge difference :). Also, had Chrome Grovers installed, and an amazing set-up done by Joel Grant, of Grant Guitars. This thing practically plays itself.

I'll have had her for seventeen years, as of this past April 6.

[​IMG]
    This is an older picture (Taken in 2004 - about four cameras ago lol); but this is Lya, a 1996 Fender Standard Stratocaster. I've had Lya since May of 1996, so she just turned twenty-two. It's the first Strat I ever purchased. I'll never part with her.

I added the perloid pickguard, It was initially set up by Ted Tom of Fingerboard Extension of Corvallis, Oregon, back in 1999; then by Joel Grant of Grant Guitars, around...2009 (?).

Joel also installed locking Fender tuners, and fabricated and installed a slip stone nut on this one, so it stays amazingly well in-tune, no matter what's done with the whammy bar, or aggressive string bending.

[​IMG]
    I really hated the plain white pickguard that came with her, so I replaced it with this perloid guard and fell in love with her all over again.

The volume pot, the five-way switch, and input jack were replaced, many years ago.

She definitely has some battle scars on her, now - but still plays great as ever. This year, I'll probably invest in a set of EMG DG20 David Gilmour pickups, to rid myself of the dreaded 60 cycle hum, forever, and gain the additional controls (the bass/treble boost, and midrange boost), for additional tonal flavors.

Love it!

Both of these have tremendous sentimental attachement, for me, so I don't see parting with either of them, until I die.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    rauchman and Mosher Zone like this.
  3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Bought new, my '06 PRS Cu24 AP, all stock with a 5-way rotary switch and Brazilian board. Flawless build with effortless playability, and an amazing spectrum of great tones.

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

My 95 SRV Strat. My mom bought it for me at $700.00 23 years ago Many have came and went but, this is the best for me. Countless gigs without issues. Records beautifully as well. I was a Les Paul guy before.

justabubba likes this.
  5. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

I bought this Martin 000-15m without a ton of expectations - I predominantly played electric, but wanted to have a quality acoustic on hand for recording purposes. After a good setup at a local luthier, however, it's become my #1 by far, and I've gone from 80/20 electric to 80/20 the other way. I think the 15 series represents a crazy value - an all solid wood, American made Martin for $1,000 or so used is a real steal. And I LOVE the simplicity of this guitar - understated, but beautiful.

Bossanova likes this.
  6. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

This is a cool thread.

7. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

I WILL have a 357 one day. In black sparkle.

jimbugg likes this.
  8. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

9. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

I'm liking the Reverend love. My number two is a Reverend Club King RT with a duesenberg vibrato. Won't ever sell that one either.

10. Brooks

Brooks Member

That's the best looking Reverend I've seen. I don't care for the look of most of them, that one is gorgeous.

Aahzz likes this.
  11. wmachine

wmachine Member

That ES-175 is interesting, having P90s. From what I understand, that 2006 was a limited edition, and was a (pre-'57) reissue of sorts before they were calling them reissues specific to a year.
    Though quite familiar with the humbucker ES-175s (like the '59 reissues), the P90 versions were not even on my radar until about a month ago when I had the rare opportunity to buy an NOS 2015 ES-175D '54 VOS reissue for a ridiculous price. It is one amazing guitar. I'm still trying to explore the versatility of it. I was not expecting that. Definitely more than just a jazz box.

[​IMG]

12. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I"m 'torn' about it..but there's something so perfect about that pic. LOL Subtle joke, I remember that basically as the 80's 90's David Torn rig? The Klein's are amazing, and those Riveras were fantastic too, I had an M60 I wouldn't mind still owning from time to time.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  13. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I'm at this stage now in my life after being a pretty active buyer, player, and eventually seller of guitars, that I have connections that run deep with all of my current electrics for various reasons and I cannot sell any of them, under any circumstances. That said, Japan made Squier Strat will NEVER leave me, and my 2013 Les Paul 50's Tribute that I bought after my Mom passed and has been my main guitar since (I named her Rena, like my Mom) and will never go away. My Telecaster has been on almost every recording I've made (nothing too fancy, just a lot of Sound Cloud stuff) and it always sounds great. My other Telecaster was one I sort of put together with P-90s and I used it for a long time with my current band...can't let it go....Plus I did some dicey woodwork on that one. ;-)

14. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

e??? likes this.
  15. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

2001 Gibson R8. 40 years of playing and maybe a 100 guitars later.... this is the one.

I adore this guitar.

justabubba likes this.
  16. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My father-in-law has a Klein, he purchased back in ‘89/‘90(?). He introduced me to “Cloud About Mercury”. I dug his Klein, but it was out of my price range. FFWD to 2001, and I got my Klein.(a gift from my wife) What a guitar!!
    The Riveras, were a later addition. I got both M100s for dirt cheap. I’d wanted a Rivera for a long time, but couldn’t afford them when they were new. Funnily enough, a Klein through a Rivera is not a guarantee of sounding like DT/splatt.:banana

big mike likes this.
  17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Strange how that works. LOL The Riveras are awesome. Changed my combo for a head and then moved it along in a fit of gas. I'm much more a single channel amp kinda guy..but that was a really great amp. Didn't quite scratch the 'marshall' itch I wanted it to, but the cleans were fantastic. Acquaintance worked for Klien for awhile. Really cool stuff.

18. mikemjr12

mikemjr12 Member

I've bought a ton of guitars that I thought were the one for a while. But I ended up selling them eventually. Don't think I have a 'one' though I've thought about it quite a bit.

19. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Right now that would be my TAG Hollow T. It was my (almost) birthday NGD last Saturday. :banana

Plays like butter, a real looker (swamp ash/alder hollow body with translucent butterscotch finish and a caramel maple neck), light, and sounds freaking great with the TAG TF1 neck pickup and an M3 minihum in the bridge. I was worried it might be a little dark with the minihum, but it has plenty of top end and no icepick, thank goodness. Hopefully I'll get around to posting a picture.

EDIT Being a supporting member, I tried to upload a pic to a media album as per the instructions elsewhere, it looks like it uploads but nothing in the album, it's a jpg file that is a bit over 3M. Seems to me it should work. VPN issue?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    motokev likes this.
  20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My wife pretty much made up my mind for me to never sell my last XOX Audio Tools Handle, "The Golden Dragon".

I have no way to down load any pictures of it, but rather then leave it with a clear gloss coat over the natural carbon fiber, I had it painted white, then had an artist in Milan paint a golden dragon on the front and back of the guitar...tastefully. I had Wolf Tone double cream pickups sent over to Milan to be used, and the guitar is just fantastic to play.