What’s Your Ultimate PAF Tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpagey, May 22, 2020.

1. KiddBilly

KiddBilly Member

I know he is quite eclectic with gear, but knowing Rick Nielsen's taste for old korina Vs, Explorers, and LPs, the first few Cheap Trick albums are no doubt loaded to bear full of great PAF tones

skhan007 and gtrgene like this.
  2. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

In general, I really don't enjoy country music, but Keith Urban's ES-335 delivers exemplary PAF tones...

Higher gain, but Søren Andersen's tone here is stellar...

Dana Olsen likes this.
  3. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

Clapton played a burst with PAF's, and an SG and 335 with PAF's or early patent numbers, very similar if not identical to PAF's.

4. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

The absolute benchmark IMHO

GenoVox and EC Strat like this.
  5. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

Yes, I had a '60 ES345 for many years, and have had a pair of original PAF's in an R8 since I got it, '94 I think. I was lucky to get them before the prices went out of sight.

Mostly the originals have unique clarity with warmth at the same time. In the neck position you can get a range from Wes Montgomery clean to raunchy fat lead, and in the lead position it does indeed have the "shimmer" of a telecaster, but of course fatter. Through an overdriven amp the high end gives a lot of harmonics to work with. That ZZ Top tune earlier is a dead ringer for a PAF into a driven tweed amp. And rolling off the highs a bit on either pickup somehow the tone remans clear, just a bit darker.

I have tried some of the top PAF clones and for some reason they don't quite get there, but I wish they would because I would like to keep the real ones for a vintage guitar that deserves them! I guess I'll keep looking.

BTW everyone seems to say that PAF's vary a lot, but I have not found that to be the case. The PAF's I have heard may vary in output, but the essential sound is usually there. A weaker PAF is still an incredible pickup.

EDIT one other thing, '50's style wiring makes a big difference with a PAF style pickup.

LaughinBones and ripgtr like this.
  6. Plexilover

Plexilover Member

4 great PAF tones:

jimmy

The full concert

Duane

Greeny. PG’s tone before the out of phase era.

Mick Taylor

jpagey likes this.
  7. Plexilover

Plexilover Member

I have an SGLP and ES335 with original PAFs. The best clones can nail a variety of PAF tones afaic. I’ve used them to transform very good R9s into Burst beaters. PAFs do sound different and it’s not just a matter of output volume. Wind offset, magnet size, alnico grade all play a part in the tonal variation. Duane likely had a good reason to keep the PAFs from his Goldtop for his cherryburst.

8. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

My Collings I-35 LC with Throbak SLE101+.

9. bettset

bettset Member

ed king had some great old les pauls that he demonstrated what the pafs were all about. he knew his stuff. he had passed on rossington's les paul cause he said it didn't have the resonance he likes. of course rossington played all the skynyrd hits with his 59. a guy i knew years back had a 65 sg with pafs. they were awesome.......guitar as well :munch

jpagey likes this.