What’s Your White Whale Of Gear…

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Mine is a '00 Les Paul Custom, three pickups, black with a dark blue sparkle flame on the top.
I bought it, played it for a year, and sold it a year later.
I've regretted it ever since.

sleewell2

I'd love to get a mayones reguis 7 w a floyd. I would then put a sustainiac and kill switch on it.

Amp wise I'd love to play a verellen skyhammer.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I have it now. Les Paul Frampton VOS Phenix. Kind of ashamed at how much it cost.

I had an original B.C. Rich Bich 10-string with a form-fitting Anvil flight case that I sold. An entire summer of work to pay for that one guitar. I just wanted something no one else had. Ordered it without ever having played one. Young and stupid, but it was a great guitar that would have been much better had they not tried to make it the Swiss Army knife of guitars. Eighty percent of the time it was on one setting. Regret selling it, though. Pic below.

Had a Mesa Boogie Mark IIIb in maple. Should have kept that one, too. Finicky little bastard it was, though.

T Dizz

Reverse headstock Gibson explorer in black. The only one ever made is owned by Brendan Small.

Let’s meet up in Phoenix and play some rawk!
Silver Supporting Member
I guess I have it now. Les Paul Frampton VOS Phenix. Kind of ashamed at how much it cost.

I had an original B.C. Rich Bich 10-string with a form-fitting Anvil flight case that I sold. An entire summer of work to pay for that one guitar. I just wanted something no one else had. Ordered it without ever having played one. Young and stupid, but it was a great guitar that would have been much better had they not tried to make it the Swiss Army knife of guitars. Eighty percent of the time it was on one setting. Regret selling it, though. Pic below.

Had a Mesa Boogie Mark IIIb in maple. Should have kept that one, too. Finicky little bastard it was, though.

Holy crap, what do all those knobs do?

M

Member 45810

White whale as in “chasing it but never finding it”?
Mine is/was and ESP Eclipse from 2001 or 2002 (not sure anymore), gold top. Back then they were bolt-on maple neck.
That was about a year iirc before the eclipse shape was transferred to Ltd.
There was one at my favorite guitar store in Qc-city and it played fantastically and sounded wonderful.
I showed up a couple months later for the last year of my degree, cash in hand to buy it and a guy had grabbed it the week before.
I’ve been looking for another one ever since without luck. Nowadays they are quite hard to find considering the amount of eclipses sold since their new iteration and the Ltd’s market-share of the Ec.

Walter Boots

Epiphone Crestwood deluxe.3 "new york"minihumbuckers about 116 made in the late 60's.Batwing headstock,fretboard binding,just a sharp looking mid rangey rock and roll machine.

Dave2512

Not super rare but back in the 80's I ran into a 1964 Strat. Back then this was a $1000 ish guitar not the crazy collector prices we see now. I actually traded a Norlin era SG for it. I had a friend that was certain he could teach me to shred if we scalloped the neck. Needless to say we trashed it. I'd like to have a do-over on that if I could be enjoying a 64 Strat now.

TylerE

I really want one of the first year Gibson SG fadeds... with the ebony board and those crescent moon inlays.

Pretty cheap guitar back in the day (Maybe $800 in 2002).. never see 'em for sale used now.

blong

I have 2: a 1956 strat, and the uber, uber rare PRS McCarty Soapbar with a trem. That guitar was never a production guitar. Rumor is only 13 were ever made, all special orders. 3rd PRS from the left, best pic I got right now:

9MsqhC0.jpg

Bob

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
My 2007 Reverend Roundhouse.

When they first came out I really wanted one, but didn't have the money for it. And by the time I was finally able to buy one, they discontinued it and I couldn't find one anywhere. And when they revived the Roundhouse last year I got excited, but when I saw one I was disappointed - they changed the body design, giving it a carved top and a slight offset to the body. I wanted one of the originals, which was much closer to a Les Paul design-wise but with a flat top and a veneer instead of a cap. I decided that if one ever turned up I'd buy it on the spot.

Earlier this year one turned up on Craigs List a few towns away from me. I couldn't get there with cash in pocket fast enough, and I finally got the guitar I'd been lusting after going on 15 years. And it hasn't disappointed - I've been doing classic rock gigs and it's been the number one forjust about all of the gigs I've done. I might have paid a little more for it than I should have, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I'm happy to have finally tracked one down.

wusifqvbvmzm9qq1z9t7.jpg

flare4roach

I have several but off the top of my head:

1. 1963 Telecaster Custom Double Bound Sunburst with rosewood fretboard. (I don't really care if it's a vintage piece or MIJ for that matter. Just never can seem to track one down)

2. National (or Dobro) metal tri-cone at the 14th fret. (Again, I don't care if it's vintage or not)

3. 12 string Taylor

enocaster

Twenty plus years ago I played an early-60s Jazzmaster at the old Rumble Seat in Ithaca. Olympic White yellowed to a custard cream color. Neck finish was smoothed to satin from playing.

It was a really good one and I think about it to this day. I can now afford what it cost then ($3K) but not what it would go for now. Same goes for old Porsche 911s!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom