What’s Your White Whale Of Gear…

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
So...kind of missed on the actual theme of the thread but right now, my white whale is a Hamer Duo-Tone (three-hole) in a dark green finish. Only saw one that was on Ebay about 10 years ago. Shoulda, coulda....

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
My 2007 Reverend Roundhouse.

When they first came out I really wanted one, but didn't have the money for it. And by the time I was finally able to buy one, they discontinued it and I couldn't find one anywhere. And when they revived the Roundhouse last year I got excited, but when I saw one I was disappointed - they changed the body design, giving it a carved top and a slight offset to the body. I wanted one of the originals, which was much closer to a Les Paul design-wise but with a flat top and a veneer instead of a cap. I decided that if one ever turned up I'd buy it on the spot.

Earlier this year one turned up on Craigs List a few towns away from me. I couldn't get there with cash in pocket fast enough, and I finally got the guitar I'd been lusting after going on 15 years. And it hasn't disappointed - I've been doing classic rock gigs and it's been the number one forjust about all of the gigs I've done. I might have paid a little more for it than I should have, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I'm happy to have finally tracked one down.

wusifqvbvmzm9qq1z9t7.jpg

Nice! I had one from the first batch, dot markers on the neck rather than blocks, and I regret selling it. Excellent guitar, sounded and felt great. The only thing I did to mine was changed the knobs to amber top hats. Should have kept it....they're kind of hard to find anymore.

As far as my "white whale".....my parents bought my brother and I a late 50s Les Paul Jr from a garage sale in 1979 for $5......we knew nothing about guitars other than we wanted to learn to play. Long story short, we moved overseas later that year and a few years later, when we moved back to the States, it got thrown away.....They're a little out of my price range nowadays......

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
I have 2: a 1956 strat, and the uber, uber rare PRS McCarty Soapbar with a trem. That guitar was never a production guitar. Rumor is only 13 were ever made, all special orders. 3rd PRS from the left, best pic I got right now:

9MsqhC0.jpg

Bob

That McCarty trem looks an awful lot like mine did. Any chance it's serial #9 44518?

RobDaglish

Two things for me:
When I was on a mini cruise to Guernsey many years ago, I found a little music shop which had the most lovely Ibanez bass - the sort of instrument you just can’t let go of. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it back to the ship on the tenders, and decided I’d get one when I got back home. I’ve never found one since, but if I ever do, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat.

The other thing is something I’m not sure I’m remembering correctly, but my last year of sixth form we hired what I think was a HH Valve PA amp for a musical we were doing, and it was the most lovely, warm and natural sounding PA I’ve ever used.

nightchef

Early 60s Princeton:

fender-princeton-amp-1961-cons-front.jpg

The best clean tone I've ever heard. The worst part is that a friend of mine owns one, and she doesn't use it, but she won't sell it. It's like being in a desert and seeing the oasis right in front of you, so close you can almost taste the water, but there's a river of fire between you and it.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
For years my white whale was the Gibson Crest, a very rare (something like 160 made between '69 and '71) 335 variant made of Brazilian rosewood. They actually do come up relatively regularly - there's usually one or two on Reverb - but they tend to be marketed towards well heeled vintage 335 collectors who want one of everything so they're expensive and they're pretty quirky. There's also the factor that they only ever come up in the US and since googling the name Gibson Crest immediately brings up the words Brazilian rosewood in big flashing neon letters, not something I'd particularly want to walk through Customs with having just paid a lot of money for.

I finally harpooned one though, in the UK for half the usual asking price. It was in early Jan 2020, I distinctly remember thinking wow, 2020's off to a great start, hope the year goes on as it started... oh well.

Here's the whale hauled up on the dock:

Woof.

blong

That McCarty trem looks an awful lot like mine did. Any chance it's serial #9 44518?
Close, but a few numbers off. Very, very close, but no cigar.

I bought mine of 02Singlecut, who got it from Zilmo, who is no longer a member here but started Vintage Rocker forums. It's my understanding Zilmo got it off an artist in Nashville who was the original owner.

Bob

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
I was the original owner of mine, played it quite a bit when I was going through a period when just about every guitar I owned had P-90s. Sold it after 5-6 years to someone in Canada. One I'd like to have back, in an ideal world.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
For me it has been My Perfect Archtop(tm) - a legit, fully-gorgeous Archtop - the most beautiful guitar design to me - that feels like I can play it my way and not feel like it is mocking me and that I will never measure up. So clearly, it must be a Therapist-Approved archtop ;)

I have had a variety of nice and lower-tier Gibsons and other makes. Nothing has worked…so far. But I have played something recently that gives me hope ;)

Hunzie

Parker Fly in southpaw. I don't even know if it exists but I want one. Will take any colour but red or green would be awesome. It is weird and dorky and that is a good thing.
Unfortunately not in a lefty. They did a few of Nite Fly runs prior to shutting down, but no true Fly models. I lusted after a Fly Select Artist mightily in the late 90's. My lefty white whales would be an early 90's Valley Arts custom pro, James Tyler studio elite, or a Pensa MK1, but even if I coule ever find the right one, I don't think I could put down that much for a single instrument.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Well, it's like this, me hearties: this 'ere gold piece nailed to the foremast is for him that raises me the white whale! Er, I mean, for him that raises me a Ron Thorn Flying T for sale!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom