• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's your thoughts on the Jr Rockett Archer Klon clone?

RYAN1987M

Gold Supporting Member
I tested it with a Ryra and a Decibelics Golden Horse and the Archer paled with the other to, sounded kinda muddy.

So if the original Klon sounds a bit muddy then no doubt the Archer is spot on, but I suspect that it’s not the case so…
Which did you prefer between the RYRA & Decibelics?

Acrobattico

The sound is quite the same, I tested all with a friend and we agree on that. I prefer the Decibelics because the treble knob has a progressive curve, the Ryra seems to have 3 changes on treble, perhaps logarithmic pot?

Stratburst70

Honestly, the most hype-defusing thing you can do is compare an original Klon or KTR to the imitators. Most of them sound so close to the original that it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference.

I lean towards the Wampler Tumnus and Way Huge Conspiracy Theory for their price/performance points. I know of original Klon owners who sold them in favour of the Tumnus, and the CT has a nice lower midrange bump that sounds great with single coils. The Mick side of the D&M Drive is another fine choice.

batsbrew

how does a pedal, like a treble booster, say a naga viper, compare with a KLONE, for pushing the front of, say, a marshall super lead in crunch mode?

mscion

I thought I was done posting about klons but here is my take. After quite a bit of listening to different demos I do believe there is a small enhancement of mids in the Klon as compared to, for example, the Archer Icon. Also the Klon appears to have more head room but not enough overall difference for me to shell out the bucks to join the Klon club. I happen to have a beat up mxr 10 band equalizer I pulled out of a box and hooked it up right after the Archer Icon and boosted the mids (around 500 and 1k) To me it helped produce that "mid" range sound that appeared to be missing. In fact I really liked it better then the demos I've heard of Klons. So what I would recommend is to buy the pedal you can bond with and couple it with a decent equalizer you can shape the tone to your liking, be yourself, and have fun playing instead of anguishing over whether you pedal is as good as a Klon.

Last edited:

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
For me: Nordvang Custom No.1 Is in top spot. Nothing i ever heard including an original silver Klon has that much of harmonic content added to the tone when boosting a driving amp. That to me does the ‘pure magic’ stuff. Then we have the off-the-shelf contenders. Tumnus is a Swiss army knife, always sounds great. Archers (all three of them) have a very different sonic characteristic, but their low mid push is cool for slim single coils.

groovemeister

my silver archer has been sitting in the cupboard lately...it's a great pedal i guess but i don't really need it with the kot on my board. the thing that always bugged me with the archer is how it only sounds good with the gain round 9-10 and you need to be playing really loud for it to be cool. trying to figure out a use for it now - thinking i might throw it on an andy summers board im putting together

mjh42

I'm waiting to see if a
Mythos Pedals Wildwood Edition Mjolnir Overdrive

is offered again. This would be my choice.

Currently playing a EHX Soul Food.......wanting a bit more......

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
I tested it with a Ryra and a Decibelics Golden Horse and the Archer paled with the other to, sounded kinda muddy.

So if the original Klon sounds a bit muddy then no doubt the Archer is spot on, but I suspect that it’s not the case so…
Owning the same pedals, this has been my experience as well.

Acrobattico

The problem with those demos comparing klones with the original is that all knobs are set identically, while they should try to duplicate the original, regardless of where the knobs are at (especially true for the tone control).
I’d love to A/B the Decibelics with an original Klon precisely to see where to set the knobs in order to replicate the sound.

When you see for example how Nels Cline has his Klon set, you really don’t hear that much gain. I know there’s other factor going on but still. He doesn’t run his amp at crazy loud volume, but the compressor is quite high, so it’s possible that the sag of it impacts directly in heow to his Klon behaves.

What a maze huh…

AlexMalaska

how does a pedal, like a treble booster, say a naga viper, compare with a KLONE, for pushing the front of, say, a marshall super lead in crunch mode?
Can’t comment on a Naga Viper specifically, but I have an Archer and a Beano Boost that I use with a Marshall and they both are great for this, but different flavors. They have a different mid emphasis, and a klone is much smoother compared to the ragged transistor clipping on a TB. Both sound incredible and as long as your amp is already turned up to the sweet spot it’s impossible to get a bad sound with either

mscion

I’d love to A/B the Decibelics with an original Klon precisely to see where to set the knobs in order to replicate the sound.

When you see for example how Nels Cline has his Klon set, you really don’t hear that much gain. I know there’s other factor going on but still. He doesn’t run his amp at crazy loud volume, but the compressor is quite high, so it’s possible that the sag of it impacts directly in heow to his Klon behaves.

What a maze huh…
This comparison that is on the decibelics website is interesting. I can't tell where the knobs are on the decibelics but klon's is quite clear. At the end the klon is full gain, which I haven't seen in many comparisons with klones. In this case the decebelics and the klon sound identical.

all thorns no flowers

Silver Supporting Member
have several klones. the archer comes in 3rd for me... 1st being the conspiracy theory, 2nd moskey golden horse & 3rd archer. we'll have a ceriatone horsebreaker soon and im pumped about that... bluesbreaker on one side, klone on the other. its like a better king of tone IMO. i dont love the bluesbreaker circuit but we'll see how it goes.

johnh

I think a lot of this is down to the rig you use (as well as personal taste of course).

i own the Archer, a mini Tumnus and the full sized Tumnus. I find the Mini Tumnus has just a little less mids, more high end and more bass. It sounds like a flatter eq to me. The Archer has slightly richer sounding mids IMO.

also, I don’t know exactly how to put this into words, but they feel different under the fingers. The Archer is slightly more liquid or gooey. Perhaps it’s compression?

all of this is subtle, of course. But it is noticeable enough that, after having both on my board for several days, I always find myself naturally gravitating to the sound and response of one over the other. With my fender amps, I normally prefer the Archer. But I think if I played a different amp, with more mids or flatter eq, I might prefer the other.

Acrobattico

This comparison that is on the decibelics website is interesting. I can't tell where the knobs are on the decibelics but klon's is quite clear. At the end the klon is full gain, which I haven't seen in many comparisons with klones. In this case the decebelics and the klon sound identical.

Yeah, I saw it back in the day prior to get the GH. I meant test it first hand.

Funny fact, years ago I had the chance to test an original gold Klon but I had my car on double line so I was in a hurry and couldn’t test it. What a shame…

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
When they first started making these they were sticking silicon diodes in models that were supposed to have the secret germanium ones. Soured me on the whole Archer pedal thing.

Sencha

Jeff Beck uses an Archer, doesn't he? They released a Beck version iirc. That's good marks in my book.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom